news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dana White confirmed it'll be Masvidal and Usman in July and McGregor to take on the winter of Khabib Ferguson in October or November
Loving it, Usman/Masvidal will grow into a huge fight, it's a fair old wait though.

I wonder if Conor will be backup for Tony/Khabib, actually cut to 155.

Anyway, three sick fights if all goes to plan.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
McGregor doesn't want that, he wants an earlier fight, let's see how this plays out.
Meh as much as the UFC wants to push the Connor fights anyone anytime crap he won't fight unless it suits him.

There isn't anyone at 170 for him now so that leaves 155. I honestly think he's gonna wait on standby for the Khabib Tony fight.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Why put Conor on the shelf almost a year when you don't need to
Because if they put him in against Gaethje and he loses that's it for Conor the title fighter for a little. An you better believe part of him coming back to the UFC was being offered a title shot. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if when they were negotiating at the table Conor made it clear that he wanted a title shot, the UFC said you can have the 155 and Conor said deal but he also needs to keep face by talking about how busy he wants to be. Conor still looks like a badass, the UFC keeps their most valuable asset and everyone wins.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Because if they put him in against Gaethje and he loses that's it for Conor the title fighter for a little. An you better believe part of him coming back to the UFC was being offered a title shot. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if when they were negotiating at the table Conor made it clear that he wanted a title shot, the UFC said you can have the 155 and Conor said deal but he also needs to keep face by talking about how busy he wants to be. Conor still looks like a badass, the UFC keeps their most valuable asset and everyone wins.
Conor has the biggest fights in the company anyway. It doesn't matter who he fights, him v Barboza outsells Khabib v Tony. The UFC shouldn't care about him in a title fight IMO

He also won't defend it if he won it anyway. He'd try to go to 170 or just hold up divisions like last time. It's better for fans he doesn't win it. We get the Conor show once a year and the title stays active

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Conor has the biggest fights in the company anyway. It doesn't matter who he fights, him v Barboza outsells Khabib v Tony. The UFC shouldn't care about him in a title fight IMO

He also won't defend it if he won it anyway. He'd try to go to 170 or just hold up divisions like last time. It's better for fans he doesn't win it. We get the Conor show once a year and the title stays active
I'm not talking about what I want though I'm talking about what I think will happen.
I'd love to see Connor and Gaethje fight for the contender spot but I just don't see it happening

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not talking about what I want though I'm talking about what I think will happen.
I'd love to see Connor and Gaethje fight for the contender spot but I just don't see it happening
Sadly I agree

Conor v Mas was the fight to make but they know Mas eats him alive
Conor v Gaethje next obvious fight to make but they won't risk it (they definitely should as the winner v Khabib/Tony would be crazy good anyway)

He'll either sit out the year (Khabib/Tony surely go to war and neither come back quickly after their fight) or fight Diaz but even that seems unlikely

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Sadly I agree

Conor v Gaethje next obvious fight to make but they won't risk it (they definitely should as the winner v Khabib/Tony would be crazy good anyway)

He'll either sit out the year (Khabib/Tony surely go to war and neither come back quickly after their fight) or fight Diaz but even that seems unlikely
Mate I honestly think McGregor will train and keep himself on standby for the Ferguson Khabib fight. I mean s**t when it's been cancelled 4 times already it's not exactly the worst bet.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sadly I agree

Conor will fight 3 times minimum this year. He's clearly stated that on many occasions. He's serious this time.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Gaethje vs Conor would be a cracker. I think he hates Conor more than Khabib does so the trash talk would be interesting too. Up to McGregor to take that fight. It’s a dangerous one for him

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It's Conor.. C-O-N-O-R...
Most around here know that I've never been a huge Conor fan. In saying that I'll watch his interviews and I won't ever miss one of his fights.
I don't care if it's spelt with a 7, that campaigner has said more s**t than anyone in history. It's far from locked in that he'll fight 3 times just because he said it

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Khabib has said 100 times he isn’t fighting McGregor anytime soon.

You seriously think he will fight McGregor coming off one win against Cerrone?

Back