news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yet again UFC proving themselves to be pretty shitty promoters. Conor, the biggest drawcard in the game, would be a good idea to get some young talent eyeballs on the main card. Try and promote someone new...or we could put Holly Holm there? Genius stuff. Nothing gets fans amped quite like a HH fight!

Crap card overall but it doesn't need to be good when Conor is there.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Not only is Holly Holm fighting, but it's against someone we've already seen her fight against! Fans have been clamoring for a Pennington rematch for years now, so it's great to see it finally put together.

The 246 card certainly looks weak, but there's some good stuff on there. Fili vs Yusuff is a great match up and there are a couple of nice prospects in Haqparast, Dawson, Barber and Askarov on show. Outside of that though it's a bit of a shocker.

Pretty much the hardest opponent they could have picked for him. I heard he wanted Till, but the UFC had other plans.

Will put him right back as a title contender if he wins though. Hope he utilises his ground game instead of headhunting like his last fight.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yet again UFC proving themselves to be pretty shitty promoters.
I agree that it seems strange to not use a McGregor card to promote young talent.

But how can you say the UFC are shitty promoters?

Seems to me like they grew their brand pretty well over the past decade or so.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you haven't watched the South Korean fight night card, especially the prelims, do yourself a favor and check it out.

-Zombie was impressive, Edgar looks like a fighter who's gone on too long. Very well rounded game the zombie has.

-The swelling (hematoma??) on Rakic's leg was out of this world. *ing insane.

-Can't believe Doo-Ho got KO'd. He was fighting very well, probably got a bit too confident and ended up getting sent to bed.

-The Jung Da Un KO was pretty lovely too. Sweet as.

-Ciryl Gane has the potential to be the heavyweight champion imo. Haven't seen his wrestling/ground game be tested much, but boy is he scary on the feet. Even though he only beat Boser, I reckon this guy could shoot himself up the rankings Rozenstruik style next year. Watch out for him.

-Choi Seung-Woo's win over Aussie Mohkatarian was a very solid performance. Brutalized the aussie for the most part.

-Nice KO by Pantoja

-Absolutely beautiful spinning back kick from Moraes that probably won him the fight against Dong Hyun Ma. Ma put up a very good contest though, close fight.

-Barcelos v Nurmagomedov was interesting. I thought Nurmagomedov was related to Khabib, and thus expected him to grapple, but he had a very interesting Taekwondo style. Close fight as well, with nurmagomedov looking like he won the 3rd, and a very close 2nd round.

Barcelos v Nurmagomedov was interesting. I thought Nurmagomedov was related to Khabib, and thus expected him to grapple, but he had a very interesting Taekwondo style. Close fight as well, with nurmagomedov looking like he won the 3rd, and a very close 2nd round.
He’s khabib’s cousin

Can't believe Doo-Ho got KO'd. He was fighting very well, probably got a bit too confident and ended up getting sent to bed.

Probably talking out my arse here but he needs to improve his striking defense if he's ever to take it to the next level. Great fight but both guys were eating heaps of shots and no surprise it ended with a KO.

Thought he finished his military service but devo to hear he's still waiting to serve it. Real shame as he's one of my favs to watch.

3-3 in the UFC now i think with 3 losses on the trot, and 2 KO's back to back. Racks up bonuses like no one's business so hopefully he comes back more rounded after his service. Can't imagine he'll get cut. Surprised to read he's 28, thought he was younger.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Probably talking out my arse here but he needs to improve his striking defense if he's ever to take it to the next level. Great fight but both guys were eating heaps of shots and no surprise it ended with a KO.
nah thats a fair call, he was consistently getting caught stepping in to throw a punch, just kept moving forward and eating shots backing his power in to win him the fight.

No doubt he'd get finished by some of the cleaner striking featherweights in the division, and needs to adjust his style to be more defensive if he wants to make it as a top featherweight. However his offense is no joke, can definitely throw a clean punch with some power.

Thought he finished his military service but devo to hear he's still waiting to serve it. Real shame as he's one of my favs to watch.

3-3 in the UFC now i think with 3 losses on the trot, and 2 KO's back to back. Racks up bonuses like no one's business so hopefully he comes back more rounded after his service. Can't imagine he'll get cut. Surprised to read he's 28, thought he was younger.

Can't believe it's been 5 years since his debut UFC

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Yeh I was impressed with Gane. He looks pretty legit. Moves so smoothly for a HW and mixes up his strikes/combinations really well and his footwork is good too. Only thing I noticed is he kept his chin pretty high in that Boser fight. Haven't seen enough of his TDD yet but he looks the goods.
Volkan & Rakic was a decent fight, could have gone either way. Nice gameplan by Volk but Rakic did land way more head shots. Volkan doesn't look it but is really ******* strong.
Rakic vs Johnny Walker would be a good fight to make imo

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Anyone tuning in to fedor & rampage this weekend?
Both obviously pretty washed but I’m still interested to see how it plays out. Probably a 1st round KO either way. Fedor is kind of ruining his legacy at this point still fighting. He was the best in his prime imo

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Anyone tuning in to fedor & rampage this weekend?
Both obviously pretty washed but I’m still interested to see how it plays out. Probably a 1st round KO either way. Fedor is kind of ruining his legacy at this point still fighting. He was the best in his prime imo
Will be tough to watch, that's my prediction.

Back