news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Btw I don't blame Ngannou for leaving at all phantom13 you just make your own ideas when you reply but neither of them were close to each other. What Ngannou wanted doesn't benefit the UFC and vice versa. Go box, make a s**t load of money fighting less than once a year why not.

Btw I don't blame Ngannou for leaving at all phantom13 you just make your own ideas when you reply but neither of them were close to each other. What Ngannou wanted doesn't benefit the UFC and vice versa. Go box, make a s**t load of money fighting less than once a year why not.
Its pretty clear you dont think the UFC is to blame either though.

Im apportioning blame for the breakdown to both sides. * for all we know maybe Francis stays and does his fights if one of the other things he asked for is agreed to.

Im saying both sides clearly negotiated poorly.

It looks alot like your saying Francis asked for too much and the UFC did the right thing by telling him to jog on. Thats fine if you do, just seems pretty one sided to me.

Anyone having a go at Ngannou in thos situation should check out his interview on the MMA Hour. As mentioned by mouncy, this is a really intelligent, articulate man, and what he was asking for would have benefited every fighter, not just himself.
The only bit of that i didnt agree with was Ariel saying Dana implied Francis was scared. I dont think Dana ever did that, Dana said that Francis was about minimizing risk and maximising profits, which he absolutely should be, thats what every fighter should be doing, or at least balancing risk against pay.

Sponsorship, health cover or a fighter voice/ representation on the board... seem like pretty reasonable demands that would have improved the situation for every single fighter.

Good on him for standing up for what they deserve
Yep, now lets see him box and make sure the under card fighters get all of those things and a decent pay check too

Yep, now lets see him box and make sure the under card fighters get all of those things and a decent pay check too
None of that will be up to him unless he fights under his own promotional banner, which he won't.

Likely with PFL and Pauls link he'll fight under his banner and tbf to Jake hes pretty vocal on fighter pay...

None of that will be up to him unless he fights under his own promotional banner, which he won't.

Likely with PFL and Pauls link he'll fight under his banner and tbf to Jake hes pretty vocal on fighter pay...
He is, but how much are his under card fighters getting paid?

The only bit of that i didnt agree with was Ariel saying Dana implied Francis was scared. I dont think Dana ever did that, Dana said that Francis was about minimizing risk and maximising profits, which he absolutely should be, thats what every fighter should be doing, or at least balancing risk against pay.

Good of Dana to acknowledge that, any prizefighter should be thinking like that, they risk their life every time they fight.

That said, I hope he gets well paid for any fight against Tyson Fury if it happens, he's most likely getting the s**t beaten out of him.

Undercard fighters have every right to sponsorship and that covers most of their costs/ training camp

Ufc actively suppress the earning ability of their fighters which is what they need to start to fight against, I'm just glad someone has started to get the ball rolling

Last edited:
Yeah Jake and Francis will make millions, everyone else at the PFL will make $50
Go look up a few of the scams good old Jakey and his brother have been involved in

Makes them really look like are concerned for the other fighters

Undercard fighters have every right to sponsorship and that covers most of their costs/ training camp

Ufc actively suppress the earning ability of their fighters which is what they need to start to fight against, I'm just glad someone has started to get the ball rolling
So the sponsorship is the issue not the wages or health cover?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the sponsorship is the issue not the wages or health cover?
Well he asked for all of them. Ridiculous right?

The pay issue, specifically the miniscule proportion of company earnings that the fighters see, compared to all other sports, is obviously a big one. And one which could be rectified fairly substantially by the obvious workaround of allowing them to have their own sponsorship. But the healthcare issue is actually the more significant one, and the one that could come back to bite the company in the long run.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Francis has already spoken to Bellator/PFL and might get a deal where he can fight MMA and take a boxing bout if it comes his way? Surely he's not just relying on a Tyson Fury fight happening, I mean he'll get smashed and who does he fight then, Jake Paul?

I see Glover beating Hill pretty easily. Maybe I'll be surprised.
Me too, first or second round submission. Although hills a scary mother*er but Glover's got that Charles style thing where he can soak a punch and be more dangerous on his back.

It does seem a pretty terrible matchup for Hill, but you never know. He has elite KO power, and father time will surely catch Glover at some point.

I would think Jiri, Jan or Ankalaev all go in heavy favourite against Hill if he does manage to pull it off.

It does seem a pretty terrible matchup for Hill, but you never know. He has elite KO power, and father time will surely catch Glover at some point.

I would think Jiri, Jan or Ankalaev all go in heavy favourite against Hill if he does manage to pull it off.
I ******* love Jiri but that guy seems 50-50 against everyone he does not give a * about eating a punch or 10

The narrative on r/mma is that Ngannou is representing himself, doesn't have proper management, and is biting off way more than he can chew, if he thinks he can negotiate a solid paycheck with boxing promoters on his own.

One of the reasons given is that in the interview with Ariel, Ngannou came across as not knowing what he is doing next, and not really caring, being too relaxed and airy-fairy, etc.

I hope this take is wrong.

Surely Ngannou has some people around him who know what they are doing and already have their ducks lined up.

We all want to see Ngannou fight, we all want to see him make his money.

If he is genuinely trying to do this without the right guidance and assistance, it may well prove to be a bad move.

Last edited:
The narrative on r/mma is that Ngannou is representing himself, doesn't have proper management, and is biting off way more than he can chew, if he thinks he can negotiate a solid paycheck with boxing promoters on his own.

One of the reasons given is that in the interview with Ariel, Ngannou came across as not knowing what he is doing next, and not really caring, being too relaxed and airy-fairy, etc.

I hope this take is wrong.

Surely Ngannou has some people around him who know what they are doing and already have their ducks lined up.

We all want to see Ngannou fight, we all want to see him make his money.

If he is genuinely trying to do this without the right guidance and assistance, it may well prove to be a bad move.
Didn’t Ariel also interview Ngannous manager Martin something?

I’m sure he has a manager.

I'm confident that Ngannou knows what he's doing. He has a manager- Marquel Martin (former ufc worker, I think), he and Dana aren't besties.
Also pretty sure the ufc offered a solid deal in the way of $$, but at the end of the day Ngannou has plans that don't involve being owned and limited by the ufc contract.

I'm confident that Ngannou knows what he's doing. He has a manager- Marquel Martin (former ufc worker, I think), he and Dana aren't besties.
Also pretty sure the ufc offered a solid deal in the way of $$, but at the end of the day Ngannou has plans that don't involve being owned and limited by the ufc contract.
I get the insurance, benefits and union element to it. Being allowed to box is ******* stupid though. Clayton Oliver doesn't get to play for a big bash team in the summer cause he deserves freedom. Ngannou being allowed to box is dumb and anyone who agrees with it is equally as dumb.

The other stuff I can certainly find merit in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back