news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
In addition he seems like the standard combat sport cautionary tale.

Dedicated and motivated to start, success then breeding apathy, now he seems completely ******* scattered.

I believe he probably wakes up some mornings and WANTS to fight, then lack of attention span and motivation pulls him to do something else.

God knows if i had his money and passive income i wouldnt wanna get in a cage and get punched in the head anymore.
At least a small part of wanting to fight is his fights get additional advertising for his business as part of the fight contract. Millions in exposure

I mean, does he really need it? No. But it's advertising they'd have to pay for otherwise

He's also an egomaniac so keeping his name in the headlines matters

He's also delusional and still believes he's the best.

It all adds up, I believe him when he says 'he wants to fight'. I also know better that he won't be any time soon due to business risk/need on both sides. He needs to be healthier to sign on the dotted line, the UFC will ensure that before anything is offered & I think they want him to extend beyond these last 2 fights. At some point his deal will run out though so who blinks first. Conor, as the UFC doesn't really need him

4 fights in 8 years. That's Danas fault is it?

I didn't say that at all but you do you mate.

What I did say is Dana has done this before. He put Conor on ice and wouldn't sign the DP fight until Conor and DP started going on about doing it for charity instead. Dana did similar with Nate. He did the exact same thing with Francis. Conor has 2 fights left and wants to go to boxing. The longer Dana holds Conor off, the longer it is until Conor can go and give boxing some publicity and the higher the chance it just doesn't happen.

May i ask, what do you think Dana is doing?

If Conor has a contract to fight two more times and everyone is lining up to fight him then why wouldnt Dana get him on a card?

I dont see how Dana benefits from that (noting we all know Dana is a self serving campaigner)
Hes keeping Conor under the UFC banner. That's all it is. Conor sitting and doing nothing is still better for UFC than Conor going and fighting elsewhere.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I didn't say that at all but you do you mate.

What I did say is Dana has done this before. He put Conor on ice and wouldn't sign the DP fight until Conor and DP started going on about doing it for charity instead. Dana did similar with Nate. He did the exact same thing with Francis. Conor has 2 fights left and wants to go to boxing. The longer Dana holds Conor off, the longer it is until Conor can go and give boxing some publicity and the higher the chance it just doesn't happen.

Hes keeping Conor under the UFC banner. That's all it is. Conor sitting and doing nothing is still better for UFC than Conor going and fighting elsewhere.
You really really think Conor's just gonna sit there being Dana's little bitch and not say something to the media more than just ' I wanna fight '
He just told Ariel he wants to fight Nate at the sphere in September. The campaigners all over the place and I don't believe a single thing that comes out of his mouth

Lol the charity thing is hilarious, probably doesn't even spa anymore without getting paid, like * he was gonna fight porier for charity that's straight up delusion

Yeh i get not wanting to retire, youre right on that IMO but i dont get why he and his camp continue to pretend hes fighting or close to fighting.

Thats the bit that seems weird. Let others talk about you, we all still do but SURELY if he keeps "committing" then bailing over and over eventually everyone gets sick of it. Its weird to me that hasnt happened yet.

According to his camp, it's the UFC that's keeping him on ice. I believe him - I think the UFC has made a lot of effort to shut down individual superstars in recent years, and I don't think they enjoyed the leverage McGregor had over them at his peak. They're adapting to a post-Conor world.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
According to his camp, it's the UFC that's keeping him on ice. I believe him - I think the UFC has made a lot of effort to shut down individual superstars in recent years, and I don't think they enjoyed the leverage McGregor had over them at his peak. They're adapting to a post-Conor world.
Frankly that makes less sense than keeping him retired but not for marketing purposes.

If you want him gone then give him his last two fights, against better guts do he gets mauled then boot him…

Frankly that makes less sense than keeping him retired but not for marketing purposes.

If you want him gone then give him his last two fights, against better guts do he gets mauled then boot him…

I don't think they want him gone - they just don't want another McGregor. If he fights out his contract, he's gonna make money elsewhere.

The way they have it he's permanently locked into their brand when he's making movies, selling grog, etc.

If both are at their best, Whittaker doesn't do anything stupid in the first round and he will wear down Khamzat very quickly imo
f6fd8aec990957c7fa6ade605753b814.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think they want him gone - they just don't want another McGregor. If he fights out his contract, he's gonna make money elsewhere.

The way they have it he's permanently locked into their brand when he's making movies, selling grog, etc.
It just seems very counter intuitive to me.

If you don’t want “stars” then roll him out and have him get smashed then let him go. Happened with Rousey and nobody cared because she got smoked badly at the end.

Alternately give him some friendly fights and make some money.

Either way I just don’t see how sitting him is doing anything to benefit the UFC.

I’m not suggesting for a that Dana isn’t a prick but he’s ultimately motivated by himself and money. Either option your suggesting doesn’t benefit him at all imo.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
May i ask, what do you think Dana is doing?

If Conor has a contract to fight two more times and everyone is lining up to fight him then why wouldnt Dana get him on a card?

I dont see how Dana benefits from that (noting we all know Dana is a self serving campaigner)
If Conor agreed to a contract extension Dana would announce a fight within 5 minutes
We saw it wh Diaz finishing up, because he wouldn't extend he tried to feed him to khamzat. Tried to force Francis into a long term deal to prevent him boxing too

Conor going to box and making 20-50 mil while Dana misses out on a slice is the last thing he wants

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Conor agreed to a contract extension Dana would announce a fight within 5 minutes
We saw it wh Diaz finishing up, because he wouldn't extend he tried to feed him to khamzat. Tried to force Francis into a long term deal to prevent him boxing too

Conor going to box and making 20-50 mil while Dana misses out on a slice is the last thing he wants
Again, how does holding Conor benefit Dana?
I understand it hurts Conor but in reality Conor sitting around hurts Dana too, if he’s doing any sort of work for the ufc by just being on the roster it’s mostly negative.

I understand the idea you guys are putting forth I just don’t think it helps Dana at all.

Again, how does holding Conor benefit Dana?
I understand it hurts Conor but in reality Conor sitting around hurts Dana too, if he’s doing any sort of work for the ufc by just being on the roster it’s mostly negative.

I understand the idea you guys are putting forth I just don’t think it helps Dana at all.

Keeping him in limbo and aging him out ensures he can't pursue fighting opportunities after the UFC. He's forever tied to their brand.

I don’t agree but I guess it’s subjective.

At this point I reckon most casuals don’t even associate him with the UFC anymore.
We'll be associating him with the Oscars shortly

Last edited:

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Considering Conor's behaviour the last couple of years, it's very hard to believe anything he has to say. That being said, Dana is an absolute scumbag and I trust his word even less than a drug and CTE-addled McGregor.

A tonne of great fights announced today but that Saudi card is looking particularly good.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He's literally contracted to do a media tour currently for Roadhouse. Him and the UFC lied about his availability just to generate buzz. Conor doesn't want to fight. He wouldn't have agreed to film a movie if he did I don't understand how people don't see this

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If both are at their best, Whittaker doesn't do anything stupid in the first round and he will wear down Khamzat very quickly imo
f6fd8aec990957c7fa6ade605753b814.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
* me he never gets associated with it because he's nice but Whittakers arguably the real BMF on the roster. Like campaigners fought every single middleweight and on the planet lol

Back