Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For any serious boxing fan, invest the 80 minutes in this fabulous sporting documentary:

There will never be another era like it. Every fight was a major event with huge ramifications on the division. The moment the sport moved away from a single belt champion it started to die. Some of the footage in this is magic. These 5 great champions in the same room, talking through their famous fights.

I'd love to see something similar on the Leonard/Hearns/Duran era.

Watch 'The Kings' great 4 part doco on Duran/Hearns/Leonard/Hagler 👍

I find it hard to fit Fury into a list of top 10 all-time heavyweights, but I can emphatically say that his ability to recover and turn the tide after suffering brain jangling blows is supernatural.

True hero for flabby blokes the world over.

Just got around to watching the Smith/Fowler fight. Entertaining bout but man the pro-Smith commentary was bugging me.

I had Fowler at least equalling the early rounds yet they were acting like Smith was completely schooling him. Then they expressed surprise that Smiths cut 'appeared to be opening further' after a round I thought Fowler easily won (that they gave to Smith of course).

They only gave Fowler one round despite him landing double the power shots for the match - it's like they were completely ignoring every punch of his that landed (I had it 4-3 to Smith when it ended and could have easily had it 4-3 the other way).

Looking forward to the Brock Jarvis fight this Sunday.

I don't know much about his opponent, but fighting a Mexican such a long way from home is bound to be a challenge.

* It's on the Garcia v Martin undercard, televised on DAZN.

Just got around to watching the Smith/Fowler fight. Entertaining bout but man the pro-Smith commentary was bugging me.

I had Fowler at least equalling the early rounds yet they were acting like Smith was completely schooling him. Then they expressed surprise that Smiths cut 'appeared to be opening further' after a round I thought Fowler easily won (that they gave to Smith of course).

They only gave Fowler one round despite him landing double the power shots for the match - it's like they were completely ignoring every punch of his that landed (I had it 4-3 to Smith when it ended and could have easily had it 4-3 the other way).

I agree, I think the commentator had only given Fowler the first round and then the rest to Smith, I would have had the first 4 for Fowler.

He's changed last minute to horsehair gloves apparently - the same type he stopped using after he broke his hand a couple of times with them.

And whaddaya know... Wilder broke his right hand again during the fight and now needs surgery... lol.

And whaddaya know... Wilder broke his right hand again during the fight and now needs surgery... lol.

It really *in shits me when fighters do this. It's ok to mention injuries incurred during the fight, just make sure you cop the defeat on the chin, s**t happens etc. Wilder fought with incredible heart and really deserves credit for that, hard to exalt him when he's having a whinge.

It really fu**in shits me when fighters do this. It's ok to mention injuries incurred during the fight, just make sure you cop the defeat on the chin, sh*t happens etc. Wilder fought with incredible heart and really deserves credit for that, hard to exalt him when he's having a whinge.

Or better still, don't mention it. If the press flush it out then fine, he can never be accused of being a bad sport. But to disclose readily is poor form.

Or, state that you would have gotten beaten anyway and the injury had no effect on the fight.

Wilder is tough and full respect but he's a sook and a crybaby. I won't miss him when he retires. The guy is classless.

Or better still, don't mention it. If the press flush it out then fine, he can never be accused of being a bad sport. But to disclose readily is poor form.

Or, state that you would have gotten beaten anyway and the injury had no effect on the fight.

Wilder is tough and full respect but he's a sook and a crybaby. I won't miss him when he retires. The guy is classless.

I'll certainly miss seeing him fight, a lot of his fights have been for free on Foxtel over the years and he was always great to watch.

There's plenty of good fights for him still, I'm more than happy to watch him fight Dillian Whyte, Joshua, even Chisora would be fun.

I'll certainly miss seeing him fight, a lot of his fights have been for free on Foxtel over the years and he was always great to watch.

There's plenty of good fights for him still, I'm more than happy to watch him fight Dillian Whyte, Joshua, even Chisora would be fun.

I really like Chisora (as a fighter, bit of a s**t bloke but anyway). He's not top class but he's as brave as they come and dodges nobody. He's gone deep against Klitschko, Fury twice, Whyte twice, Parker and Usyk who had all sorts of headaches with him for the first half of that fight. The only guy who got him early was Haye.

I really like Chisora (as a fighter, bit of a sh*t bloke but anyway). He's not top class but he's as brave as they come and dodges nobody. He's gone deep against Klitschko, Fury twice, Whyte twice, Parker and Usyk who had all sorts of headaches with him for the first half of that fight. The only guy who got him early was Haye.

Yeah I was confused after the Usyk v Chisora fight, that convinced me that Usyk wouldn't be able to go with the Wilder/Fury/Joshua standard, from my eye Chisora just used his size advantage. Apparently I missed a lot in that fight ha ha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I was confused after the Usyk v Chisora fight, that convinced me that Usyk wouldn't be able to go with the Wilder/Fury/Joshua standard, from my eye Chisora just used his size advantage. Apparently I missed a lot in that fight ha ha

For mine Chisora was 4-2, even 5-1 up after 6 rounds. Usyk probably won every round thereafter as Chisora got tired but at no point did Usyk ever look like he was going to get Chisora out of there. I'm as surprised as you are that Usyk then went on to beat Joshua. Maybe Joshua isn't as good as we thought. Maybe he is dining out on the Klitschko win which came after Fury had also beaten the Ukrainian (perhaps the beginning of the end so to speak) . It's now looking quite likely that the Joshua win was as a result of it being on fight too many for Klitschko and Joshua being in his best physical condition.

Joshua should not fight Fury. He'd get very badly hurt.

It really fu**in shits me when fighters do this. It's ok to mention injuries incurred during the fight, just make sure you cop the defeat on the chin, sh*t happens etc. Wilder fought with incredible heart and really deserves credit for that, hard to exalt him when he's having a whinge.
I had respect for Wilder the fighter and Wilder the person right up until the excuses started after the second fight. Have great respect for his resilience but he hasn't taken the losses well and it's real disappointing.

For mine Chisora was 4-2, even 5-1 up after 6 rounds. Usyk probably won every round thereafter as Chisora got tired but at no point did Usyk ever look like he was going to get Chisora out of there. I'm as surprised as you are that Usyk then went on to beat Joshua. Maybe Joshua isn't as good as we thought. Maybe he is dining out on the Klitschko win which came after Fury had also beaten the Ukrainian (perhaps the beginning of the end so to speak) . It's now looking quite likely that the Joshua win was as a result of it being on fight too many for Klitschko and Joshua being in his best physical condition.

I still want to see that fight happen. Even if Usyk wins the rematch, Fury will still want to tick AJ's name off his list.

I still want to see that fight happen. Even if Usyk wins the rematch, Fury will still want to tick AJ's name off his list.

Clean out the division with three more fights. Whyte, Usyk and Joshua. Then hang up the gloves undefeated as comfortably one of the top 5 heavyweights of all time.

Sounds like a plan.

I had respect for Wilder the fighter and Wilder the person right up until the excuses started after the second fight. Have great respect for his resilience but he hasn't taken the losses well and it's real disappointing.
Me too .
He is a sore loser , its a shame because he showed a lot of heart on Sunday.

Yeah he originally said it was all for his daughter but he ain’t really providing her a solid role model when he whinges like a child and can’t accept his losses.

Fury brings out the worst in the opponents he targets with the mind games. Wlad still hates him.
You could almost see Wilder get more annoyed as Fury took the pi55 out of all his excuses and cheating allegations.
He is the modern day master of getting into his opponants head before the bell and being good enough to beat them in the fight.

Maybe Joshua isn't as good as we thought. Maybe he is dining out on the Klitschko win which came after Fury had also beaten the Ukrainian (perhaps the beginning of the end so to speak) . It's now looking quite likely that the Joshua win was as a result of it being on fight too many for Klitschko and Joshua being in his best physical condition.

As someone who's only been into boxing a couple of years the only AJ fights I've seen are Ruiz x2 and Usyk.

Despite finding him very likeable it's hard for me to reconcile the AJ I saw in those fights with some dominant champ who nearly unified the division. The guy I saw in those fights appears to go into shock every time he gets tagged and seems to virtually give up on winning once the other guy starts to get on top. He's actually looked quite fragile in the fights I've seen.

As someone who's only been into boxing a couple of years the only AJ fights I've seen are Ruiz x2 and Usyk.

Despite finding him very likeable it's hard for me to reconcile the AJ I saw in those fights with some dominant champ who nearly unified the division. The guy I saw in those fights appears to go into shock every time he gets tagged and seems to virtually give up on winning once the other guy starts to get on top. He's actually looked quite fragile in the fights I've seen.
Mates of mine in the UK were telling me 10 years ago that Fury would beat Joshua. Had no idea who Fury was at that stage.

Just seems to have too many flaws against the best , decent punches trouble him and he has now been outboxed by a smaller opponant.
Not a great mix against the best

You could almost see Wilder get more annoyed as Fury took the pi55 out of all his excuses and cheating allegations.
He is the modern day master of getting into his opponants head before the bell and being good enough to beat them in the fight.
He went after Haye and he never really got over it. Fury had him extremely rattled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back