Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I hope Gallen fights Huni next. People who think he can box are giving me the shits 😂

I don't know how anyone could watch those clubbing wrists to the back of the head and think he's a legitimate boxer.

Training prefight

images.jpeg

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I warmed to Gallen a little tonight when they asked him about the pre-fight 'controversy' early in the night and he had the good grace to look embarrassed about the fabricated shenanigans.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I need to rewatch it, from what I saw Browne did get hit a few times, maybe not super hard but I could believe that his chin is completely gone. He certainly didn't give a fu** about winning at best.
I could have taken those devastating wrist strikes then walked a tightrope after 25 West Ends. He landed very little, even in slow mo

Browne went to the ropes, covered up and waited for the referee. By doing this he's bound to take a couple but it wasn't much, especially for a pro. Pin me, pay me. That first knockdown was laughable

As blatant a dive as I've ever seen

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I need to rewatch it, from what I saw Browne did get hit a few times, maybe not super hard but I could believe that his chin is completely gone. He certainly didn't give a fu** about winning at best.
Some of it was clean, a lot wasn't so much. Pretty much HW boxing for you.
Some decent shots landed, but at the end of the day I think Browne threw in his own towel.
I'm curious to know what coin they all made.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Some of it was clean, a lot wasn't so much. Pretty much HW boxing for you.
Some decent shots landed, but at the end of the day I think Browne threw in his own towel.
I'm curious to know what coin they all made.

I'm on a boxing FB group where people seem to know, common belief was Browne got $130k. Though I think they needed to pay more to get him out of his contract as well, maybe another $100k to his UK promoter?

I'd rather spend money to watch Tyson v Jones going around in their 50s, two blokes who love getting paid but who also happen to have a bit of pride in their performance.

The last instalment of Sam Soliman v Sakio Bika the other week was another fight with a couple of oldies who refused to go easily. It was hard to see Soliman absorb so much firepower but I couldn't help but admire his spirit.

Browne didn't take a 'dive' last night, not unless he had big money on himself to get stopped in the first round, but at no point was he interested in competing.

Gallen struggled to throw a hard and flush shot which would seriously hurt LB, and Browne's biggest challenge for the duration of that fight was to find a half-decent opportunity to look 'in trouble'.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd rather spend money to watch Tyson v Jones going around in their 50s, two blokes who love getting paid but who also happen to have a bit of pride in their performance.

The last instalment of Sam Soliman v Sakio Bika the other week was another fight with a couple of oldies who refused to go easily. It was hard to see Soliman absorb so much firepower but I couldn't help but admire his spirit.

Browne didn't take a 'dive' last night, not unless he had big money on himself to get stopped in the first round, but at no point was he interested in competing.

Gallen struggled to throw a hard and flush shot which would seriously hurt LB, and Browne's biggest challenge for the duration of that fight was to find a half-decent opportunity to look 'in trouble'.
Quitting like he did, is diving.

I'm not saying Galls team paid him to do so or anything untoward like that (I think people equate diving with being rigged which isn't the case imo). Browne took a sum of money and had quit before he even got hurt. That's a dive. Both teams don't need to be in on it, Browne hoodwinked the promoter too

Sadly, not many in the media calling it out, they're trying to legitimize Gallen instead which is still laughable. Article this morning that Huni is next. Please be true!!

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm on a boxing FB group where people seem to know, common belief was Browne got $130k. Though I think they needed to pay more to get him out of his contract as well, maybe another $100k to his UK promoter?
FWIW I think he'd have made more than 130 too. I'm sure they had clauses like PPV buys and stuff in there...

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Quitting like he did, is diving.

I'm not saying Galls team paid him to do so or anything untoward like that (I think people equate diving with being rigged which isn't the case imo). Browne took a sum of money and had quit before he even got hurt. That's a dive. Both teams don't need to be in on it, Browne hoodwinked the promoter too

Sadly, not many in the media calling it out, they're trying to legitimize Gallen instead which is still laughable. Article this morning that Huni is next. Please be true!!

Fair enough, we’re in agreeance, semantics what you call it I guess.

Huni would be interesting, imagine Gallen somehow won? Gallen v Joseph Parker next? 😳

Back