news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/St-Pierre-Koscheck-Rematch-Headed-to-Montreal-26650

After originally being slated for Las Vegas, UFC 124 (GSP vs Koscheck II) will be fought in Montreal. This will be huge in Georges' home town, especially after TUF where Josh is going to come around as the obvious bad guy. Let's not forget his comments after the Daley fight @ UFC 113 either:

[YOUTUBE]zQSveKmmupQ[/YOUTUBE]

Bring it on...The Bell Centre is gunna be a rockin'!!!! :thumbsu:

HAHA that was brilliant by Koscheck. He seems like a pretty cool guy. I get the feeling that him and GSP actually get along away from the cage so I think GSP will just laugh off any shenanigans that he tries to stir up on TUF.

In sexier news, Akiyama is training with Greg Jackson to prepare for his Bisping fight at UFC 120. Hopefully Jackson's got him working on cardio, cardio and more cardio because I've got no doubt that Akiyama can put Bisping to sleep Hendo style if he doesn't gas.

You're right Vendrell, if Akiyama gets some serious cardio, he has all the tools to dominate Bisping, he has very good skills, a great beard, and top shelf grappling backed up with quality striking. He needs to refine his gameplans and stick to them though. He seems to have that mentality that can be drawn into a slugfest instead of going back to his bread and butter. Its always entertaining, but Jackson should help him there I'd say.

If he has cardio issues again, he should seriously consider dropping some muscle and hitting 170, where with less muscle to push around and the length and size he has, he could be a BEAST. He's not a huge 185'er by any means.

Few interesting notes and fights have came up in the last week.

Thiago Silva vs Vera at UFC 125
Maia vs Grove and Bonnar vs Pokrajac at TUF Finale
Parisyan back in the UFC to fight on 123 less than a year after Dana said he'd never fight in the UFC again
Duffee has been cut, pretty much for being a dick. His own manager even said he's an ass and I've heard several MMA writers say he's an arrogant douche, one rumour going around is that he'd backed out of a fight at 121 to film a role in a movie

The SMH also claimed over the weekend that Sots would be fighting BJ or Florian in November with a win netting him a title fight on the next UFC card here.

Duffee has been cut, pretty much for being a dick. His own manager even said he's an ass and I've heard several MMA writers say he's an arrogant douche, one rumour going around is that he'd backed out of a fight at 121 to film a role in a movie

The SMH also claimed over the weekend that Sots would be fighting BJ or Florian in November with a win netting him a title fight on the next UFC card here.

Surely that's not it. There has to be something other than going to film a movie in the Duffee case. Drugs? Being an arsehole?? Something.

Also good to see sot's getting his chance. Hopefully he can win and get a shot at the title.

The Sots story in the SMH turned out to be wrong. He's fighting Lauzon at 123.

No idea who I want to see win that one, Lauzon is one of my favourites (even before the awesome beating he dished out at 118) but being in the crowd for a George title fight here would be incredible.

The Sots story in the SMH turned out to be wrong. He's fighting Lauzon at 123.

No idea who I want to see win that one, Lauzon is one of my favourites (even before the awesome beating he dished out at 118) but being in the crowd for a George title fight here would be incredible.

Lightweight pretty stacked ATM
Evan Dunham v Sean Sherk at 119. if Dunham can win this he's surely gotta be considered for a title shot soon

Really looking forward to that fight actually, the way Dunham was stuffing tyson griffens take downs in his last fight was pretty impressive - Will be interesting to see if he can do the same to Sherk.

Lightweight pretty stacked ATM
Evan Dunham v Sean Sherk at 119. if Dunham can win this he's surely gotta be considered for a title shot soon

Really looking forward to that fight actually, the way Dunham was stuffing tyson griffens take downs in his last fight was pretty impressive - Will be interesting to see if he can do the same to Sherk.

That's if Sherk decides to shoot on him. He seems to have gone away from his powerhouse wrestling which made him such a dangerous fighter. I'm hoping he tries to use it to see just how good Dunham is.

The Sot/Lauzon fight seems like a step back for George, but I don't mind it as a fight. If Joe can bring the same aggression that he did against Gabe he couls give George some problems. As for George, I doubt we'll see him fight for the title on our shores unfortunately as the timing doesn't seem right. The card from what I've read is being planned for around February again which would give the winner othe Maynard/Edgar fight just over a month between fights (they are tentatively scheduled to fight new years day).

The Karo re-signing was a bit of a surprise. He's only fought once since the UFC released him which normally isn't enough for them to consider bringing them back. I do hope that he's got his life together though as he's a fun fighter to watch and is still young enough to go on a run at 170.

The talk of Duffee being a bit of a douche came as a bit of a surprise as he has come across well in all the interviews I've seen of him. I wouldn't be surprised if silverscope is on the money and it came down to him doing something stupid like pulling out of a fight to film a movie. I'd be surprised if he's not back in the not too distant future.

Anybody else see Shark Fights yesterday? Jardine dropped his fifth straight fight in a split decision, pretty sad sight seeing him get wobbled several times by Prangley, who isn't known at all for his striking power and usually fights at 185.

There was also the Houston/Soko fight that should have happened in the UFC in 2007. Typical Soko fight in the end, he started out in dominant fashion and all but had Houston stopped, but couldn't get the job done and gassed badly in the second, at which point Houston took over and beat the crap out of him, the fight was stopped about 20 shots too late. The awesome commentary team of Bas and Frye were literally LOLing at how late it was.

Good wins for Villefort and Saffiedine against tough vets in Villasenor and Larson. Villefort was very harshly cut after one fight in the UFC, hopefully he gets another shot after this win.

Not an impressive showing from Daley though, he first failed to make weight and then was fortunate to get the decision against Masvidal, who often fights at 155.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't watch Shark fights but read up on it all. Might have to download the Houston vs Soko fight just for Bas and Don Frye.

EDIT: Just watched it LOLOLOL!!!!

[youtube]QBMOmOKgUk8[/youtube]

That ref was so s**t. Houston had his fingers all over Soko's face and he did nothing. Then Houston delivers 2 headbutts and still nothing. Then the stoppage 3 weeks late! Bas and Frye are officially the best commentary team.

Pretty fun event it was, despite my shocking stream. Soko's cardio is ridiculous. I'm not sure how someone can be so horribly unfit.

Didn't watch Shark fights but read up on it all. Might have to download the Houston vs Soko fight just for Bas and Don Frye.

EDIT: Just watched it LOLOLOL!!!!

[youtube]QBMOmOKgUk8[/youtube]

That ref was so s**t. Houston had his fingers all over Soko's face and he did nothing. Then Houston delivers 2 headbutts and still nothing. Then the stoppage 3 weeks late! Bas and Frye are officially the best commentary team.

"Whoooa I think this stoppage was a little late!"

"BAHAHAHA"

I love Don Frye wearing his American flag shirt in the background at 7:50. Then he looks up at the ref and shakes his head.

Is the UFC Fight Night on Foxtel at all?

I was expecting it to be on Fuel but just had a quick look and couldn't see it?

Edit: Never mind I found it, I was looking at Wednesday not Thursday :D

Although the description says that its a fight between Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen :eek: :D

May as well do some picks for the fight night tomorrow-

Marquardt vs Palhares: I don't like this fight for Palhares. He's on the rise for sure, but Marquardt is as solid as it gets. I don't think a loss will hurt him that badly but it will cast some doubt from many over his ability to reach the top of the division. Marquardt decision.

Escudero vs Oliveira: Oliveira to further impress by subbing Escudero. I'm a big fan of Efrain but I think he's got a way to go.

Miller vs Tibau: Decision. Tibau's a beast but I think Miller's wrestling wins it.

Pearson vs Miller: TKO round 2. I'm not making the same mistake three times with Pearson.

Agreed with all of those picks, nothing against Marquardt though but I'm sort of hoping Palhares wins, always love watching a smooth BJJ transition and Palhares's armbar win against Salaverry on his UFC debut ensured I was a fan, plus the criticism and suspension he got after the recent heel hook win against Drwal was stupidly overblown.

Oliveira's another slick BJJer I became an instant fan of after his debut. Only thing we don't know much about yet is whether he can take a punch. Escudero badly missed weight too so that's another reason to support Oliveira here.

For the prelims I'll pick:

Gunderson by decision, nice to see Yves in the UFC again but he'll probably have his hands full here
Hamman by TKO
Drwal by TKO
Natal by sub
Mitchell by decision, NFI here though, go with the undefeated fighter I guess
Foster by TKO

This is a good little card, really looking forward to it.

So glad Yves is back. WAR YVES!! Hope he gets the W here.

Cole Miller over Pearson. Always be a fan of Miller for choking out that douche Junie, and this would be a very good win for him.

J Miller over Gleison.

Efrain was way over weight at 159. Not a great sign that he missed it by that much, I still think this will be a great fight though. But I'm going with Oliveria.

Nate in the main event for me. Palhare's has a history of holding, and cranking, subs way too long and I hope Nate dishes out some karma here in the form of a much deserved beating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back