news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I just saw this too.
Is Colby still an interim champ??

If so, how does this work?!
As far as I'm aware Colby is still the interim champ...he definitely thinks he is anyway.
Maybe this fight is just something that Dana wants, so he has announced it ...unknowingly to Colby...
Wouldn't surprise me too much tbh.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
I just saw this too.
Is Colby still an interim champ??

If so, how does this work?!

No, his interim status was removed a while back. Pretty sure he was supposed to fight Woodley to unify, but opted to have surgery and Usman then whooped dos Anjos and took his place in line.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
No, his interim status was removed a while back. Pretty sure he was supposed to fight Woodley to unify, but opted to have surgery and Usman then whooped dos Anjos and took his place in line.
Aaahh yes I believe you're right. He's doing the same as Tony - carrying around a belt even though he turned down/got injured for a unification bout.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Aaahh yes I believe you're right. He's doing the same as Tony - carrying around a belt even though he turned down/got injured for a unification bout.
Both guys missed through injury. I think Colby only needed 2 or so extra months off, and Tony recovered quite quickly as well (considering his injury).
Both guys were reemed by Dana.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Both guys missed through injury. I think Colby only needed 2 or so extra months off, and Tony recovered quite quickly as well (considering his injury).
Yep. It's the way of the world.

The interim title grants you 1 chance at a title offer, and if it interferes with your family/travel/surgery plans it's gone it seems.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep. It's the way of the world.

The interim title grants you 1 chance at a title offer, and if it interferes with your family/travel/surgery plans it's gone it seems.
To me it seems like there's no set rules at all. It's all just made up as it goes along.
Interim belts pretty much mean nothing, apart from a bit more interest ($) for the ufc.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
To me it seems like there's no set rules at all. It's all just made up as it goes along.
Interim belts pretty much mean nothing, apart from a bit more interest ($) for the ufc.
Pretty much, DW refutes that and states it's clearly the next title shot but history, particularly recently contradicts that.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Two big welterweight fights coming up to likely decide the next title challenger

Askren vs Masvidal
Covington vs Lawler

Colby deserves it if he wins but the winner of next weekend is going to have some serious hype if they get a finish which is the likely way.

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
If you’re the interm title holder but are not ready/pull out of the title unification fight I think it just goes away. That’s the conclusion I’ve drawn.
I kinda like it as I don’t think interm titles should hold any more value than a number 1 contender status. So many of the weight divisions are stacked so having both the champ and interm champ out of action is a bit unfair to the guys who are healthy.

I still really would have liked to have seen Colby fight usman and he is definitely deserving of a shot but getting to see him against Robbie should be a cracker of a fight

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
pretty sure woodley never had any intention of accepting a fight to unify

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Ngannou's got crazy power
Maia is an inspiration for myself at 41. Still getting it done.
JDS is unfortunately well past his best now. He'll still gatekeep, but only because HW is so thin right now

I keep banking on Maia to get old and start losing a step, but he keeps finding ways to beat good young fighters. Amazing that he's still as effective as he is at 41!

Even Gaethje realises Tony has already earned his shot without having to jump through more hoops. Would be a hell of a barnburner though.

Respect JG.

All I can see is that dickhead who calls himself the Schmoo in the background!

Back