Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You could even argue Mayweather v Pac was one of them, I mean they did fight but both were past their best.

I love both boxing and MMA but at least these big fights are much more likely to happen in MMA.
Are they though? GSP/Silva, Jones/Cain, Jones/Ngannou, Pettis/Aldo back when they were both champs, Brock/Fedor, Fedor to the UFC, Rousey/Cyborg and so on...

Boxing does get most of them done (probably at the same rate UFC does) but some people are just cowards (Bud/Spence). Usyk, Canelo, Inuoe are all unified champs. Those fights are happening, we saw Fury/Wilder. It's only a couple we seem to fixate on (rightly so as they should be made!).

Yet another reason to dislike Wilder too. Absolute w***er

I'm a fan of Ring magazine's 'mythical matchups', where they pair fighters who could only ever meet in the realm of the imagination.

Spence v Crawford may as well be one of those. Joshua-Fury could be going the same way.
Bud vs Errol will never happen imo. A shame because it's easily the best fight to make in boxing

Are they though? GSP/Silva, Jones/Cain, Jones/Ngannou, Pettis/Aldo back when they were both champs, Brock/Fedor, Fedor to the UFC, Rousey/Cyborg and so on...

Boxing does get most of them done (probably at the same rate UFC does) but some people are just cowards (Bud/Spence). Usyk, Canelo, Inuoe are all unified champs. Those fights are happening, we saw Fury/Wilder. It's only a couple we seem to fixate on (rightly so as they should be made!).

Yet another reason to dislike Wilder too. Absolute w***er

I feel like in boxing they might eventually happen, but in the UFC they happen more easily, though lately this may not be the case. And honestly I don't see that you can say fights between guys in different weight divisions in MMA are ones that got away, the weight class jumps are very big, most of the examples you gave were of that nature. Geez I would have loved Brock v Fedor, would have been fun as hell but they were in different orgs of course.

Canelo v GGG happened twice but should have happened earlier, Tyson v Lewis happened late too, Wilder v Joshua was meant to happen a few times, I'm sure there are more examples. But honestly maybe the main problem is two young up and comers will rarely fight each other, everyone wants to get to 20-0 before they take a risk.

One example would have been Jayde Mitchell v Zac Dunn, a young gun would have taken a loss but probably learnt a lot, but those ones never happen but they do in MMA (Jones fought Bader when both were undefeated I believe as one example). I know they're different sports with different models though of course.

So Huni fights on the 26th (next Wednesday), then he fights Gallen on the 16th of next month. Then off to the Olympics. Then back to fight Gallen in fight number 2.

He's a young bloke who likes a full dance card. Nothing wrong with that, but just reading over his schedule wears me out.

I have some reservations based on not much about his preparation leading up to the Olympics. It's a different sort of boxing (obviously), filled with fighters who are more skilled than what he's faced so far in the pros, and to me it needs a very particular sort of preparation.

Related to his Olympic tilt, can anyone offer an educated assessment about what his prospects might be? What sort of amateur was he? Any sense of the competition?

Any medal would be a great achievement.

He's a young bloke who likes a full dance card. Nothing wrong with that, but just reading over his schedule wears me out.

I have some reservations based on not much about his preparation leading up to the Olympics. It's a different sort of boxing (obviously), filled with fighters who are more skilled than what he's faced so far in the pros, and to me it needs a very particular sort of preparation.

Related to his Olympic tilt, can anyone offer an educated assessment about what his prospects might be? What sort of amateur was he? Any sense of the competition?

Any medal would be a great achievement.
Yeah odd prep for an Olympic tilt but he clearly considers that a bonus rather than "the goal". He has a much better pro career ahead than amateur...

Olympic boxing amongst the big boys is a bit hit and miss. Joyce for example won a medal yet is slow as a wet week. Interestingly Yoka won gold in 2016 and isnt considered any threat as a top pro ever. Hrgovic who won bronze, is.

AJ of course a gold medalist, none of his olympic year have done alot as pros.

As for Huni, a medal has to be the aim. He got silver at worlds, Jalolov got gold. Jalolov will be gold medal fav when odds are released for Tokyo i assume.

Fwiw Huni would be amongst the top 3 prospects at HW. Jalolov and Anderson the other 2 (Dubois is young but hes fought high comp already, hard to say prospect in that regard).

Last edited:
Looks like Tim/Zerafa will be off or postponed. Zerafa injured a rib

Bit early to be making excuses so I'd say the fights in jeopardy rather than this being a promo angle like so much rubbish used here - anthems, sponsors on shorts etc

I've been vocal as the president of the Justis Huni fan club but this is tremendous to see/hear. Understands the long game and how big this fight is for future earnings. Too many camps have a short-sighted approach. On top of this he has a fight set for May (I forgot that), then Gallen, then Tokyo all within 3-4 months. Awesome.

He walks through Gallen, I have zero doubt about this but take it slower after that. They're talking top 15, don't get silly or you'll have a Dubois/Joyce situation. Need a good 4-5 fights/camps slowly working up after Gallen rather than jumping in at the top

I cannot wait to see Huni sit Gallen on his arse. This circus of ex footballers pretending to be boxers must end.

It is not good for the sport.

Looks like Tim/Zerafa will be off or postponed. Zerafa injured a rib

Bit early to be making excuses so I'd say the fights in jeopardy rather than this being a promo angle like so much rubbish used here - anthems, sponsors on shorts etc

Best thing for Zerafa to have it called off and for Tim to find a more worthy opponent.

Zerafa will likely get seriously hurt in this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot wait to see Huni sit Gallen on his arse. This circus of ex footballers pretending to be boxers must end.

It is not good for the sport.

I think it is, it’s not like Gallen is taking money from other “real” boxers, and every fight needs an undercard so some up and comers should be getting exposure as well.

I think it is, it’s not like Gallen is taking money from other “real” boxers, and every fight needs an undercard so some up and comers should be getting exposure as well.

Yeah, fair enough I guess.

I just don't like it. I like the 'sweet science' not some clown masquerading as a strongman. I don't dispute Gallen's toughness but he's walking into a guy who has a rather high ceiling. He is outmatched. Badly. In my humble opinion.

I don't expect the fight to last long.

I just don't like it. I like the 'sweet science' not some clown masquerading as a strongman. I don't dispute Gallen's toughness but he's walking into a guy who has a rather high ceiling. He is outmatched. Badly. In my humble opinion.

I agree with you in theory BUT this fight puts the real boxer on the map.

Huni main evented against Jack Mannis or whoever he was. Might have had 50k viewers - this fight will have a million (maybe not all paid up viewers, however), probable overseas TV deal, and bigger commercial partners to deal with moving forward

Gallen also just 'beat a legitimate boxer' to legitimize himself to the masses. This isn't a Logan Paul v Mayweather circus, that stuff i cannot stand

Agreed on your thoughts on the Huni fight. At least we know that if Gallen wins it’s legit, Huni can’t afford a loss to someone like Gallen at this early point in his career. At best Browne was shot and easy pickings, at worst he took a dive at the end of his career, that doesn’t happen to prime Browne that’s for sure.

Agreed on your thoughts on the Huni fight. At least we know that if Gallen wins it’s legit, Huni can’t afford a loss to someone like Gallen at this early point in his career. At best Browne was shot and easy pickings, at worst he took a dive at the end of his career, that doesn’t happen to prime Browne that’s for sure.

Huni is 'only' 6ft 4in which is my main concern with him. Certainly he's not small but the Big 3 are all much bigger than that. He's about Parker's size which is not big for a heavyweight in 2021. Obviously guys like Whyte and Ruiz are on the 'smaller' side but it's still a worry for me.

By comparison, 50 years ago George Foreman at 6ft 3in was seen as a giant.

Last edited:
Huni is 'only' 6ft 4in which is my main concern with him. Certainly he's not small but the Big 3 are all much bigger than that. He's about Parker's size which is not big for a heavyweight in 2021. Obviously guys like Whyte and Ruiz are on the 'smaller' side but it's still a worry for me.

By comparison, 50 years ago Gorge Foreman at 6ft 3in was seen as a giant.

It's a fair point, and it's unfortunate no one gives a s**t about cruiserweights as Usyk has no doubt found out. Jai Opetaia has a lot of potential as well but I feel like he's going to have to put on some size and go up.

Honestly though I think Huni has the hands and skill to piece up some of the bigger HWs, I guess we'll find out at some point though.

It's a fair point, and it's unfortunate no one gives a sh*t about cruiserweights as Usyk has no doubt found out. Jai Opetaia has a lot of potential as well but I feel like he's going to have to put on some size and go up.

Honestly though I think Huni has the hands and skill to piece up some of the bigger HWs, I guess we'll find out at some point though.
Jai and his team have said they will go to HW sooner or later but want a cruiserweight title shot first I believe. Can't be that far away but I also doubt he gets near Briedis.

He also lacks power. Heavyweights will walk through his punches to land a bomb i think

It's a fair point, and it's unfortunate no one gives a sh*t about cruiserweights as Usyk has no doubt found out. Jai Opetaia has a lot of potential as well but I feel like he's going to have to put on some size and go up.

For mine Usyk is completely overrated. Fair enough he cleaned up cruiser but now at HW he’s in mostly all the top 10 P4P lists.
I like the guy but how is he justified as a top 10 heavy P4P?

He needs to fight a guy like Whyte or Ruiz & win imo to solidify that.

In saying that I also don’t get the adoration for Ruiz.

For mine Usyk is completely overrated. Fair enough he cleaned up cruiser but now at HW he’s in mostly all the top 10 P4P lists.
I like the guy but how is he justified as a top 10 heavy P4P?

He needs to fight a guy like Whyte or Ruiz & win imo to solidify that.

In saying that I also don’t get the adoration for Ruiz.

I just checked the P4P Ring rankings and Usyk is #4, wtf? Must be something to do with counting his CW record, squeaking past Chisora puts no one anywhere near P4P.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back