anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
I watched the Maloney V Saluda fight the other night the other night. Was Maloney coasting and not firing full shots, or was the other fella just tough.
Maloney dominated, but Saluda never looked like hurting Maloney. Maloney rocked him several times , but was unable to put him away.
Does Maloney lack KO power?

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I watched the Maloney V Saluda fight the other night the other night. Was Maloney coasting and not firing full shots, or was the other fella just tough.
Maloney dominated, but Saluda never looked like hurting Maloney. Maloney rocked him several times , but was unable to put him away.
Does Maloney lack KO power?

Maloney has 14 k/o from twenty odd fights and Saludar is a tough fighter who fought for a world title. Great fight and a step up for Maloney . Australian boxing is exciting right now with world stage fights to come .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Maloney has 14 k/o from twenty odd fights and Saludar is a tough fighter who fought for a world title. Great fight and a step up for Maloney . Australian boxing is exciting right now with world stage fights to come .

A step up in class, or a step up in weight?
Maloney's last three fights have I think been WC fights. One being a winning fight to become champ..
I think his KO record is a bit padded by early fights.
I am not doubting his ability, just his ability to hurt and KO the higher class.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
But hasn't he been ranked for a long time. He was the compulsary contender for the belt he fought for.
Or are you telling me his last fight was in a different weight division?

I meant he looked great in his last fight and will have to check the weight he fought at. . Sorry for any errors.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Moloney fights at a tiny weight with rare 1 hit KOs so finishes need to come from accumulated damage. As he moves up the ranks its normal to see less stoppages. So long as he has enough power to keep guys coming forward at him for 36 mins he can still win big fights...

Aussie boxing has never been in a better position. In 2022 we will have Jai and Tim likely fighting for unified world titles and Kambosos hopefully in a huge stadium show defending his belt. Add in Huni PPVs, a bolstered regional scene, Hardman, Jarvis etc i think the future is very bright for us. Wouldnt rule out future 80k ticket events if Kambosos or Tim win (Jai isnt that draw yet)

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
I agree that our boxing future looks good. But still a lot of our prospects need to go OS, not necessarily the States, but the UK, They breed some very tough boys over there that don't play the game of holding off big fights like the Yanks do.
Look at what is happening with Tszyu and his title shot. Look what happened with Maloney with his rematch rubbish.
In my opinion, the Brits are prepared to take the chance of a good fight..

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree that our boxing future looks good. But still a lot of our prospects need to go OS, not necessarily the States, but the UK, They breed some very tough boys over there that don't play the game of holding off big fights like the Yanks do.
Look at what is happening with Tszyu and his title shot. Look what happened with Maloney with his rematch rubbish.
In my opinion, the Brits are prepared to take the chance of a good fight..
Agree in some cases, not in others. Babic for example still beats up Latvian painters and Romanian cab drivers. Haney has never in his career been higher odds than $1.01 and there are many examples. Dubois took a very tough fight and it didnt work out then hes been 1.01 in his next 2-3 fights.

Tim has been long overdue an overseas fight but i he really wanted it, he could have done it. Its still down to the fighter at the end of the day. One thing our promoters really need to learn is if you want fights down here it has to be sunday arvo for the yanks and we need to pay more to make guys come. Most seem unwilling to do this...

I think state governments should step in and invest sometimes. People fly from all over, hotels full, bars full. They make big money on these weekends.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
I watched the highlights of the Kambosis Lopez fight last night. Only saw the highlights package.
My first chance to watch it.
I was very impressed by the way Kambosis fought a very tough fighter.
He set the scene early, sitting Lopez on his arse. I think this sent a shudder through the Lopez camp as well as the commentators calling the fight.
Kambosis got tagged later, but was very savvy and ring smart in evading too much pressure. Once recovered, he was still in charge.
I thought he was super tough and not going to take any crap from Lopez. He was as strong and attacking as Lopez. Parts of which apparently , Lopez was going to dominate.
I think that when Kambosis went to shake with Lopez after the fight , Lopez must have said something because Kambosis looked disgusted.
Another sore loser.
How did the one judge score it in favour of Lopez is beyond me.Yet agin a Yank scoring bungle.They reckon the Aussie judges are bad... WOW.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hall has had 1x4 rounder or whatever v Gallen and SBW hasnt done s**t for years. His last fight was stopped 2 rounds early because he was exhausted and went to a decision. Farcical

If people enjoy this stuff, thats all that matters but FMD if you pay for this you'd blow your load watching Fury, Usyk, Canelo etc.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Been watching David Tua fights from way back. Was a monster at fisticuffs.

Yeah, that guy could throw them with the best. Was one of the really good heavyweights to not win a world title.

And was never stopped IIRC. Tough bastard, great chin.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Yeah, that guy could throw them with the best. Was one of the really good heavyweights to not win a world title.

And was never stopped IIRC. Tough bastard, great chin.
Pretty sure only Barrett dropped him late in his career. Pretty incredible to have as many fights as he did at heavyweight to only be dropped once.

He was a level below a championship fighter though and I say that as a fan of his. He had game changing power and a decent set of skills, but being 5'10 and around 110kgs he wasn't quick enough to trouble the best of his era.

Back