news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually trained with Dan for a while (i did a bit of his pre fight camp sparring in the build up to an AFC fight) and i couldnt imagine this from him at all.

A genuinely lovely humble family man.

Yeah that's how he comes across, mate of one of the guys who was there told me the story, legit as * ha ha

What was it like sparring with him? Doesn't seem like the sort that would ever coast in training, you'd always be in for a scrap I'd imagine.

Yeah that's how he comes across, mate of one of the guys who was there told me the story, legit as fu** ha ha

What was it like sparring with him? Doesn't seem like the sort that would ever coast in training, you'd always be in for a scrap I'd imagine.
Yeh spot on, Judo guys are ******* bad asses, they kill themselves in training, some of the fittest dudes ive ever seen.

So Dan slipped a stright right straight through my guard and spread my nose all over my face, blood everywhere. We finished the 5 minute round and he kept going (5x5 minute rounds with fresh opponents was the old routine). He came over to me afterwards to check on me, said "you can take a punch mate, you should fight cause seriously, 90% of this s**t is just being able to take punch".

I walked out feeling 10 foot tall.

Yeh spot on, Judo guys are ******* bad asses, they kill themselves in training, some of the fittest dudes ive ever seen.

So Dan slipped a stright right straight through my guard and spread my nose all over my face, blood everywhere. We finished the 5 minute round and he kept going (5x5 minute rounds with fresh opponents was the old routine). He came over to me afterwards to check on me, said "you can take a punch mate, you should fight cause seriously, 90% of this sh*t is just being able to take punch".

Cool story bro (I'm being sincere too ha ha).

It's funny he says that's it's mainly taking a punch, I feel like many would disagree. But when you look at Kelly's career what was he actually great at? Being tough as hell, great cardio, volume of striking? He didn't even really ever use his main skill of judo (except for one hip toss at Etihad I think) Yet he beat a former champ and until he ran into Brunson was on his way to contending amazingly enough.

Well he outstruck Rashad Evans so don't feel too bad (Evans landed better punches but Kelly was in his face the whole time and landed more)
Hi ability to pressure is really good, you cannot move him if hes planted his feet (im a similar size and pretty solid wrestler) and his hands are HEAVY.

Cool story bro (I'm being sincere too ha ha).

It's funny he says that's it's mainly taking a punch, I feel like many would disagree. But when you look at Kelly's career what was he actually great at? Being tough as hell, great cardio, volume of striking? He didn't even really ever use his main skill of judo (except for one hip toss at Etihad I think) Yet he beat a former champ and until he ran into Brunson was on his way to contending amazingly enough.
His point was more about at a lower amatuer level the biggest thing that stops people is being able to take a punch and not react too hard (we discussed it further later on)

The old "everyone has a gameplan til they get hit in the face". He cracked me there was blood pouring out and i didnt react, just kept about my fight.

Of course that's a sad story that he tells, but bringing it up now certainly smacks of deflection.

And yes it certainly doesn't excuse domestic violence but it may explain it. It's similar with Wayne Carey actually, many have a negative view of him and particularly some of his actions in the past, but if you read his book you get some explanation as to how he ended up that way.
Can you tell me instead as I wont read his book? Just the cliffs.

I actually trained with Dan for a while (i did a bit of his pre fight camp sparring in the build up to an AFC fight) and i couldnt imagine this from him at all.

A genuinely lovely humble family man.
Yeah, that's my experience with him, very friendly and humble. He is good mates with my brother as they trained a lot together for the Olympics, and when my bro was also thinking of going into MMA.

Can you tell me instead as I wont read his book? Just the cliffs.

Dad was the toughest man in the Riverina, hard drinking and pub brawling type of fella. He had girlfriends usually along with Carey's mum, and would often bring patrons from the pub home for Carey and his brother to fight, to toughen them up (this is when Carey was like 12 or 13).

Wayne lived with older brother Dick in his teens, probably not the best role model but he did look out for him. I guess between him and his dad he didn't have the best examples for treating women, plus he's always had his pick of women as well apparently. There's a bit more to it and again it doesn't excuse some of his behaviour but he had a rough upbringing in quite a few ways imo.

From the book

One night Dad put a serrated knife into Mum's nose and slit her nostril open. The wound left a scar which she still carries today. Another time he broke her cheekbone with a punch. Yet another time he smeared her face with her own blood after a fierce belting and got our five-year-old sister, Karen, out of her bed to witness the damage.

Why he did that, I don't know.

Once he had Mum on the ground in the back yard and turned the hose on full bore and forced it into her mouth. Only the shouts of a neighbour from over the fence caused my father to stop the torture.

During another rage, Dad held a rifle to Mum's head. She jerked her head away just before he pulled the trigger and sent a bullet clattering into the ceiling. The hole was never fixed.

Feeling helpless and alone, she became desperate. Things came to a head in 1977 when Mum and Dick, who was 16 at the time, hatched a plan to stop the beatings. They decided to kill Dad.

I actually think he starches him. Will completely kill the Masvidal marketability.
Edwards will play it safe a go for a points victory like he always does

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Dan slipped a stright right straight through my guard and spread my nose all over my face, blood everywhere. We finished the 5 minute round and he kept going (5x5 minute rounds with fresh opponents was the old routine). He came over to me afterwards to check on me, said "you can take a punch mate, you should fight cause seriously, 90% of this sh*t is just being able to take punch".

That's a pretty cool story dude

On the 269 card I see!
Thought they would have tried to pull as much money out of this as possible.

Yeah not sure who would have wanted it more at 3. Gives mas a chance to explode more but also means Less time for Rocky to get tired and get cracked.

You can’t see Edwards putting Mas on his back and dominating him for 5 rounds? I sure as sh*t can.
Considering its a 3 round fight, no

And 'starch' means ko, so again no

Remove this Banner Ad

Back