Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They won't fight Charlo yet. Tim would get eaten at this stage

I'm not so sure about that. Tzsyu is the logical number one contender and Boxrec has him ranked that way.

Charlo is incredibly overrated. He was lucky to beat Austin Trout a few fights back and Trout is bang average. Hogan gave Charlo more trouble than he gave Tszyu. Charlo also got beaten by Tony Harrison who is even worse than Trout.

Castano is very likely to beat Charlo in my opinion and frankly I think Tszyu takes care of whichever fighter wins.

I'm not so sure about that. Tzsyu is the logical number one contender and Boxrec has him ranked that way.

Charlo is incredibly overrated. He was lucky to beat Austin Trout a few fights back and Trout is bang average. Hogan gave Charlo more trouble than he gave Tszyu. Charlo also got beaten by Tony Harrison who is even worse than Trout.

Castano is very likely to beat Charlo in my opinion and frankly I think Tszyu takes care of whichever fighter wins.
Everyone you listed here + many others were better options than Zerafa

I don't think people can say "he'd beat anyone in the division" when there's a clear reluctance to make that step up. Covid is no longer an excuse, we can get the fights to happen but fighters have to want it

As I said in a previous post, Tim could be anything but until he actually steps up it's pointless. This is a pointless fight (career-wise. It's good for easy $)

Castano is the hardest test imo fwiw but I'd prefer to see him v Charlo. Would have a big fight feel about it for sure

Good to speculate about Tszyu v quality opponents, and at the moment all we can do is speculate.

I like his prospects, but --as much as I understand the allure of a payday-- I can't help but think that the Zerafa fight messes with his progression, development, evolution and other words which signify going forward rather than backwards.

TT tends to get hit, doesn't have an outstanding defence, so I'm curious to see how he'll go against class opponents (which Hogan was) with heavy hands (not Hogan).

Boxing teaches you nothing if not patience, I suppose. Time will tell.

Everyone you listed here + many others were better options than Zerafa

I don't think people can say "he'd beat anyone in the division" when there's a clear reluctance to make that step up. Covid is no longer an excuse, we can get the fights to happen but fighters have to want it

As I said in a previous post, Tim could be anything but until he actually steps up it's pointless. This is a pointless fight (career-wise. It's good for easy $)

Castano is the hardest test imo fwiw but I'd prefer to see him v Charlo. Would have a big fight feel about it for sure

Agree with most of this.

Zerafa is easy cash and he's local. It at least keeps Tim active but it is a pretty routine stoppage.

However, I don't believe there is reluctance by the Tzsyu camp at all . I do think it is more a combination of Covid/travel restrictions and a few guys wanting to give Tzsyu a miss. He can't be expected to clean out the entire division given the travel restrictions. His camp obviously want either of Castano or Charlo but given they are fighting each other to unify the division that fight, as of right now is impossible.

Zerafa at least presents a viable local option and allows Tim to train for an actual fight which is better than waiting around.

Hogan was a much better win than Tim is being given credit for. Hogan is an excellent fighter. The 4 guys he has lost to have a combined career record of 99-1.

The Tzsyu team are dodging nobody. He can only take the fights that are realistically available.

Last edited:
Good to speculate about Tszyu v quality opponents, and at the moment all we can do is speculate.

I like his prospects, but --as much as I understand the allure of a payday-- I can't help but think that the Zerafa fight messes with his progression, development, evolution and other words which signify going forward rather than backwards.

TT tends to get hit, doesn't have an outstanding defence, so I'm curious to see how he'll go against class opponents (which Hogan was) with heavy hands (not Hogan).

Boxing teaches you nothing if not patience, I suppose. Time will tell.

It's funny, I was thinking the same about Tim. He's pretty upright and tends to get tagged a bit. But his dad was exactly the same. Kostya was one of the great finishers the sport has ever seen (in any division) though so if you didn't get him, he almost always took care of things in brutal fashion. The kid will need to be very nearly as good because he does expose himself a bit.

Hogan went up to middleweight to fight Jarmall Charlo. Tim will be fighting the other twin at 154😉

Hogan went up to middleweight to fight Jarmall Charlo. Tim will be fighting the other twin at 154😉

Wrong Charlo.🤬

Either way, on face value Jarmall is possibly better than his brother anyway. He’s undefeated for a start and is the number 2 guy in the division behind one of the best P4P fighters alive.

By most accounts Tim is the number one contender at super-welterweight post the upcoming unification bout. What value in testing himself against anything better than he has to at the moment? He’s almost guaranteed to get his title shot.

Last edited:
Glad Frank Sanchez got the decision win after his opponent, Aguilera, was trying to get the dq win from a shot that pretty much missed the back of his head.

Aguilera's theatrics during that debacle make Duran's 'No Mas' against Ray Leonard look like an honourable defeat.

Either he's shameless, or Aguilera will wear the weight of that disgrace for the rest of his life. To give up is one thing, to roll around on the canvas and stagger and fall like some B-grade Hollywood actor is something else.

I'm glad the crowd gave him and Sanchez what the each deserved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One judge gave that fight to Conway. 97-92.

Some fights are hard to score, because of momentum shifts or fast/furious exchanges where it can be hard to tell whose hitting and whose getting hit, but that was a one-way contest where one fighter systematically jabbed the head off another fighter for 9/10 rounds.

Madness. Madness!

Disappointing end.

I'm sitting here in ugg boots and dressing gown, easy for me to suggest that a bloke with a closed eye should go out an take another 3-4 rounds of punishment from Canelo. Just a bit disappointing, given that BJ was doing some good work.

But pretty clear in my mind that Canelo was about to hurt Saunders.

Disappointing end.

I'm sitting here in ugg boots and dressing gown, easy for me to suggest that a bloke with a closed eye should go out an take another 3-4 rounds of punishment from Canelo. Just a bit disappointing, given that BJ was doing some good work.

But pretty clear in my mind that Canelo was about to hurt Saunders.
Saunders eye is fookashimad

Saunders was looking good. But to be fair, he stood no chance once that eye went. He could’ve fought on and risked serious damage. He doesn’t have the power to deter a Canelo onslaught, not with one eye. Lives to fight another day. Not a popular decision but I think a wise one.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saunders was looking good. But to be fair, he stood no chance once that eye went. He could’ve fought on and risked serious damage. He doesn’t have the power to deter a Canelo onslaught, not with one eye. Lives to fight another day. Not a popular decision but I think a wise one.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back