news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind a bit of mystery 10 days out from a card and it's not like not announcing the fights is going to affect ticket sales or anything.
I agree with this but if they're not announced there's a sense they're really rushing s**t. Which obviously they are but I'd like to know at least fighters are getting the best prep possible, not being asked on the 21st to fight on the 30th...

Anyway most of the fight announcements after this really sucked. WAY too much wmma.

1 I'm really looking forward to is Sterling/Sandhagen. That will be a good fight. Winner fights Moraes/Yan winner for title? Great division atm. I can't believe they're pressing ahead with 250 as a PPV

During this period, nothing will closely resemble normal, let alone preferred practice.

While it's not the best situation for the fighters, I think they would be grateful they can earn a living in these times when a essentially no other professional athletes are at the moment, and a decent chunk of the public around the world can't either.

I agree with this but if they're not announced there's a sense they're really rushing s**t. Which obviously they are but I'd like to know at least fighters are getting the best prep possible, not being asked on the 21st to fight on the 30th...

Anyway most of the fight announcements after this really sucked. WAY too much wmma.

1 I'm really looking forward to is Sterling/Sandhagen. That will be a good fight. Winner fights Moraes/Yan winner for title? Great division atm. I can't believe they're pressing ahead with 250 as a PPV

I would hope a lot of the delay in announcing fights is to do with ensuring the fighters are free of the virus rather than just them being thrown together willy nilly. I would think in most cases the circumstances would be the same for both fighters in that the camps will be shorter than usual and they won't have the same number of training partners or coaches around as they would be used to.

I get that it hasn't been easy making deals and getting contracts signed and so forth given the uncertainty.

However it does seem strange that after several months of nothing, with fighters all getting rest and time off, the cards on offer already look crap.

Again, I get it. Just seems odd.

I get that it hasn't been easy making deals and getting contracts signed and so forth given the uncertainty.

However it does seem strange that after several months of nothing, with fighters all getting rest and time off, the cards on offer already look crap.

Again, I get it. Just seems odd.
UFC putting the lowest cost cards imaginable to pay their loans and meet ESPN requirements. Wont be seeing any quality cards until crowds are allowed i dont think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are you so sure?
There'll be crowds by 2021.

States in the US that didn't even really lockdown are trending similar death per 100,000 than those that did
Treatments are being found rather than waiting on vaccines which will likely never exist
Common sense will prevail
Business (which sport is) can't stay shut forever. People will have the choice to not go if they're scared of the virus, but the choice will be there.
Americans and their cries for 'freedom' will only speed this process up.
Dana will be the first to do it as an 'F You' to other sports codes and feed his ego

Many reasons I'm sure it won't be 'years' for crowds to return

The fight announcements the last 3-4 days are a disgrace. Eye v Calvillo as main event?!
Must be 30 WMMA fights announced overall. Some of those cards aren't worth watching at all

Some good/great fights

Frankie v Munoz, Sterling v Sandhagen, Hooker v Poirer, Emmett v Burgos

There'll be crowds by 2021.

States in the US that didn't even really lockdown are trending similar death per 100,000 than those that did
Treatments are being found rather than waiting on vaccines which will likely never exist
Common sense will prevail
Business (which sport is) can't stay shut forever. People will have the choice to not go if they're scared of the virus, but the choice will be there.
Americans and their cries for 'freedom' will only speed this process up.
Dana will be the first to do it as an 'F You' to other sports codes and feed his ego

Many reasons I'm sure it won't be 'years' for crowds to return
I do see potential for crowds pre vaccine that will be optional. People will go though and the results could be disastrous that it may have to be stopped.

I do see potential for crowds pre vaccine that will be optional. People will go though and the results could be disastrous that it may have to be stopped.
Corona virus vaccines dont have 100% effectiveness, think flu is like 40%. The risk will always be there. Cant spend forever living in fear, eventually people will realise this

So Conor v Usman and Diaz v Masvidal 2 eh
If there's one fight that doesn't need to be run back it's Mas/Diaz. Nate offered nothing in that fight. Just got battered and finished

Conors career ends if Usman fights him. Respect if he steps in there when Mas won't but he's got 1-2% chance. Whatever the odds of Usman injuring himself are Conors chances just about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back