news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Apparently Ngannou feels disrespected by the interim title again. Who gives a s**t. I'm kinda over Ngannou a little. Bloke barely fights. You're still the champion and an interim title only makes the unified fight even bigger.

Yeah it does get a bit annoying seeing him not fight. I believe he’s out of the contract a year from his last fight if he doesn’t resign, will be interesting what happens

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think the initial interim title (when he was out for a few months and they signed Gane v Lewis) was ridiculous and was pretty disrespectful (especially given how long some guys can not fight and not have an interim made under them).

At this point it seems fair to do whatever with the title given he wont fight for 12-18 months and will have had 2 fights in 3 years by the time he does.

Apparently Ngannou feels disrespected by the interim title again. Who gives a s**t. I'm kinda over Ngannou a little. Bloke barely fights. You're still the champion and an interim title only makes the unified fight even bigger.

He rarely fights because he wants to earn more than pocket change for being the UFC Heavyweight Champion. You can bet that Dana was crossing his fingers that Gane would win.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The last interim title was pretty unfounded given it was announced a month or 2 after he won it and seemed to be motivated by stale contract negotiations - but with this one was pretty heavily documented that he had some serious knee issues requiring a reco if i'm not mistaken?

So this one probably makes much more sense, particularly so if he's not guaranteed to return after he recovers.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Interim title sounds better, but in reality it's nothing more than a number one contender fight (and it should be called that).
Francis had a knee reco. Serious injuries should be shown a bit more respect from the UFC.
The previous Interim was just Dana being a campaigner.
Why is it. Ngannou barely fights. If him and his management say behind closed doors we aren't gonna be active Dana can do what he likes.
He's had 3 fights since June 2019. He's extremely inactive and he's taking another year off. We don't want this sport to become boxing where the title is held up for years.

I'm sick of all the interim's personally. Found one in my corn flakes box this morning and now I'm expected to fight Israel for the title with zero training.

Gonna have to sit down with Goshka and watch a couple of events to hone my UFC skills. He can break down the slow mo's replays and I'll be ready to go next week.

Damn training UFC is a thing of beauty!

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why is it. Ngannou barely fights. If him and his management say behind closed doors we aren't gonna be active Dana can do what he likes.
He's had 3 fights since June 2019. He's extremely inactive and he's taking another year off. We don't want this sport to become boxing where the title is held up for years.
He won the belt in March last year. He then defended in January this year. That length of lay off between those two fights is in part because the UFC made that stupid interim fight.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He won the belt in March last year. He then defended in January this year. That length of lay off between those two fights is in part because the UFC made that stupid interim fight.
Lol no interims for Adesanya, Volk and Usman you know why? Cause they actually do what they're paid to do which is fight. Ngannou cries about money but refuses to fight. I don't even care about Ngannou anymore. You can't barely fight then complain. 3 fights in 3 years. Adesanya does that in a year.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Don't know if this has been mentioned but when Luis Gomez left the BYM pod I thought it was gonna suck but Anthony smith is good on it now it's even better.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but when Luis Gomez left the BYM pod I thought it was gonna suck but Anthony smith is good on it now it's even better.
Yeah Anthony Smith is really articulate and works well with Bisping

The period between Luis J Gomez leaving and Anthony Smith joining was a lot more miss than hits with the guest hosts.

I do miss the 20 minutes of piss taking bullshit between Gomez and Bisping at the beginning though. They were pretty funny together

Yeah it would appear so. It's interesting, I'm not sure what sort of nick both of these guys are in, going to be hard to predict. I'm going to go with what I've said all along: Jones beats Stipe and it could be rather easily.
Would be very surprised if Jones walked through Stipe easily

Stipe is 39 though so maybe he does

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah Anthony Smith is really articulate and works well with Bisping

The period between Luis J Gomez leaving and Anthony Smith joining was a lot more miss than hits with the guest hosts.

I do miss the 20 minutes of piss taking bullshit between Gomez and Bisping at the beginning though. They were pretty funny together
Pretty sure someone on here said that hated Smith and I remember thinking how? Blokes so bloody likeable. Refuses to take the title like a bitch, fights with his teeth being knocked out, speaks as well as any fighter ever and never says no to a fight. The home intruder story just solidified him as a gangsta.

Pretty sure someone on here said that hated Smith and I remember thinking how? Blokes so bloody likeable. Refuses to take the title like a bitch, fights with his teeth being knocked out, speaks as well as any fighter ever and never says no to a fight. The home intruder story just solidified him as a gangsta.
Yeah I don't know how you could dislike the guy

He is exactly what you want in an athlete, reminds me of the old style Aussie athletes

Is a battler who gives 110%, is an underdog, respectful & speaks well. 100% would love to have a beer with that bloke

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah I think if Cormier can catch Stipe then I reckon Jon can clinch him up and land some knees and elbows. Be interesting how the extra muscle helps his submissions. Heavyweights aren't exactly known for submission defence.

Back