news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, it'll be very interesting to see the permutations of live scoring and how it affects the fighters and their corners in real time. Even to hear the corner conversations will be very intriguing.
My concern is what fighters will do if they know that they can't be beaten by points (eg 2 rounds won in a 3 rounder). Does the person winning just start running, just hold the other guy, etc in the 3rd?
You're not taking risks when a W sees your pay double, etc.

My concern is what fighters will do if they know that they can't be beaten by points (eg 2 rounds won in a 3 rounder). Does the person winning just start running, just hold the other guy, etc in the 3rd?
Maybe, it's probably similar to what people already do when, in their mind they're already waaay up on the scorecards. But coasting or any potential mic'd communications from corners instructing them to do so will be met with extreme vitriol on social media, not to mention the president!

Risk of a 10-8 round if you're running away?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not necessarily on board with live scoring, the system is what needs the overhaul, but aren't there existing rules in place to be penalised if you're blatantly not engaging with your opponent?

Im not necessarily on board with live scoring, the system is what needs the overhaul, but aren't there existing rules in place to be penalised if you're blatantly not engaging with your opponent?
I think it would be pretty simple. If a fighter is deemed to be not engaging they get a warning, second time a point deduction. Same as an eye poke or groin shot

Open scoring has happened in kickboxing and boxing. Both failed...

Worth noting though, corners won't know in between rounds who won so you wouldn't see the live scorecards until the next round starts at the earliest. They won't be able to tailor corner advice according to live scoring, it'll just take the excitement out of it for fans

Open scoring has happened in kickboxing and boxing. Both failed...

Worth noting though, corners won't know in between rounds who won so you wouldn't see the live scorecards until the next round starts at the earliest. They won't be able to tailor corner advice according to live scoring, it'll just take the excitement out of it for fans
When would the crowd find out? And how? Announced through speakers, on big screen as the fighters are fighting the next round?

When would the crowd find out? And how? Announced through speakers, on big screen as the fighters are fighting the next round?
I believe announcement and big screen in Glory Kickboxing. Rounds have started by the time it's happened

You only get 1 minute. by the time the round ends, corners can't wait around for judges.

I believe Trout v Canelo had open scoring and despite it being a close fight judges gave Canelo too many early rounds sucking the excitement out of the remainder. Open scoring simply won't work IMO. Definitely makes it worse for fans...isn't the fun of close fights sweating the decision?

Agree with you gigantic . Maybe double their pay if they finish an opponent
and take the judges out of it .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is the next step for the UFC I think. Have $100K per card and divvy it out for every finish...

Won't mean much to Jones or Conor types but the prelim fighters will be putting in extra to get that bonus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back