Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So what are people's thoughts on the Fight of the Year for 2019? I went back and watched The Ring's five nominees and for me there were two clear standouts. My personal rankings:

#5. Taylor vs Prograis: great technical display and probably the most even bout of the nominees. Absorbing fight but lacked the out-of-your-seat dramatic moments of some of the others.

#4. Pacquiao vs Thurman: this was like watching a computer game - both guys trading punches non-stop with barely a clinch seen all match. But for all the non-stop action I felt it lacked the drama of the next three fights.

#3. GGG vs Derevyanchenko: love a fight that develops it's own storyline and this had a good one with Derevyanchenko suffering a bad cut early and managing to protect it and outbox GGG for much of the match. I thought he was unlucky not to get the decision in the end, maybe the 1st round flash knockdown affected the perception of the following rounds.

Daylight

#2. Spence vs Porter:
I thought nothing would get close to Inoue/Donaire until I watched this. I loved this fight, brilliant hard-hitting all out war from start to finish. Fantastic performance from both guys.

#1. Inoue vs Donaire: this was the fight that made me fall in love with boxing, so I made sure to go back and rewatch to compare to the others and, yep, it's still my #1. Spence/Porter might have been the brawl of the year but this was the boxing match of the year for me. Both guys showed great chins taking multiple heavy clean shots. Great ebbs and flows with Donaire absorbing a ridiculous amount of punishment before coming back and rocking Inoue, only for Inoue to reassert his dominance despite a fractured nose and eye socket. Massive respect for both guys after watching this.

I haven't seen Spence v Porter, was glad to hear that Porter put in a better performance than anyone thought he would. I'll check it out at some stage, but I find it hard to think that it'd be better than Inoue v Donaire. I re-watched it the other day, enjoyed it just as much as the first time I saw it. The amount of speed, skill and concentration both fighters continued to display until the final bell was awe-inspiring.

Sounds like Horn/Tszyu is going to happen. Interesting fight but I wish our guys would fight overseas opponents rather than always wanting domestic fights. However its the biggest domestic fight we have on the horizon

With that said. Where would people set the odds for this one?

Australian fighting can be a bit insular, but I think that this would --if it goes through-- be a good fight for Tsyzu's development, while Horn would be looking to squeeze out another decent payday. Tsyzu definitely looks like he has broader horizons, and I wouldn't be surprised if he based himself in the US soon enough.

I wouldn't give Horn much of a chance, although I thought that Zerafa would get the job done against him so there goes my credibility. I just think that Tsyzu is too sharp and getting stronger with each fight, and he'd be too smart to let Horn have the fight on his terms.

Australian fighting can be a bit insular, but I think that this would --if it goes through-- be a good fight for Tsyzu's development, while Horn would be looking to squeeze out another decent payday. Tsyzu definitely looks like he has broader horizons, and I wouldn't be surprised if he based himself in the US soon enough.

I wouldn't give Horn much of a chance, although I thought that Zerafa would get the job done against him so there goes my credibility. I just think that Tsyzu is too sharp and getting stronger with each fight, and he'd be too smart to let Horn have the fight on his terms.
See i think despite Jeffs limitations, its too much too soon for Tim. Jeff is no Brubaker...

Hes fought much better competition. Horn beats everyone Tim has, are we sure Tim beats Zerafa, Pac, Corcran etc? Im not so sure. Great fight for aussie boxing though. Ill fly over for it i think

There was some talk it might be held over here in Perth. Anyone one know how much tickets usually go for for an event that size?

See i think despite Jeffs limitations, its too much too soon for Tim. Jeff is no Brubaker...

Hes fought much better competition. Horn beats everyone Tim has, are we sure Tim beats Zerafa, Pac, Corcran etc? Im not so sure. Great fight for aussie boxing though. Ill fly over for it i think

Horn is definitely a step up from Jack, but TT dispensed with JB in a handy fashion, and his trajectory suggests that Horn would be a tougher but manageable fight.

Having said that, I admit to thinking that Tsyzu has a high ceiling and I admit to underrating Horn on more than one occasion. In any case, I agree that it should be a good fight. I hope it's in Melbourne.

Heard Canelo v Maruta is a done deal. Fight to be in Japan

Bit meh. Canelo fights haven't felt anywhere near as big since moving to DAZN in the US. No TV network talks about it until after the fight so there isn't much build-up...

Also Horn/Tszyu all but done. Really good Aussie fight but the winner must go overseas after, no domestic fights. Go for the big fish

Lol that Gib was way out of his depth. Knocked down every time he got a tap.

Sounds like Horn/Tszyu is confirmed.

First reported by The Daily Telegraph, foxsports.com.au can confirm the biggest match-up in Australian boxing has finally been agreed. After longwinded negotiations, Horn will edge a 60-40 purse split for their super welterweight showdown.

The location is yet to be confirmed, though Brisbane is leading the race to host the event. Sydney is believed to be interested, as well as Townsville and Perth. There is no rematch clause.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeff Horn opens as the underdog against Tim.

$2.12 for Jeff is pretty good IMO. Brisbane leading the race to host only helps too.

Horn is a HUGE step up on who Tim has faced. Tim doesn't have the power Zerafa has either. This will be a very stiff test but if he passes it, fair play to him. He'll face more adversity in this one than the rest of his fights combined

Brutal one-punch knockout by Ryan Garcia on Fonseca today.

That kid must have freakish twitch muscle attributes.

Saw him hitting the bag a year ago thought.....that doesn't look normal.

But the challenges get bit tougher now.....Devin Hanley, Gervonta Davis.......a Tim Tszyu fight would be cool.

But the challenges get bit tougher now.....Devin Hanley, Gervonta Davis.......a Tim Tszyu fight would be cool.
Tim Tszyu fights in super welter/middle weight 154/160 Ryan's a lightweight 135, doubt that one will ever happen. Looks like Linares and Garcia next which is a big step up.

I read a quote from his trainer that they drilled that punch during camp, because they were confident that the counter left hook would do the damage. They calculated right!

But it's one thing to execute a well-drilled punch, and another thing to put together the right combinations in the heat of the moment against more experienced opponents. I like Garcia, I think he's good for the sport, and I look forward to seeing whether he's the real deal.

Big fight this weekend - who you got, BigFooty?

I really thought Fury ever since the first fight but the bad cut that probably isn't healed, Wilder dropping him twice the first time. I'm leaning Wilder KO now

Then, watching highlights of the first fight you see Fury staggered the Bronze Bummer in the 12th. Maybe he does have the power to worry Wilder? I have no idea who to back. Finally, a great fight in boxing again, been many months since the last 'big' fight (has been some good ones but I mean big build-up, PPV worthy fights).

I really thought Fury ever since the first fight but the bad cut that probably isn't healed, Wilder dropping him twice the first time. I'm leaning Wilder KO now

Then, watching highlights of the first fight you see Fury staggered the Bronze Bummer in the 12th. Maybe he does have the power to worry Wilder? I have no idea who to back. Finally, a great fight in boxing again, been many months since the last 'big' fight (has been some good ones but I mean big build-up, PPV worthy fights).

LETS GO FURY U BIG DOSSER

I've got Fury by decision. I think you're right about Fury, he does have power but chooses to fight more evasively for his future health (he said as much on Rogan's podcast).

I'm so excited for this one though, the first one was so dramatic, i'm sure the rematch won't get close but it still should be awesome. Add the UFC Kiwi card and it's going to be a great Sunday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back