news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are champs feeling the need to walk away from their title and the sport in order to gain leverage? Which side is being unreasonable here?

From what I can gather. Dana white has been caught lying once again and Jon Jones isn't coping it.

Dana has handled this one really bad.

It's interesting. In regards to Jon it seems directly related to the Ngannou fight he was angling for. That fight would have done serious numbers IMO.

Doesn't mean Jon wasn't being unreasonable at the negotiating table. I don't trust a word out of Danas mouth these days either hence the question.

Cejudo doing this is one thing but Jones is one of their top handful of draws.
Is he a top draw? I'm not sure he's been in a high profile fight since DC2 and the UFC is probably sick of the negative press around him. Don't think they'd really care if there was new champion at LHW

Is he a top draw? I'm not sure he's been in a high profile fight since DC2 and the UFC is probably sick of the negative press around him. Don't think they'd really care if there was new champion at LHW
Depending on how you define a top draw I guess. He'd be in or close to the top 5 UFC draws. Jones/Smith did over 700k, Jones/Ngannou does 1 mil IMO

Depending on how you define a top draw I guess. He'd be in or close to the top 5 UFC draws. Jones/Smith did over 700k, Jones/Ngannou does 1 mil IMO
Sure which is good figures, but I guess depending on what Jones is asking for they aren't record breaking or anything. Plus with the ESPN deal they don't care about big PPVs anymore. They've got guaranteed business and income

Sure which is good figures, but I guess depending on what Jones is asking for they aren't record breaking or anything. Plus with the ESPN deal they don't care about big PPVs anymore. They've got guaranteed business and income
I agree with all of that but instead of saying they don't care about numbers, maybe it's not all about the numbers now.

I agree with all of that but instead of saying they don't care about numbers, maybe it's not all about the numbers now.
I just think after McGregor almost became bigger than the UFC the UFC are trying to put a stop to individuals welding all the power

Dana is & always has been a total scumbag. Never understood how people can like his persona.
Greedy, lying, fake prick is what he is

It's interesting. In regards to Jon it seems directly related to the Ngannou fight he was angling for. That fight would have done serious numbers IMO.

Doesn't mean Jon wasn't being unreasonable at the negotiating table. I don't trust a word out of Danas mouth these days either hence the question.

Cejudo doing this is one thing but Jones is one of their top handful of draws.
Jones v Ngannou should have been pretty easy to do when both publicly want it. I think Dana's bosses put a stop to it. Up to their eyeballs in debt, they aren't taking any risks...

125, 135, 205 vacant
155 & 185 champ can't fight due to travel restrictions
Stipe has his day job on atm

You'd think UFC would want a big fight but instead, they cheap out. Thankfully we have Eye/Calvillo on soon - what a banger of a fight LOL!!

I just think after McGregor almost became bigger than the UFC the UFC are trying to put a stop to individuals welding all the power
I've said this for years about the UFC's promotion (or lack of). They promote the UFC brand, not the stars. Best way to keep fighter payroll low...

You've got Devin Haney making $1M+ a fight in boxing. A 21 year old kid yet fighters like Ngannou who should be stars for the UFC aren't even main eventing and making $250K.

Stipe is a fireman & paramedic, longest-reigning HW champ ever. Should be popular as f*ck over there but he gets no recognition or push. UFC are deliberate in their approach not promoting fighters and when they do, they're cheap ones like Sage, O'Malley etc. The second they ask for more like Mas is, Diaz has etc. They go quiet...

I think Dana just lies/trolls to create interest sometimes. He twists the truth and doesn't answer questions properly, just carries on about bs.
He's a hell of a promoter though. Definitely adds interest.
Nothing big for Jones at LHW atm. He needs Izzy, Francis, Miocic or DC to make that good BIG coin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I can gather. Dana white has been caught lying once again and Jon Jones isn't coping it.

Dana has handled this one really bad.

I don’t trust Dana as far as I can throw him but I’m not sure why anyone would assume what Jon is saying is more reliable. These two both have lots and lots of form with dishonesty.

Dana is & always has been a total scumbag. Never understood how people can like his persona.
Greedy, lying, fake prick is what he is
He may be some or all those things but he's the best combat sports promoter in the world. His obsessive, belligerent way in doing things his way has put the UFC where it is today. The UFC like most sports could have continued to sit out from the covid-19 sh!t.......but Dana & the UFC find a way to come back and make the working environment safe.

That is because he has dominated the division so much that there is no other big name to fight him

If he goes up to heavy weight this might change

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

That is because he has dominated the division so much that there is no other big name to fight him

If he goes up to heavy weight this might change

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Fair enough too if he has no motivation to fight at LHW anymore, Reyes wouldn't stand a chance against prime Jones so he's really just treading water till a loss there.

If Dana is to be believed Jon wanted $30m, if Jon is to be believed he would have accepted $15m.

I did think Danas comments in response to Jon saying Dana was “soiling” or “tarnishing” (I forget which) his name we’re pretty funny
See this is what I mean about Dana twisting things, and then ufc fans talking crap when they haven't even read Jon's tweets.

See this is what I mean about Dana twisting things, and then ufc fans talking crap when they haven't even read Jon's tweets.

His tweet (which I had read by the way) says exactly what I said.

Dana said he wanted $30M and Jon said he would have accepted $15M.

I’m not attacking Jon or defending Dana just stating they are both known for lying.

Fair enough too if he has no motivation to fight at LHW anymore, Reyes wouldn't stand a chance against prime Jones so he's really just treading water till a loss there.
similar to GSP.

when you run through a division that much it must become just too hard to find the motivation to keep on doing it

Then your boss bags the * out of you in the media

Jon Jones says he didn’t ask for unreasonable money yet on twitter says pay him half of wilder and he will settle aka 15 mil fu** me he’s not that big a draw
Ngannou v Jones gets near 1m PPV buys in the US. There's our PPV market as well as 100+ TV deals

1m buys @ $75. They can afford to pay Jon 10-15 for a big fight like this

The trouble is without crowds, that's $10m lost in ticket sales (maybe more). Maybe more depending on venue/site fees.

Ngannou v Jones gets near 1m PPV buys in the US. There's our PPV market as well as 100+ TV deals

The trouble is without crowds, that's $10m lost in ticket sales (maybe more). Maybe more depending on venue/site fees.

To be fair I doubt any of us truly knows how the UFCs profit/loss system works, not to mention the accountability to share holders etc.

FWIW I agree with you that they probably can afford to pay Jones $15m and I’m all for the fighters making their bank but none of us really know what’s a reasonable figure for the main event guys.

The reason they won't do that is becuase once you pay the guy $10m-$15m you can't go back and pay him $1.5m for his next fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back