news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope it's the union finally happening. Reading the peanuts that fighters at the bottom of the card are being paid, while still having to pay for their corners, camps etc is becoming increasingly depressing. In the short few months since the sale, you can already see the "bottom" of the card being "expanded" - the bottom fighters aren't necessarily receiving less, but more fighters are getting that very bottom rung of money.

GSP and Cerrone are 2 names that I'm happy to hear are involved - I'm only surprised that they don't seem to have looked outside of their own management company to get someone like Hunt on board.
Alot of the guys mentioned have said they are behind the union effort, but it just seems weird rebney would be behind it and WMEs competitor would head it up.

I hope so as well tho. I wonder if the PFA is involved. They seemed promising.

I'm happy that this is going ahead, but having worked for a union before I wasn't that impressed with the notes that I read from the meeting. I know that unions work differently in the US, I know that sporting players associations aren't typical unions, and I know that they probably didn't think it was the right time to detail how they were going to achieve their goals.

But... it's one thing to have a stated goal of getting fighters 50% of the pie, it's another thing altogether to actually achieve that. And they haven't even begun to say how they'll achieve it. They haven't even said how they're going to build their power base - on the contrary, I think it was Kennedy who said that they don't need to have the conversations with other fighters, and that other fighters will come to them. Sorry, that's a really arrogant way for any member-based organisation to think, and it's completely unrealistic.

There are over 500 fighters currently contracted to UFC. I know that GSP, Cerrone and Valasquez are pretty big fish - but they needed to have more fighters on board before this announcement. They needed to be in a position where these guys could be the face of it, but they needed to be able to say that +10% of UFC fighters have committed to supporting the MMAAA, and that they're in a strong position of power to be able to negotiate better outcomes for fighters. Because we've already seen that the issue with GSPs contract is that times have changed since he last fought (Reebok), but he still has fights on his deal with UFC, so he's stuck. As it is - and knowing Dana as we do - he's likely to say "* off, I can do without you 5, but you won't be released from your contracts to work elsewhere".

But if they had over 10% of the fighters prepared to act collectively so someone like GSP can get his compensation for loss of private sponsors sorted out, that's a lot better than the MMAAA saying "we've got 5 fighters on board who are pissed off."

I think the announcement is a way to generate momentum though, that's difficult to do if its all behind closed doors stuff, get out, announce its happening and build from there.

Further to this 50% is just one thing, I suspect they'll be looking for other fighter welfare stuff (retired fighters fund etc)

The UFC is arrogant and will ignore this until its a problem and by then it will be too late.

If Bjorn agrees to unionised contracts for fighters then fighters will start to leave, more of these guys fighting in Bellator means better PPV and more money in. Good for the fighters probably not so good for us if the UFC starts to lose its shine as the promotion to be a part of.

Its early days but im happy the fighters are doing something after being treated poorly for so long.

If Bjorn agrees to unionised contracts for fighters then fighters will start to leave, more of these guys fighting in Bellator means better PPV and more money in. Good for the fighters probably not so good for us if the UFC starts to lose its shine as the promotion to be a part of.

Rebney was fired from Bellator a couple of years ago, he's got no association with them now.

Good luck to them but without McGregor or Rousey they've got their work cut out. And Rousey's already repped by WME-IMG and Conor seems more interested in getting a stake of the company so they're probably not getting much out of them.

Rebney was fired from Bellator a couple of years ago, he's got no association with them now.

Good luck to them but without McGregor or Rousey they've got their work cut out. And Rousey's already repped by WME-IMG and Conor seems more interested in getting a stake of the company so they're probably not getting much out of them.

Ah my mistake.

I get the Conor/Ronda thing however, theres two options here for recruitment.

Land the big guns (Conor, Ronda etc) OR take everyone else. The UFC cant run with just two fighters, if they manage to get a majority of others (who would already be a little disgruntled at the star treatment those two get) the UFC is in strife.

Obviously having a Conor or Ronda would pretty end the war before its begun but the UFC knows they need to keep them happy and they do it (ive alluded to it before).

Honestly I didn't think they would get a union off the ground in a long long time, let alone one with GSP, Cain, Cowboy and TJ (3 former champs and 1 superstar)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the association gets enough members on board, just about any demand, as long as its reasonable will either be granted or the UFC owners would be ****ed.

The UFC has PPV and TV partners as well as stadium deals that they have obligations to hold events with over the next 12 months.

If a decent chunk of fighters (say 40-50%, with mix of big and small names) refuse to fight and sit on the fence while waiting for the UFC to meet demands or at least make fair compromises, there is zero chance WME-IMG can pay the loans they took out to purchase the UFC.

Its sorta of what makes the CMFEU so effective. drop tools for half a day and get 30% of the workers to walk up swanson street, ******* all traffic and buisnesses, and the government usually gives them what they want.

The only thing worse for the UFCs bottom line than a fair revenue share, is no revenue.

There would literally be nothing to argue about. as long as they can get enough fighter support, fighter rights/pay should drastically increase over the next few years without much public fuss imo.

I believe he took dick pills.... i doubt his motovation behind it. he was cooked for sure.

The whole time the MF was lying and going for the PC answer.

The part where joe asked him if he writes stuff down, and he went on to just not make sense while talking out his arse because he thought it was the right thing to do was so cringey.

Just be yaself.. a bad mofo who likes to party. id really like that guy, i know it.

So two updates

1- Dana White saying he offered Cyborg a 145 pd title fight (as in would be the inaugural one) and she turned it down... twice. Makes me wonder why they didn't give Cyborg the title then book a fight (like they did with Ronda) and also makes me pissed at Cyborg, sure she said she couldn't make weight in 8 weeks (which is suprising) but every time you start to warm to her something like this crops up.

2- Fighters union saying they have 200 fighters in the UFC signed up, soild, if true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back