news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure you can also stream it from UFC for 50 bucks too can't you? If you've got a decent internet connection I would've thought that's a better way to watch than going to the cinema as well.
You realise there are a myriad of pubs that you can watch it at with all of that for free, then the $75 can be spent on beers or food.

Let us know how it goes though, I am genuinely curious.

You can't get a decent seat with perfect view of a huge screen at any pub for 205.

and I have internet slower than treacle nobby

Crown sports bar has similar sized screens.
Not with a decent seat... fookin hell people i've thought this through.

At crown you'll either - not be seated. Or you'll be on those little bar stools which are bloody uncomfortable

Do i have to repeat myself to the same questions every time?

1. Guarenteed seat
2. Comfortable seat
3. Guarenteed view of screen
4. Huge screen

Name me one place that has all four of those things if you don't own foxtel or a fast internet connection, but for the movies.

I think for big, big events like this, the outlay is justified however I wouldn't do it every month though.
Yeah definitely not. At 201 I was one of like twenty people at the local bar. Don't have to stress about getting early to get a good vantage point and dont have to stress about losing your spot if you get a drink or having people move in front of your line of sight during the fight..

But for a Conor card, or any other card that will pack out bars. It's handy for the peace of mind.

Not with a decent seat... fookin hell people i've thought this through.

At crown you'll either - not be seated. Or you'll be on those little bar stools which are bloody uncomfortable

Do i have to repeat myself to the same questions every time?

1. Guarenteed seat
2. Comfortable seat
3. Guarenteed view of screen
4. Huge screen

Name me one place that has all four of those things if you don't own foxtel or a fast internet connection, but for the movies.

I've got all of the above at my booked table at Precinct but to each their own man. I genuinely wanna know how it is after you go.

I've got all of the above at my booked table at Precinct but to each their own man. I genuinely wanna know how it is after you go.
Didnt mean to sound agressive. Just got frustrated felt like i answered the same question five different ways. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yeah definitely not. At 201 I was one of like twenty people at the local bar. Don't have to stress about getting early to get a good vantage point and dont have to stress about losing your spot if you get a drink or having people move in front of your line of sight during the fight..

But for a Conor card, or any other card that will pack out bars. It's handy for the peace of mind.

I agree, hence why I'm doing Village as well with the Mrs :)

I agree, hence why I'm doing Village as well with the Mrs :)

I'll be honest, that sounds horrible, assuming your lovely lady is a big UFC fan though? Mine wants to like it cause I do but doesn't really get into it, always wants a drink or something in the middle of a fight and spend more time on Twitter than watching.

UFC days are with the fellas as entirely chauvinistic as that sounds.

I'll be honest, that sounds horrible, assuming your lovely lady is a big UFC fan though? Mine wants to like it cause I do but doesn't really get into it, always wants a drink or something in the middle of a fight and spend more time on Twitter than watching.

UFC days are with the fellas as entirely chauvinistic as that sounds.

Big time, almost more than me. If I say a word during a fight am promptly told to STFU :p.

Have a reasonably large group of friends, but only 1 other has a passing interest, so it's worked out well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big time, almost more than me. If I say a word during a fight am promptly told to STFU :p.

Have a reasonably large group of friends, but only 1 other has a passing interest, so it's worked out well.

That's brilliant. I'm an intense man when the fights are on, don't talk just shut up and watch the screen. She sounds like a good woman, lucky man.

Did anyone go to the cinema to watch 205 and how was it?

Depends what you want out of it.

If you want the pub atmosphere, then probably isn't for you, people were quietly chatting but there wasn't much cheering or applause outside of Woodley/Thompson and Connor/Eddie.

That being said, the cinema as about a 1/4 full, might have been different in a more filled out one. Crown I think was pretty full. I suppose at the end of the day was probably more quiet because people were there were legit fans and not casuals going to have a few ales.

Personally I liked it, because was able to sit there and be absorbed by it for the full 3 1/2 hours which flew by, sound was cranked up loud, people walking in an out was zero issue. So was more like watching it with a very large group of friends.

If it's a good solid card like 206 will be, I would do it again, but not for the weaker ones.

That being said, my guess would be this might be a once off with tickets sold might turn them off if Conor can't bring in a packed house. I don't blame them charging what they did, because at the end of the day, there was a standard movie ticket price for length of two movies, but better promotion and cheaper tickets would have got more in IMO.

Did anyone go to the cinema to watch 205 and how was it?
I'll echo what Ryz said. Cinema was pretty quiet up until the Woodley/Conor fights... but the Conor fight was huge. Room exploded when he dropped Eddie within 30 seconds or whatever.

I think it was worth it. I was at the Saint (a bigger pub with like four+ rooms with the fight on) for the prelims and it was IMPOSSIBLE to get a drink. They had like 4 bar staff on and there was 300+ there for the prelims. I stood in line for 5 minutes and then gave up wasnt worth it. Would have had to wait for half an hour.

When you compare those negatives to the positives of the movie.. engrossing watching experience.. comfort.. the cinemas won yesterday.

I for one love going to the cinema and as mentioned here get very absorbed by watching the fights so I can see the appeal.

Having said that most cards (read everything that doesn't have Conor or Ronda) have a pretty easy day at the pub, hardly anyone there etc. and I actually kind of like the atmosphere of a Ronda/Conor fight (the crowds, the noise etc).

Good to hear the feedback though fellas, thanks.

The most enjoyable part of the day was overhearing people who literally come to watch Conor fight (and only Conor) talk up their knowledge, then follow it with questions about the basics.

Take one guy sitting behind me, I was saying how awesome Frankies movement was and how he was making Stephens miss on everything, cue one card bloke going "bulls**t mate, the big fella is lighting him up, will either knock him out or win easy points"... 10 minutes later "nah all the fights on the main card are 5 rounders, same as all the UFC's" Halfway through JJ's fight "Nah the other bird is killing her mate, easy win for KK" after the Woodley fight "nah mate, that's f**ked, its not even possible with the scoring to be a draw, they did the scoring specifically cause you CAN"T have a draw, someones f**ked that up".

Reminded me of watching Mayweather Pacquio I quietly mentioned to my mate that Mayweather was cruising on points, bloke in front of me turns around going "bulls**t mate, Mannys killing him, bigger shots, landing more, mayweather just running" 30 seconds later the same bloke goes "how many rounds it it? and round are like 10 minutes yeh?"

The most enjoyable part of the day was overhearing people who literally come to watch Conor fight (and only Conor) talk up their knowledge, then follow it with questions about the basics.

Take one guy sitting behind me, I was saying how awesome Frankies movement was and how he was making Stephens miss on everything, cue one card bloke going "bulls**t mate, the big fella is lighting him up, will either knock him out or win easy points"... 10 minutes later "nah all the fights on the main card are 5 rounders, same as all the UFC's" Halfway through JJ's fight "Nah the other bird is killing her mate, easy win for KK" after the Woodley fight "nah mate, that's f**ked, its not even possible with the scoring to be a draw, they did the scoring specifically cause you CAN"T have a draw, someones f**ked that up".

Reminded me of watching Mayweather Pacquio I quietly mentioned to my mate that Mayweather was cruising on points, bloke in front of me turns around going "bulls**t mate, Mannys killing him, bigger shots, landing more, mayweather just running" 30 seconds later the same bloke goes "how many rounds it it? and round are like 10 minutes yeh?"
Lol i hate criticising "casuals" because we all were at some point and the more the merrier imo.

But the more I've watched and learnt from indepth breakdowns by guys like Dan Hardy show me that even tho i have barely missed an event in 8 years and consume just about all media, i still know * all and certainly have no right to critique fighters heart or skill. i make basic observations as way of talking about fights, and im still really talking out my arse.

Lol i hate criticising "casuals" because we all were at some point and the more the merrier imo.

But the more I've watched and learnt from indepth breakdowns by guys like Dan Hardy show me that even tho i have barely missed an event in 8 years and consume just about all media, i still know **** all and certainly have no right to critique fighters heart or skill. i make basic observations as way of talking about fights, and im still really talking out my arse.

Yeh I like to talk about it and most of my mates have absolutely no idea about anything on the ground so I sort of give them any real basic stuff I see so they can keep up but I confine my opinion to my group and also like to "discuss" rather than "aggressively state why my opinion is fact".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back