Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
This isn't a bad overview. Looks a solid card, especially a couple of the later fights.

I hope it is $60 well spent. Beers and snacks ready and wife told not to bother me on Sunday afternoon.
So it's a 4 fight main card/PPV, and the 4 fights are all HW fights. Can't complain.

If we're talking cultural impact then I'd always have Tyson top two. I grew up in a tiny isolated town pre-internet and the only two boxers everyone knew at school were Ali and Tyson.

Maybe but if we are rating him as a fighter then he’s not second to Ali. George Foreman’s resume is better. And easily better. He’s number 2 for mine.

Maybe but if we are rating him as a fighter then he’s not second to Ali. George Foreman’s resume is better. And easily better. He’s number 2 for mine.
It’s only WBC’s ratings tho. Of course Tyson is gonna be there for holding it with so many defences for so long.

If we're talking cultural impact then I'd always have Tyson top two. I grew up in a tiny isolated town pre-internet and the only two boxers everyone knew at school were Ali and Tyson.
Tyson is as famous as Michael Jackson or John Lennon in the english speaking world.

Tyson is as famous as Michael Jackson or John Lennon in the english speaking world.

Yep, I reckon he's one of the few sportsmen who transcends their sport into the greater public consciousness.

Whether that deserves elevated ranking from the diehards is open to interpretation, but I'm of the opinion that anyone who puts a sport on the map for casuals deserves a lot of respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tyson too high.

Foreman too low. What he achieved is still criminally underrated.
Sliding doors but if Foreman beat Ali as expected at the time he is probably on the way to being the best heavyweight ever .
At the time he was almost viewed as unbeatable .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back