news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I took serious issue with Van Zant doing DWTS in the US while under contract with the UFC.

She clearly doesnt take the combat sport thing seriously, which is fine, but its silly to bemoan your earning power when youve not really comitted to the sport.

she’s an average fighter who is decent looking

would be dumb not to do it if she wants to continue to fight - she’s hardly going to be challenging for a belt in the ufc. it’s called prize fighting for a reason.

don’t blame her for fighting where she will be paid - though i’m not sure boxing will suit her style.

wouldn’t surprise me if she’s given a total can.

would be dumb not to do it if she wants to continue to fight - she’s hardly going to be challenging for a belt in the ufc. it’s called prize fighting for a reason.

don’t blame her for fighting where she will be paid - though i’m not sure boxing will suit her style.

It has the potential to get quite ugly. Both girls are tough and can cop a beating. Main event hype, no love between them...it's gonna be on.

Sure... but if you’re gonna spend 5-6 months of your prime doing dancing on a reality show, risking injury and missing time in the gym you can hardly claim to be a pro fighter can you? That was my point. If you wanna make the money of the main eventers, earn a main event.

Anyway, did I see Chris Leben on the card?

Sure... but if you’re gonna spend 5-6 months of your prime doing dancing on a reality show, risking injury and missing time in the gym you can hardly claim to be a pro fighter can you? That was my point. If you wanna make the money of the main eventers, earn a main event.

Anyway, did I see Chris Leben on the card?

pro means getting paid - it’s your living. not every fighter can or wants to win straps.

look at nate diaz - talented but limited guy who goes where the money is and fights extremely irregularly. appears to have no interest in the belts - just money and big fights.

ufc has shown it doesn’t really care what happens wrt damage journeymen fighters take in the octogon - and you are independent contractor - might as well get paid while you can if you’re not a legacy fighter.

pro means getting paid - it’s your living. not every fighter can or wants to win straps.

look at nate diaz - talented but limited guy who goes where the money is and fights extremely irregularly. appears to have no interest in the belts - just money and big fights.

ufc has shown it doesn’t really care what happens wrt damage journeymen fighters take in the octogon - and you are independent contractor - might as well get paid while you can if you’re not a legacy fighter.
Mate, that’s exactly my point...

If you wanna be a fighter and make money from it then focus on it.

If you just wanna make money then go nuts doing whatever you like, but don’t bemoan that you’re not making money from fighting if you’re not putting in the effort.

I don’t begrudge her doing whatever she chooses, I think it’s rich to whinge about not making the money from fighting when she was off doing DWTS.

You think we’re arguing, we’re agreeing.

Lmao did you just compare Nate Diaz and PVZ

A 35 yr old Nate Diaz who has 32 pro fights, is renowned as a fantastic trainer and a bloke who could sell PPVs these days aswell as anyone

That's your comparison to PVZ....

Lmao did you just compare Nate Diaz and PVZ

A 35 yr old Nate Diaz who has 32 pro fights, is renowned as a fantastic trainer and a bloke who could sell PPVs these days aswell as anyone

That's your comparison to PVZ....

unsurprisingly you missed the point. to spell it out, diaz knows his worth and wont take non money fights. he has never been title quality but is a great fighter and one of my all time favs.

if you think nate wouldn’t switch promotions for 10x more money then i can’t help you.

you might disagree with pvz as to what she is worth, but someone is willing to pay it.

unsurprisingly you missed the point. to spell it out, diaz knows his worth and wont take non money fights. he has never been title quality but is a great fighter and one of my all time favs.

if you think nate wouldn’t switch promotions for 10x more money then i can’t help you.

you might disagree with pvz as to what she is worth, but someone is willing to pay it.
Her worth has absolutely nothing to do with her fight skills, that's the point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo, PVZ did exactly the right thing by going on Dancing with the Stars. I see absolutely nothing wrong with mixing things up...it was an awesome opportunity and experience for her, where she was also paid a solid amount. And also her move to bkfc (or Bellator, who also had a very good deal on the table for her) was the correct call.
Leaving the UFC (who underpaid her) was the correct call.

Imo, PVZ did exactly the right thing by going on Dancing with the Stars. I see absolutely nothing wrong with mixing things up...it was an awesome opportunity and experience for her, where she was also paid a solid amount. And also her move to bkfc (or Bellator, who also had a very good deal on the table for her) was the correct call.
She wasn't underpaid in the UFC lol
She was a middle of the road female fighter who wanted to be paid main event money.

She absolutely did the right thing, for her as a person, I’m not sure there’s any way you can spin that as it being the right thing for her as a fighter.

Maybe she didn’t want a title but she wanted more money, which means she needs better opponents and better billing but then she also decided to leave the sport for 6 months (or however long) in her prime to do it.

She absolutely did the right thing, for her as a person, I’m not sure there’s any way you can spin that as it being the right thing for her as a fighter.

Maybe she didn’t want a title but she wanted more money, which means she needs better opponents and better billing but then she also decided to leave the sport for 6 months (or however long) in her prime to do it.
It really seems like old mates trying to nudge this into a sexist thing.
If Ollie wines left footy for a year to be an Instagram traveller then wanted to come back on more money than Robbie Gray, reckon he'd have an issue with it

Her worth has absolutely nothing to do with her fight skills, that's the point.

does anyone’s?

i read leon edwards was paid $68k when he beat RDA in a fight night main event.

rocky pennington was paid in $125k on the same card when she fought irene aldana on the prelim card (wasn’t even feature prelim)

you can be angry/confused about fighter pay - but pvz shouldn’t be who you are arguing with/about.

sole fact is fighters need to get paid more period.

Looks so ridiculous a bare knuckle boxer walking to the ring in a mask haha. Thats the least of their worries for the next 9 minutes

Then they have a random rub all over their face anyway. Weird times

Looks so ridiculous a bare knuckle boxer walking to the ring in a mask haha. Thats the least of their worries for the next 9 minutes

Then they have a random rub all over their face anyway. Weird times
I don't know why, but this is always slightly harder to watch. Feels amateur

I don't know why, but this is always slightly harder to watch. Feels amateur
Agree 100%. Its trash really but has some entertaining fights

Plus the weather here is so bad someone just road a jetski passed my window (im nowhere near the beach) so F all else to do but watch this nonsense

Bet Nguyen and Henry at dog odds so see how we go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back