news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of the appeal of UFC PPV v boxing ones was stacked cards. You got 4-5 good fights for the price rather than just one

That's slowly stopped to the point the norm is one good fight. It's smart business until people stop caring and you're not creating new stars we pay to see because the majority is just watching 1 fight per card
There's like 40 cards per year. It's impossible to stack cards now because they need headliners for fight night.

And speaking of Khabib/Ferg

Ferg is $41 to win via TKO in Rd 4
$51 TKO Rd 5.
There are much worse ways to spend $20. A lot better than buying a lottery ticket anyway...

I do already have Kayo so I get all the fights nights on that anyway, so it is tough to justify both. But watching old fights in HD easily would probably be worth it for a try.

I guess it all depends on how often you'd be watching old fights. $10 per month isn't a large outlay, but if you were only watching it once or twice a month it doesn't really seem worth it. If other fight promotions appeal to you (I believe all LFA cards will be shown on fightpass now as well as several good grappling/kickboxing cards) it would be well worth it. Otherwise, like Daz said above you can sign up for a month at a time when you're feeling nostalgic and cancel.

So my brother tells me yesterday he plans to turn pro in MMA, he trains at Resilence.

I remember you talking about him previously. He's a judoka if I remember right? Best of luck to him. Make sure you keep us posted on his progress!

I guess it all depends on how often you'd be watching old fights. $10 per month isn't a large outlay, but if you were only watching it once or twice a month it doesn't really seem worth it. If other fight promotions appeal to you (I believe all LFA cards will be shown on fightpass now as well as several good grappling/kickboxing cards) it would be well worth it. Otherwise, like Daz said above you can sign up for a month at a time when you're feeling nostalgic and cancel.

I remember you talking about him previously. He's a judoka if I remember right? Best of luck to him. Make sure you keep us posted on his progress!
Yeah, went to a couple of olympics in judo and a couple of word championships in wrestling. Also think he won a couple of nationals in BJJ purple/brown belt but i think he mainly used his other skills to control and nullify his opponents. Will do.

Yeah, went to a couple of olympics in judo and a couple of word championships in wrestling. Also think he won a couple of nationals in BJJ purple/brown belt but i think he mainly used his other skills to control and nullify his opponents. Will do.

Wow, those are some reasonable credentials! What age is he and what sort of striking background does he have?

Wow, those are some reasonable credentials! What age is he and what sort of striking background does he have?
30. I think striking will be a bit of a hole in his game but tbh I haven’t seen it.

I do already have Kayo so I get all the fights nights on that anyway, so it is tough to justify both. But watching old fights in HD easily would probably be worth it for a try.
You can watch the fight nights live on Kayo??? I had no idea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opinion time
The double belt thing is bullshit. Id only respect it if they were both defended.
Don't get me wrong I'll watch the crossover division fights and love them but it doesn't really add as much to your resume as defending your title multiple times.
agreed.

true champions (like Issy) respect their own division and defend the title many times before they even think about going for another belt.

Really hurts the sport having the Conor's who win the belt and rather than defend it 3-5 times, look to move up/down and capture another belt. Holds 2 divisions up and is completely disrespectful to all other contenders in both divisions.

agreed.

true champions (like Issy) respect their own division and defend the title many times before they even think about going for another belt.

Really hurts the sport having the Conor's who win the belt and rather than defend it 3-5 times, look to move up/down and capture another belt. Holds 2 divisions up and is completely disrespectful to all other contenders in both divisions.
The fighters shouldn't be blamed for trying to capitalize on their new fame. It's the UFC who should either not grant immediate title shots or strip them of the belt if they want to move up...

The double champ nonsense should be for special occasions where someone has cleaned out a division or it's a fight we're desperate to see. Cejudo is being a tool but if Izzy fought Jones instead of Costa/Romero I'd be OK with it tbh

Cejudo is being a tool but if Izzy fought Jones instead of Costa/Romero I'd be OK with it tbh
Cejudo is being a tool agreed

But nonsense about Issy. Bloke hasn't even defended his belt once yet. Imo if he beat Romero/Costa/Cannonier and maybe Whittaker again then he'd have cleaned the division out enough for me to be comfortable holding the division up to fight in another division.

Jones is someone who has earnt the right to challenge in another division while holding his LHW belt simultaneously.

Cejudo is being a tool agreed

But nonsense about Issy. Bloke hasn't even defended his belt once yet. Imo if he beat Romero/Costa/Cannonier and maybe Whittaker again then he'd have cleaned the division out enough for me to be comfortable holding the division up to fight in another division.

Jones is someone who has earnt the right to challenge in another division while holding his LHW belt simultaneously.
He beat Gastelum & Whittaker who I believe to be better than Cannonier definitely. Costa the last fight really worth doing before he can leave but if I never saw that I wouldn't be upset...

The Romero fight is a bit pointless, Yoel is what 1-3 in his last 4 and never makes weight. Why risk putting the belt on him? Izzy v Jones would be huge

Personally, I rate Cannonier & Yoel over Gastelum.

He only missed weight twice, one of which was 0.2 of a pound. There are worse offenders than him.

eg.
I noticed that Ray Borg said in April last year that if he ever missed weight again he'd retire - I wonder how many tweet's he's gonna get this week. :tearsofjoy:

He beat Gastelum & Whittaker who I believe to be better than Cannonier definitely. Costa the last fight really worth doing before he can leave but if I never saw that I wouldn't be upset...

The Romero fight is a bit pointless, Yoel is what 1-3 in his last 4 and never makes weight. Why risk putting the belt on him? Izzy v Jones would be huge
Kevin's last outing was horrible

Cannonier's been looking great recently and his last 2 losses happen to come to the 2 top contenders @ LHW right now. Not like he's lost to scrubs.

Yoel could arguably be 3-1 in those 4 fights, and has only missed weight once/twice in his career.

No doubt Issy v Jones would be massive but Israel's already put a time/date on when he wants to fight Jones (2021) as well as said he wants to fight @ middleweight and be a real champion. He'll have minimum 2-3 more fights before he moves up (and who knows in MMA, either of them could lose their championship before then).

Cejudo is the cringiest guy I’ve ever seen. If someone could humble him that would be great

Kevin's last outing was horrible

Cannonier's been looking great recently and his last 2 losses happen to come to the 2 top contenders @ LHW right now. Not like he's lost to scrubs.

Yoel could arguably be 3-1 in those 4 fights, and has only missed weight once/twice in his career.

No doubt Issy v Jones would be massive but Israel's already put a time/date on when he wants to fight Jones (2021) as well as said he wants to fight @ middleweight and be a real champion. He'll have minimum 2-3 more fights before he moves up (and who knows in MMA, either of them could lose their championship before then).
Cannonier is definitely legit. Defiantly looks like middleweight is where he is best at. As far as Jones vs Adesanya goes I would love to see that. It’s probably second on my list for fights I most want to see after Khabib Ferguson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back