news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's because of the new deal with ESPN

The last fight on the prelims is being treated as a bigger fight than the first couple of fights on the main card as the UFC have to keep ESPN happy now they can't give them weekly fight cards
This is why 'PPV' lost its appeal. It's lost all meaning to be a PPV when fight nights are often comparable, or better. They're only hurting themselves with that attitude

I don't see how they can get this to work longer term. Where will they find security, production crew, paramedics, fighters every week on a 'private island' after this event? They don't even have cards lined up, fighters can't train and they may not be allowed back with travel bans to their country post-fight.

If the fighters want to fight, let them but I can't see this working long.

UFC are trying because if they reach the 42 contracted events for ESPN they get $750M. Hope the fighters are requesting pay rises to go through with it all, they have some leverage here for once

This is why 'PPV' lost its appeal. It's lost all meaning to be a PPV when fight nights are often comparable, or better. They're only hurting themselves with that attitude

I don't see how they can get this to work longer term. Where will they find security, production crew, paramedics, fighters every week on a 'private island' after this event? They don't even have cards lined up, fighters can't train and they may not be allowed back with travel bans to their country post-fight.

If the fighters want to fight, let them but I can't see this working long.

UFC are trying because if they reach the 42 contracted events for ESPN they get $750M. Hope the fighters are requesting pay rises to go through with it all, they have some leverage here for once
they are almost following the WWE model

Have a lot of big fighters weekly on ESPN and then have the title fights on PPV each month

Only stack one or two PPV events per year (ie fight week & NY card)

Namajunas out
And now surely the dominos will start to fall. Still think there is no way this card goes on.

And now surely the dominos will start to fall. Still think there is no way this card goes on.

This card still shits on anything put on in Australia. Rose is one of my favs but she's not exactly a linchpin of the UFC either.

Reckon there's a fair bit of hands getting greased here, so unless the Tony/Justin falls through - will be full steam ahead.

Can’t believe where actually gonna get this fight card right now.

it’s a brilliant line up.

hopefully Rogan shows up, think he was still contemplating this morning.

Dana's head might actually explode.

Good decision though. Tony needs to fight Khabib, and when it's safe to do so he will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone serious stepped in. Wild
Where was ESPN the last month when Dana has said itll be business as usual?! Why step in now...

Hope they put shows on, fighters get paid well and its on Fightpass. Seriously, if every one gets tested and they isolate 14 days after is it any riskier than going to the shops? No. Hysterical, paranoid people will say otherwise but theyve lost perspective since this started

Someone serious stepped in. Wild
Why did it take until now?

It would seem as though somebody serious stepped in to tell somebody serious to step in. If you get what I mean.

In any event, this is the #1 bullshit.

My respect for Dana has gone way up. My respect for the average person continues to sink.

Where are all the sick people? Why are so many hospitals empty?

And even if you believe the TV and government on all of this, why can't a bunch of men and women who want to fight, fight?

Where was ESPN the last month when Dana has said itll be business as usual?! Why step in now...

Hope they put shows on, fighters get paid well and its on Fightpass. Seriously, if every one gets tested and they isolate 14 days after is it any riskier than going to the shops? No. Hysterical, paranoid people will say otherwise but theyve lost perspective since this started
Its more to do with the fact fighters generally end up in hospital after fighting and hospitals are kinda busy right now.

Its more to do with the fact fighters generally end up in hospital after fighting and hospitals are kinda busy right now.
Hospitals are more empty than usual across america.

Also doesnt answer why it took so long for ESPN to step in if they didnt want it. They were assisting the planning, after all they were to profit off it

Where are all the sick people? Why are so many hospitals empty?

Come on mate, that's a bit crook. Even if you don't believe in the cause of the virus (animal to human), I'm not sure you can discount the number of people getting sick and the number of people dying.

Doctors surgeries here in Australia are seeing less inflow due to people staying away for minor issues and non-essential checkups due to the pandemic. Similarly, most elective surgeries have been cancelled or postponed by hospitals.

The idea that Dana was claiming that everyone was going to be tested, and there would only need to be 3-4 people in the room and it'd be all safe was a pipedream. USA can't get enough tests to healthcare staff, let alone MMA fighters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back