Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pulev, Hunter & Usyk are my guesses for AJ's next 3 fights.
Wilder does the Fury rematch. The winner probably fights White then maybe Kowanacki which is a bit underwhelming.

Shame about boxing politics, I very much doubt we get the fights we want. The top 3 will avoid each other after Wilder/Fury 2

Shame about boxing politics, I very much doubt we get the fights we want. The top 3 will avoid each other after Wilder/Fury 2

I'm only a new convert to boxing (watched Inoue v Donaire when I was bored a few weeks ago and have been hooked ever since. What a fight that was! Been working my way through Kayo's back catalogue rapidly since then.)

But anyway, as I'm slowly learning how things work it staggers me how much boxing shoots itself in the foot with the sort of politics and ducking of fights you speak of.

With any luck Horn/Zerafa picked up by ESPN+ in the states. Makes it easier to find streams

The first fight was impossible! Seriously promoters here are clueless. Only the most hardcore fans had heard of Zerafa before the first fight. Horn isn't exactly a big draw either yet they want $50 to watch.

Dont get me wrong, happy to pay when a fights worth it. UFC this weekend is worth it. A needless Horn/Zerafa rematch? Nope. Tszyu? Nope...

AJ now calling out Usyk, the greenest heavyweight on the pro circuit.

Totally not convinced with Joshua. Can’t take a punch, was terrified of Ruiz in the rematch and looked more like a timid kitten pawing at a ball of string rather than a champ trying to assert himself & get revenge on the guy who humiliated him and took his O.

He and Hearn will avoid Wilder like the plague now.

With any luck Horn/Zerafa picked up by ESPN+ in the states. Makes it easier to find streams

The first fight was impossible! Seriously promoters here are clueless. Only the most hardcore fans had heard of Zerafa before the first fight. Horn isn't exactly a big draw either yet they want $50 to watch.

Dont get me wrong, happy to pay when a fights worth it. UFC this weekend is worth it. A needless Horn/Zerafa rematch? Nope. Tszyu? Nope...
You’re in the US?

$50 to watch Horn..!! Forget about it. Never a guy more overrated on a hometown robbery.

crawford showed Horn just how far the gap is between full time pro and a part time school teacher.

You’re in the US?

$50 to watch Horn..!! Forget about it. Never a guy more overrated on a hometown robbery.

crawford showed Horn just how far the gap is between full time pro and a part time school teacher.
Nah Australia, but if ESPN+ pick it up in America someone will post streams online. At least I have found streams easier when its televised in the US...

Everything has been on Main Event lately. Getting annoying, fans being gouged for every cent

No international TV deal for this fight I don't think so streams probably be as hard to find as the first one.

Imagine being so bad at your job you can't get it aired overseas. It's not going to do more than 30k buys here (Wilder/Ortiz did <300k as some kind of reference).

$50x30,000 = $1.5M in total revenue from PPV. Main Event will take their cut, which for PPV providers is usually 30-50%. We'll say lower end = $450K. A few sponsors might add 6 figures, give or take. Unlikely to be much on almost no one watching. The ticket sales have done well (only single seat ringside available) and might generate $300K gate

Paying undercard, promoters take their 20%, each boxer pays their trainers and sparring partners. Promoter pays fees and licenses, hires staff, books venue etc. They're making very little off this. Doing their clients (and stars of the show) a massive disservice making this invisible overseas. I don't get how they think this is a good idea?!

maxresdefault.jpg

I only just found out that Glenn Rushton, the trainer of Jeff Horn, is also Dennis Hogan's trainer.

That's Hogan on the right.

The guy on the left, Jermall Charlo, was described as 'made-to-order' by Rushton.

As in, 'I'm actually very pleased that Charlo's a six-footer, I go 'beautiful', you're made-to-order'.

Rushton's words, not mine.

Charlo won by TKO in the seventh round, for those wondering at home.

maxresdefault.jpg

I only just found out that Glenn Rushton, the trainer of Jeff Horn, is also Dennis Hogan's trainer.

That's Hogan on the right.

The guy on the left, Jermall Charlo, was described as 'made-to-order' by Rushton.

As in, 'I'm actually very pleased that Charlo's a six-footer, I go 'beautiful', you're made-to-order'.

Rushton's words, not mine.

Charlo won by TKO in the seventh round, for those wondering at home.

Jesus that just looks a mis-match

Zerafa Decision for me. Horn is finished though; I think he should walk away rather than be someones stepping stone

But this is boxing. No one ever retires when they should so expect Horn v Tszyu 1 and 2 in 2020...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No international TV deal for this fight I don't think so streams probably be as hard to find as the first one.

Imagine being so bad at your job you can't get it aired overseas. It's not going to do more than 30k buys here (Wilder/Ortiz did <300k as some kind of reference).

$50x30,000 = $1.5M in total revenue from PPV. Main Event will take their cut, which for PPV providers is usually 30-50%. We'll say lower end = $450K. A few sponsors might add 6 figures, give or take. Unlikely to be much on almost no one watching. The ticket sales have done well (only single seat ringside available) and might generate $300K gate

Paying undercard, promoters take their 20%, each boxer pays their trainers and sparring partners. Promoter pays fees and licenses, hires staff, books venue etc. They're making very little off this. Doing their clients (and stars of the show) a massive disservice making this invisible overseas. I don't get how they think this is a good idea?!
Good breakdown,I just booked it up for $60.

Im talking to a few people on twitter, no one can find anything. Worth noting the hashtag isnt trending nor is it even really in use. Usually a solid sign of public interest...

Rumours Horn/Tszyu are going to do an $18M trilogy series if Horn wins tonight. Who is the idiot putting that money up?! I have beach front property in Alice Springs to sell them

I've looked everywhere for a running liquid, there is nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Honestly I would happily $10 to stream this on my computer. Maybe even $20.

I'm outside of Aus so even if I wanted to pay $60, there is no way I could do so. Not that I would, that's a joke.

Horn has come in from $4 to $3.65 on Betfair over the past few hours.

I was there at Suncorp when the fix was in and Manny was robbed.

This bout with Zerafa is being held in Brisbane.

Now I read on bigfooty that there are rumours of million-dollar fights for Horn if he wins this one?

I don't like this one bit.

giphy.gif

Now I read on bigfooty that there are rumours of million-dollar fights for Horn if he wins this one?

giphy.gif

Of course Horn needs to make it to a decision for the judges to play funny buggers, I reckon that will be an issue (unless they pay Zerafa off as well of course)

I read this on a boxing forum just now:

"Rushton really is a moron he is trying to make Horn wear Zerafa’s gloves and he is explaining this to Horn while eating a sandwich and drinking a sprite and the fight is only 30mins away."

Can anybody who is watching the fight confirm this claim? Startling if true.

giphy.gif
A dubious call by the referee however will be the focus. With Horn out on his feet in the ninth round, the referee called for a break so Horn could get his cut checked by the doctor. That offered a valuable 40 seconds for Horn to compose himself and come back swinging.

No doubt that will be a big talking point.

And horn wins by decision
Lol

9th round being touted as round of the year. Very entertaining fight and no one overseas saw it...barely anyone here paid for it.

Worth a watch on replay if you can. Dodgy check of a cut on Horn saved him, be interesting to see if anything is made of it. Gave him recovery time then he drops MZ after

Horn deserved it though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back