Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He got down alright. Pretty undisciplined from Jeff
I read they had a calibrated set of scales in the hotel room and a WBC official in there too and he was right on the limit. Then the official set had him over. Who knows what goes on with boxing its pretty grubby at times. I hope he flattens Crawford even though I didn't like him beating Pac :)

lol, AJ & Hearn don’t want none of the Bomb Squad.

Be interesting to watch how they squirm their way out of it this time. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mayweather fights were on ESPN yesterday. Love the technicians skill and master class. Ability to hit and not get hit, the guy was a boxing genius. Down 5 rounds to zip vs Maidana and despite not being able to see out of one eye for a period, he turned the fight around and claimed the remaining 7 rounds. Didn't show the rematch to that fight but he mauled him. Completely different as Mayweather did what a true boxer does and revamped his game plan and strategy the second time around. He does that in-fight also, as well as get on with business with his opponents dirty tactics like Maidana adopted. So to did Canello who was an undefeated two time champion at 23 years of age when he fought Mayweather. Floyd schooled him and won 11 of the 12 rounds. Showed the Ortiz bout when he head butted Money May so I have no qualms about Mayweather hitting an unsuspecting Ortiz. You can't blatantly cheat and then cry when you get knocked on your ass. The punk deserved it.

Legend of the Sport.

Mayweather fights were on ESPN yesterday. Love the technicians skill and master class. Ability to hit and not get hit, the guy was a boxing genius. Down 5 rounds to zip vs Maidana and despite not being able to see out of one eye for a period, he turned the fight around and claimed the remaining 7 rounds. Didn't show the rematch to that fight but he mauled him. Completely different as Mayweather did what a true boxer does and revamped his game plan and strategy the second time around. He does that in-fight also, as well as get on with business with his opponents dirty tactics like Maidana adopted. So to did Canello who was an undefeated two time champion at 23 years of age when he fought Mayweather. Floyd schooled him and won 11 of the 12 rounds. Showed the Ortiz bout when he head butted Money May so I have no qualms about Mayweather hitting an unsuspecting Ortiz. You can't blatantly cheat and then cry when you get knocked on your ass. The punk deserved it.

Legend of the Sport.
Man... Floyd is on another level in terms of greatness, in 50 fights, he's only been close on the scorecards three times. Truly insane.

I think his greatness was shown against Sugar Shane Mosley. Floyd was on the verge of being knocked out in the second, and in the third round he came out on the offensive. He didn't lose a round after the second. A truly amazing performance.

Not gonna lie though, I've scored his fight against Maidana twice now, and I have Chino edging him out 115-114 each time. It was a brilliant fight though.
Maidana.PNG

Legend of the Sport.

Yep. That Maidana fight was epic. Some of those elbows Maidana hit Mayweather with in the early rounds would have put out most blokes. There will surely no knock on Floyd's ability to handle pressure fighters - as Maidana brought everything legal and illegal to the table in that fight. Mayweather has a great chin. I remember watching the fight and had him down 5 rounds. He pinched those last 7 rounds though, and he did so relatively easy. Great fighter.

Man... Floyd is on another level in terms of greatness, in 50 fights, he's only been close on the scorecards three times. Truly insane.

I think his greatness was shown against Sugar Shane Mosley. Floyd was on the verge of being knocked out in the second, and in the third round he came out on the offensive. He didn't lose a round after the second. A truly amazing performance.

Not gonna lie though, I've scored his fight against Maidana twice now, and I have Chino edging him out 115-114 each time. It was a brilliant fight though.
View attachment 517649
That Mosely fight was sensational. He got rocked twice, but yeah the big one which buckled his knees. I thought he was gone. Good chin and resilience to withstand that and not only fight on but fight on bashing his opponent.

Fair call but I gave Money May the last 7.

Also a mate told me from what he heard and perhaps saw, that he believed Castillo actually beat Floyd early on in his career but the judges gave it the other way. Have you seen the fight? If so what are your thoughts. I've never watched it, and cbf atm but will get around to it.

'' In his first fight as a lightweight, Mayweather took on World Boxing Council (WBC) champion and The Ring #1-ranked lightweight José Luis Castillo. Despite both fighters officially meeting the 135-lb lightweight limit, Mayweather came to the ring weighing unofficially 138½ lbs to Castillo's 147½ lbs. He defeated Castillo, winning the WBC and vacant The Ring and lineal lightweight titles with a 12-round unanimous decision at the MGM Grand Garden Arena before a crowd of 6,920. With Mayweather's win, he became the first lineal lightweight champion since Pernell Whitaker.[77] Judges Jerry Roth and John Keane scored it 115–111 and judge Anek Hongtongkam scored it 116–111, a decision that was loudly booed by the pro-Castillo crowd. The Associated Press had Mayweather winning, 115–111;[78] the New York Daily News scorecard also had Mayweather winning, 116–112.[79]

Castillo (45–5–1, 41 KOs) could not touch Mayweather in the first round, with Castillo throwing 27 punches and landing only three. After round one Larry Merchant pointed out, "Mayweather made a comment in the corner about his left shoulder. We'll see if something's wrong with it, he seems to be rotating it, trying to keep it loose". George Foreman noted likewise, adding "'Massage my left shoulder', he (Mayweather) said, that's not a good sign".[80]

In the first minute of the second round Castillo went down on a shot by Mayweather, which was ruled a slip by the referee. Later in the fight Harold Lederman alluded to it, saying "By the way, that knockdown in the second round [is] extremely questionable, I thought Floyd did throw a left hook and this guy [Castillo] went down at the end of the hook but what you going to do, it's a judgement call by the referee, so it doesn't go as a 10–8 round..."[80] Drakulich took a point from Castillo for hitting on the break in the eighth round after several warnings throughout the fight. With Castillo repeatedly hitting on the break, this led to a large number of his punches landing. George Foreman agreed with the decision ("That's what you want a referee to do"), although his counterpart Larry Merchant had an alternative view: "I think this referee has been altogether too involved in the fight. Too officious".[81] Drakulich struck again in the ninth round, this time taking a point away from Mayweather for using his elbows. Mayweather won the fight by using his jab effectively and staying away from Castillo for much of the fight.[82] Having injured his left shoulder on the last day of training, he changed to a southpaw stance on several occasions to throw more right-handed punches.

At the end of the fight, Harold Lederman had Castillo winning 115–111. ESPN's Max Kellerman disputed Lederman's scoring, writing in his boxing column: "Harold Lederman, the (HBO) unofficial ringside television judge, gave the third round to Castillo, which I think demonstrates that Mayweather suffers from the same scoring syndrome that afflicted Pernell Whitaker. Mayweather is so seldom hit cleanly in his face, that when a clean shot is landed against him it registers all out of proportion in the observer's mind. Meanwhile, the three clean shots Mayweather just landed against his opponent do not make the same kind of impression".[83]

CompuBox statistics indicated that Castillo landed more overall punches and significantly more power shots over the course of the fight; however, these statistics did not accurately reflect the judging (rounds are scored in isolation). Mayweather also outscored Castillo in jabs thrown and landed. Lederman's scoring for this fight may be seen as inconsistent; in both Bernard Hopkins vs. Jermain Taylor fights Lederman had Taylor winning 115–113, despite Hopkins landing more overall punches and significantly more power shots during both fights.[84][85] Taylor threw and landed more jabs, however.

In the post-fight interview Mayweather said, "My last training day, I hurt my rotator cuff in my left shoulder, so I couldn't use my jab the way I want to. My left wasn't as strong as I wanted it to be, but I didn't want to have no excuses, you know, like other champions, you know, when they get hurt they won't even show up to the fight. I get hurt I keep fighting, you know, I want to bring the fans a victory".

That's from wiki

That Mosely fight was sensational. He got rocked twice, but yeah the big one which buckled his knees. I thought he was gone. Good chin and resilience to withstand that and not only fight on but fight on bashing his opponent.

Fair call but I gave Money May the last 7.

Also a mate told me from what he heard and perhaps saw, that he believed Castillo actually beat Floyd early on in his career but the judges gave it the other way. Have you seen the fight? If so what are your thoughts. I've never watched it, and cbf atm but will get around to it.

'' In his first fight as a lightweight, Mayweather took on World Boxing Council (WBC) champion and The Ring #1-ranked lightweight José Luis Castillo. Despite both fighters officially meeting the 135-lb lightweight limit, Mayweather came to the ring weighing unofficially 138½ lbs to Castillo's 147½ lbs. He defeated Castillo, winning the WBC and vacant The Ring and lineal lightweight titles with a 12-round unanimous decision at the MGM Grand Garden Arena before a crowd of 6,920. With Mayweather's win, he became the first lineal lightweight champion since Pernell Whitaker.[77] Judges Jerry Roth and John Keane scored it 115–111 and judge Anek Hongtongkam scored it 116–111, a decision that was loudly booed by the pro-Castillo crowd. The Associated Press had Mayweather winning, 115–111;[78] the New York Daily News scorecard also had Mayweather winning, 116–112.[79]

Castillo (45–5–1, 41 KOs) could not touch Mayweather in the first round, with Castillo throwing 27 punches and landing only three. After round one Larry Merchant pointed out, "Mayweather made a comment in the corner about his left shoulder. We'll see if something's wrong with it, he seems to be rotating it, trying to keep it loose". George Foreman noted likewise, adding "'Massage my left shoulder', he (Mayweather) said, that's not a good sign".[80]

In the first minute of the second round Castillo went down on a shot by Mayweather, which was ruled a slip by the referee. Later in the fight Harold Lederman alluded to it, saying "By the way, that knockdown in the second round [is] extremely questionable, I thought Floyd did throw a left hook and this guy [Castillo] went down at the end of the hook but what you going to do, it's a judgement call by the referee, so it doesn't go as a 10–8 round..."[80] Drakulich took a point from Castillo for hitting on the break in the eighth round after several warnings throughout the fight. With Castillo repeatedly hitting on the break, this led to a large number of his punches landing. George Foreman agreed with the decision ("That's what you want a referee to do"), although his counterpart Larry Merchant had an alternative view: "I think this referee has been altogether too involved in the fight. Too officious".[81] Drakulich struck again in the ninth round, this time taking a point away from Mayweather for using his elbows. Mayweather won the fight by using his jab effectively and staying away from Castillo for much of the fight.[82] Having injured his left shoulder on the last day of training, he changed to a southpaw stance on several occasions to throw more right-handed punches.

At the end of the fight, Harold Lederman had Castillo winning 115–111. ESPN's Max Kellerman disputed Lederman's scoring, writing in his boxing column: "Harold Lederman, the (HBO) unofficial ringside television judge, gave the third round to Castillo, which I think demonstrates that Mayweather suffers from the same scoring syndrome that afflicted Pernell Whitaker. Mayweather is so seldom hit cleanly in his face, that when a clean shot is landed against him it registers all out of proportion in the observer's mind. Meanwhile, the three clean shots Mayweather just landed against his opponent do not make the same kind of impression".[83]

CompuBox statistics indicated that Castillo landed more overall punches and significantly more power shots over the course of the fight; however, these statistics did not accurately reflect the judging (rounds are scored in isolation). Mayweather also outscored Castillo in jabs thrown and landed. Lederman's scoring for this fight may be seen as inconsistent; in both Bernard Hopkins vs. Jermain Taylor fights Lederman had Taylor winning 115–113, despite Hopkins landing more overall punches and significantly more power shots during both fights.[84][85] Taylor threw and landed more jabs, however.

In the post-fight interview Mayweather said, "My last training day, I hurt my rotator cuff in my left shoulder, so I couldn't use my jab the way I want to. My left wasn't as strong as I wanted it to be, but I didn't want to have no excuses, you know, like other champions, you know, when they get hurt they won't even show up to the fight. I get hurt I keep fighting, you know, I want to bring the fans a victory".

That's from wiki
Yep I've watched that Castillo fight, and I thought Castillo won it 8-4. Jose started off slow, but really bullied Floyd around and easily won late rounds.

So Hearn sends Wilder a contract with no date or venue on it as well as there being a rematch option ONLY if Wilder wins.

This after he agreed to put up 50 million, agreed to fight in the UK and agreed to a smaller cut.

What a pair of dildo scabs Hearn and AJ are, they never wanted the fight at all and are nothing more than an embarrassment. :$

Rumor is Hearn put in a call to the WBA to force the mandatory for Joshua before the Wilder contract deadline.

I just wonder what this pair are gonna concoct next to avoid Fury when he comes calling. :eek:

So Hearn sends Wilder a contract with no date or venue on it as well as there being a rematch option ONLY if Wilder wins.

This after he agreed to put up 50 million, agreed to fight in the UK and agreed to a smaller cut.

What a pair of dildo scabs Hearn and AJ are, they never wanted the fight at all and are nothing more than an embarrassment. :$

Rumor is Hearn put in a call to the WBA to force the mandatory for Joshua before the Wilder contract deadline.

I just wonder what this pair are gonna concoct next to avoid Fury when he comes calling. :eek:

Yeah but they won't avoid Tyson Fury. He isn't going humiliate Joshua if he were to win, at best Fury would just box Joshua's ears off and Eddie and co will pass it off as Fury running. But Wilder is another story, he potentially - and probably most likely - leaves Joshua sprawled out on the canvas, or possibly worse. It would be hard to spin and the brand that is Anthony Joshua would take a massive hit.

I haven't seen anything throughout the negotiations that suggests Joshua actually wants this fight.

The Joshua camp want to milk the cow a little longer. I hope Povetkin knocks Joshua out cold. Its unlikely going off Povetkin's last performance against David Price, but if Takam can give Joshua troubles then Povetkin can (as he is a level above Takam).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back