Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

mcnulty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Crikey. Not being a nark but am I missing something? Wilder has no stamina and no defence. He’s a spud with a big right hand. Entertaining fight, but that’s about it.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Crikey. Not being a nark but am I missing something? Wilder has no stamina and no defence. He’s a spud with a big right hand. Entertaining fight, but that’s about it.

He is a bit of a one trick pony but I have no idea how he recovered from what happened in the 3rd to drop Fury twice a couple of rounds later.

Fury is truly great. Comfortably in the top 10 heavyweights of all time but he’s not in the Ali, Frazier, Tyson, Foreman class just yet. Mind you, once he beats Usyk and/or Joshua then that would be some body of work. I hope he retires undefeated.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
He has always been more of a slugger than an actual boxer , he lacks a lot of the fundamentals tbh

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mcnulty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He was game Wilder but how can you come into a title fight in such poor condition? Fury looks like a broken packet of Sao biscuits but clearly had more gas. Thought apart from the fourth Wilder got beaten like a rented mule. Again, entertaining fight but some perspective on its historical place...Wilder can’t box.

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
I’m looking forward to Wilder’s new excuses for the loss at least Joshua accepted that the better man won
Joshua is well media trained by Hearn. This is what he actually thought when the decision vs Usyk was read out. 😂

1D0CCCC6-F7B0-4A62-B583-BAEF3398E2E8.jpeg

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He is a bit of a one trick pony but I have no idea how he recovered from what happened in the 3rd to drop Fury twice a couple of rounds later.

Fury is truly great. Comfortably in the top 10 heavyweights of all time but he’s not in the Ali, Frazier, Tyson, Foreman class just yet. Mind you, once he beats Usyk and/or Joshua then that would be some body of work. I hope he retires undefeated.
My father has been following boxing for years full on since 1950 and is pretty knowledgable .

He messaged me before as I asked for a top 10 .
He now has Fury at 5 and thinks there is everychance he could push higher .

His opinion is his size combined with his boxing skill would simple overwhelm smaller heavyweights of yesteryear .

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
My father has been following boxing for years full on since 1950 and is pretty knowledgable .

He messaged me before as I asked for a top 10 .
He now has Fury at 5 and thinks there is everychance he could push higher .

His opinion is his size combined with his boxing skill would simple overwhelm smaller heavyweights of yesteryear .
If Wilder can put him down 4x with limited skills then guys like Lennox, Holmes, Bowe, Ali, Morrison, Holyfield, Shavers etc would likely eat him up.
Hard to judge Fury against an amateur in Wilder or from his non event against old Klitschko IMO and this was only his first title defence.

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Wilder can put him down 4x with limited skills then guys like Lennox, Holmes, Bowe, Ali, Morrison, Holyfield, Shavers etc would likely eat him up.
Hard to judge Fury against an amateur in Wilder or from his non event against old Klitschko IMO and this was only his first title defence.
Wilder is 6'7 and a power puncher , those guys although fair better boxers are physically smaller .
Fury might just bulldoze them, he may not too .

Why its pretty hard comparing era's .
He is clearly the best of this generation imo

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wilder is 6'7 and a power puncher , those guys although fair better boxers are physically smaller .
Fury might just bulldoze them, he may not too .

Why its pretty hard comparing era's .
He is clearly the best of this generation imo

There are an awful lot of pub bums on Wilder’s cv. It’s padded more than any other top heavyweight that I can recall.

Pound for pound, allowing for size difference Shavers and Foreman were more fearsome.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There are an awful lot of pub bums on Wilder’s cv. It’s padded more than any other top heavyweight that I can recall.

Pound for pound, allowing for size difference Shavers and Foreman were more fearsome.
The depth through 70s really was off the charts . Its really incredible .

Absolute chalk and cheese those guys in comparison to Wilder .

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The depth through 70s really was off the charts . Its really incredible .

Absolute chalk and cheese those guys in comparison to Wilder .

Yep, it's not even close.

Foreman fought Chuck Wepner in his 4th pro fight. In Wilder's 32nd fight, after racking up 31 straight KO's he fights a bum with a 25-16-1 record.

Ali fought Frazier (3), Norton (3), Foreman, Shavers, Moore, Young, Bugner (2), Liston (2), Cooper, Patterson, Chuvalo, Wepner, Lyle, Quarry, Williams...and plenty more with serious credentials. Fury is great but he only has a handful of serious scalps on his CV. He can only beat what is in front of him to be fair and he will likely clean out the division but he is not in the class of the big 5 of the 70's and 80's...Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton or Holmes. He is not in the class of Mike Tyson either. Not yet anyway.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
For any serious boxing fan, invest the 80 minutes in this fabulous sporting documentary:

There will never be another era like it. Every fight was a major event with huge ramifications on the division. The moment the sport moved away from a single belt champion it started to die. Some of the footage in this is magic. These 5 great champions in the same room, talking through their famous fights.

I'd love to see something similar on the Leonard/Hearns/Duran era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back