news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
How long have ypou been watching the sport bla bla bla. This is a 37 year old Edgar, a waterdowned version of his former self.

Edgar is getting the 'long serving and good company boy' title fight and you know it.

He fought for the title and was totally outclassed by Aldo. Had a couple of good wins and then was ko'ed by Ortega.

Then beat Cub Swanson who has lets be honest, been pretty average for 5 years now. And that win was wasn't a super convincing one anyway and now he gets a title shot?

I am telling you Max will run rings around Edgar
so not very long then lol

He comments a lot but I usually rate it.
His problem is he will say one thing which is interesting, then he will repeat it 3 more times in a different way. By that time the moments gone and Rogan/Annik/Whoever is trying to talk about what's actually happening now.

so not very long then lol
About 10 years since UFC 100. So depends on your opinion of not long I guess.

But you are kind of agreeing with my point, that being Edgar is getting this title fight for being a long term servant rather than a current worthy challenger

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
About 10 years since UFC 100. So depends on your opinion of not long I guess.

But you are kind of agreeing with my point, that being Edgar is getting this title fight for being a long term servant rather than a current worthy challenger
Edgar is only getting the shot because he has quite a lot more followers. If Volk had the same following he would no doubt be the one fighting. Unfortunately this isn't like the Olympic games where the most worthy get their shot. The ufc will do what is profitable for the business. Hopefully they promote Volk a lot over the next few months.

One thing's for sure though...if Volk doesn't get the next shot Dana will be copping fly-kicks to the head from all angles.

So George you're the new mod I see. Do you follow MMA?
Hi mate sorry I haven't posted here a lot. I only got given the gig a few weeks ago so will start posting more frequently here.

Yes a big MMA fan!

Hi mate sorry I haven't posted here a lot. I only got given the gig a few weeks ago so will start posting more frequently here.

Yes a big MMA fan!
I for one welcome our new mod overlord.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's just a s**t of a fight. I mean, I love it, it's an awesome match up, but one of these guys is going to miss out on a shot, and they're both not getting any younger.
I want Tony to win, but then I think of what Cerrone has been through to get to this point, too.
Oh well...may the best man win.

Pay these mofos, Dana!

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would be great for Cowboy but if Tony loses his title shot after being the most worthy of a shot in history it would be.
My thoughts are - if he loses then he's not the most worthy person of a title shot. Simple.

If he does lose and still get the next shot, then he's in the same boat as Frankie Edgar IMO. Semantics aside anyway..

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
My thoughts are - if he loses then he's not the most worthy person of a title shot. Simple.

If he does lose and still get the next shot, then he's in the same boat as Frankie Edgar IMO. Semantics aside anyway..
Are you talking about Tony?

I can’t agree if so, he was worthy a number of fights ago, how does he have to keep fighting every other contender?

Tony’s winstreak far betters Edgars

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Are you talking about Tony?

I can’t agree if so, he was worthy a number of fights ago, how does he have to keep fighting every other contender?

Tony’s winstreak far betters Edgars

To be fair, he did fight for the interim belt and won it but then spent the next 16 months or so sidelined due to injury. Khabib was every bit as deserving as Tony, so I don't blame the UFC for keeping the division moving. The only thing I'd fault them for was giving Conor first crack at Khabib over Tony, but the reasons why that happened are obvious.

I've got little doubt he'll take care of Cerrone, so it should set him up for a shot at the gold later in the year anyway.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
See that tapping, ref...that means you stop the fight.

The ref is hopeless, he shouldn't have stopped the first fight by the rules, didn't know to look for Shamrock's tap as you said.

In the final Royce holds the submission for longer than he needs to, the commentators thought it was to make sure the ref saw it but apparently he bit Royce's ear at one point. I'd believe it too given what Gordeau went on to do against Yuki Nakai in Japan.

Back