news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
If he and the UFC were on the same page contract-wise he'd have fought 6 months ago. The 'Putting on weight properly' narrative was adopted once it became glaringly evident the UFC refuses to pay him 10-15 million a fight. Dana White and the UFC were more than comfortable with Jon's stance at that stage.
Fair point. I can see issues with a guy like him getting 10-15m a fight. Lots and lots of disposable income and weeks/months between fight camps could be a problem.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Its fighting, it doesnt always attract the best humans to it. If a judge doesnt want him prison and hes medically cleared, let him fight. Hes a piece of sh*t, that isnt changing.

I mean, Kobe paid off a rape victim. Mike Tyson well documented. Conor has serious accusations against him. If you stopped watching sport because of your morale compass your weekends would be alot more free...
In a way I kind of agree; as much as many of us want it not to be the case, MMA will always attract a lot of pretty average human beings. If an investigation doesn't result in anything, there's not much point in denying these people from fighting. On the other hand, any other mainstream professional sporting company would ditch Jones, McGregor etc because the harm their image does to the company's image outweighs their potential profits. Dana don't work like that though.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure how Jones could be called anything but a s**t human. He seems a pretty clear cut case of Narcissist Personality Disorder to me.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good to get paid twice in a month but he also loses all momentum he just got by getting 30-27 x3 by Islam
Real delicate balance isnt it. Cerrone is legendary but had one title shot in his career? Its an enormous risk with enormous reward but i dont think Islam is a big enough name to take the risk honestly.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Real delicate balance isnt it. Cerrone is legendary but had one title shot in his career? Its an enormous risk with enormous reward but i dont think Islam is a big enough name to take the risk honestly.
Did you hear the crowd when hooker walked out for the weigh in?
He will always be around the mark for a title shot with a big win

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Oh yeh, hes beloved no doubt, dudes that love to scrap and fight like their lives depend on it always are but in the same breath, Cerrone, always beloved, rarely got a title fight because he just fought all the time instead of building a career.

If Hooker loses (which he would start as an underdog) hes back to 3-4 fights from a title shot. Im not saying he shouldnt do it, he knows what hes capable of and how he wants his career to go better than i do but i cant help but see Cerrone comparisons when you fight twice in two months.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
A loss here doesn't de-rail him but it would be recent losses to Chandler, DP and Islam. That makes moving up more difficult when you've only recently lost to 3 ahead of you. I'd have called out Ferguson which the fans would go nuts for and a more than winnable fight

i think he'll always be one of the top guys of the division though. Popular striker to put on any main card. He'll get his opportunities for sure

Actually think this is a smart move by hooker he’s already there get another pay day

Everyone seems scared to fight Islam so his stock doesn’t fall if he loses and it’s not like Islam will brutalise him like Dustin or Justin

And if he actually wins his stocks are through the roof

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Islam is in a tough position right now, elite skills who I could see giving Oliveria all he could handle right now. His name is not that big right now though. Means it's a fight no one wants to take, except for crazy bastards like Hooker.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Actually think this is a smart move by hooker he’s already there get another pay day

Everyone seems scared to fight Islam so his stock doesn’t fall if he loses and it’s not like Islam will brutalise him like Dustin or Justin

And if he actually wins his stocks are through the roof
No fight is ever no risk. He absolutely takes a step back if he loses.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Depends how he performs. In fans eyes he may come out of it with higher stock than before...
Yeh for sure, i suspect if he loses he is going to get sat on and beat up for 1-3 rounds and not gonna look good.

In any event my point was that it looks like a simple payday opportunity opposed to a strategic decision, which is fine and good on him, but i cant recall too many fighters that has worked well for as a career strategy (in terms of getting a belt).

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure how anyone can stick up for Jones he literally beat the mother of his kids that bad his daughter begged security to call the police
I've said decent people can f up occasionally. I haven't called Jones an angel or anything.

What happened between Jones and his fiance?
This is what the fiance has said.. Jessie told police "Jon came back and was not very happy." When they asked her if things turned physical, she replied "Umm not too physical but a little bit yeah."

When cops asked what she meant, Jessie said, "he touch the back of my head and pulled my hair a little bit but he did not hit me or anything."

Jones may or may not have done any more than that, we really don't know.

Jones was obviously in enough of a state that it was worrying for the finance and the girls. (The youngest daughter asked the security guard to call the cops)

From Jon - “I have way too much trauma to consume alcohol,” Jones wrote. “My brain simply can’t handle it anymore. I will leave alcohol in my past forever.”

Like I've always said about Jones.. Leave the alcohol alone and there will never be an issue. That's all he has to do. Alcohol and drugs is when the s**t happens.

I've said decent people can f up occasionally. I haven't called Jones an angel or anything.

This is what the fiance has said.. Jessie told police "Jon came back and was not very happy." When they asked her if things turned physical, she replied "Umm not too physical but a little bit yeah."

When cops asked what she meant, Jessie said, "he touch the back of my head and pulled my hair a little bit but he did not hit me or anything."

Jones was obviously in enough of a state that it was worrying for the finance and the girls. (The youngest daughter asked the security guard to call the cops)

From Jon - “I have way too much trauma to consume alcohol,” Jones wrote. “My brain simply can’t handle it anymore. I will leave alcohol in my past forever.”

Like I've always said about Jones.. Leave the alcohol alone and there will never be an issue. That's all he has to do. Alcohol and drugs is when the sh*t happens.
Mate she had blood on her clothes a fat lip and blood on the bed sheets

A decent person doesn’t beat their wife

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Islam is in a tough position right now, elite skills who I could see giving Oliveria all he could handle right now. His name is not that big right now though. Means it's a fight no one wants to take, except for crazy bastards like Hooker.
Good on Hooker. He sounds like a happy chappy. Getting well compensated.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

Like I've always said about Jones.. Leave the alcohol alone and there will never be an issue. That's all he has to do. Alcohol and drugs is when the sh*t happens.
What about the weed and the coke?

He has enough runs on the board for most sane people to make the assumption hes extremely unlikely to change.

Ultimately it comes down to where you draw the line. Hands on a woman for ANY reason (dont care if he was high, drunk or otherwise) and feeling the scene of an accident goes beyond a good person making a few mistakes for me. It clearly doesnt for you but you have a rep in here for defending s**t behavior whilst claiming you dont defend s**t behavior.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeh for sure, i suspect if he loses he is going to get sat on and beat up for 1-3 rounds and not gonna look good.

In any event my point was that it looks like a simple payday opportunity opposed to a strategic decision, which is fine and good on him, but i cant recall too many fighters that has worked well for as a career strategy (in terms of getting a belt).

In all honesty if Hooker loses hopefully he does get wrestle*ed, at least fans can write off the performance as due to Islam's great grappling.

If he loses I feel Islam will wear the strap at some point so hindsight will show it's not too bad.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What about the weed and the coke?

He has enough runs on the board for most sane people to make the assumption hes extremely unlikely to change.

Ultimately it comes down to where you draw the line. Hands on a woman for ANY reason (dont care if he was high, drunk or otherwise) and feeling the scene of an accident goes beyond a good person making a few mistakes for me. It clearly doesnt for you but you have a rep in here for defending sh*t behavior whilst claiming you dont defend sh*t behavior.
Jon's issue is with the alcohol more so than pot or coke. I think that's pretty obvious.

Did you post on BF 108 times yesterday? Mr BF himself. That's really amazing. Lifting that average of..what was it 3 didn't you say? 🤣

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jon's issue is with the alcohol more so than pot or coke. I think that's pretty obvious.

Did you post on BF 108 times yesterday? Mr BF himself. That's really amazing. Lifting that average of..what was it 3 didn't you say? 🤣
Youve got a real complex about me dont you.

Given hes been found with weed and coke previously id suggest theyre all likely an issue but as you so ineloquently put it, he doesnt have any substance abuse issues... except when he does... which seems to be a bit...

I always said Jon should just embrace his true nature, take the heel turn, his holier than thou, bible quote tattoos, through Jesus i can do all things is bullshit, hes a wife beating, heavy drinking, adulterer who doesnt care about anyone but himself, hed be much much happier and probably better in cage if he just accepted that. Id suggest you would be the same, stop trying to pretend you dont condone the actions or support the person when you do nothing but defend them. You are allowed to, i dont really care, i wont agree with you but when you straddle this confused line you open yourself up to way more criticism.

Back