news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I get the insurance, benefits and union element to it. Being allowed to box is ******* stupid though. Clayton Oliver doesn't get to play for a big bash team in the summer cause he deserves freedom. Ngannou being allowed to box is dumb and anyone who agrees with it is equally as dumb.

The other stuff I can certainly find merit in
I doubt many would disagree with you but as I have pointed out a bunch of times the UFC has already set the precedent with boxing. So they themselves were stupid and Frances would be remiss not to ask.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
I doubt many would disagree with you but as I have pointed out a bunch of times the UFC has already set the precedent with boxing. So they themselves were stupid and Frances would be remiss not to ask.
Yeh I think that's the main issue with the boxing aspect. Also, if they were allowed personal sponsorship, I would 100% agree with not letting them take on outside ventures.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Francis PPV numbers are dog s**t, he's not in the top 50 of all time even once from what I've looked at. Nothing.
He is a relative nobody compared to Conor who at the time had leverage because the UFC was built on PPV. They don't make money on the PPVs to ESPN anymore it's sold as a year on year product. I don't mean to s**t on Francis but they don't give a * about his boxing desires, it's a stupid request

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Francis has a willing opponent in Fury which would be huge, but that doesn't benefit the UFC, it would be as stupid as them giving a boxing stipulation to Leon Edwards or Aljo

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Francis PPV numbers are dog s**t, he's not in the top 50 of all time even once from what I've looked at. Nothing.
He is a relative nobody compared to Conor who at the time had leverage because the UFC was built on PPV. They don't make money on the PPVs to ESPN anymore it's sold as a year on year product. I don't mean to s**t on Francis but they don't give a * about his boxing desires, it's a stupid request
Yeh but you (quite rightly I add) say it’s dumb to let anyone do it. The UFC opened this box and that should be acknowledged.

Let Frances don’t let Frances but if they never let Conor I doubt anyone would even ask.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeh but you (quite rightly I add) say it’s dumb to let anyone do it. The UFC opened this box and that should be acknowledged.

Let Frances don’t let Frances but if they never let Conor I doubt anyone would even ask.
No it shouldn't, there's no comparison. Conor's fart do bigger business than Ngannous fights. The UFC don't do PPV sales as a core business anymore and the company isn't for sale. If the best come back you have is that they did it once then yeah it's a stupid argument

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
No it shouldn't, there's no comparison. Conor's fart do bigger business than Ngannous fights. The UFC don't do PPV sales as a core business anymore and the company isn't for sale. If the best come back you have is that they did it once then yeah it's a stupid argument
Lol, right.

It’s stupid all the time except when you decide it isn’t.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Your only argument for is that 'they've done it before'
It's not a good one
I’m pointing out that you have made the argument the ufc letting ANY of its fighters box is dumb and here’s some specific quotes where you have said exactly that.

is just stupid to think the UFC should be letting their under contract fighters represent other organisations
, letting their fighters run off to box under contract is just stupid.

What Ngannou wanted doesn't benefit the UFC and vice versa. Go box, make a s**t load of money fighting less than once a year why not.
Being allowed to box is ******* stupid though. Clayton Oliver doesn't get to play for a big bash team in the summer cause he deserves freedom.

Now to be clear I AGREE WITH YOU letting fighters box is stupid and the UFC shouldn’t ever do it (the Clayton Oliver example is correct imo, although if Clayton was Irish he would likely be allowed to go play Gaelic which is weird).

You’ve said somewhere else you can’t blame the UFC at all for this but I can’t understand your logic there.

It’s completely okay for the UFC to abandon the no boxing rule for Conor (as well as grappling matches for numerous other guys) but it’s NOT okay for Frances to ask if he can box? It’s a total double standard. Now acknowledging it’s a double standard with the clarification that Conor is special would also be fine but you’re not doing that, you’re just telling anyone who thinks maybe both sides of this break down contributed is an idiot (and we’ve both been on this board for a long time and you’ve never been this aggressively arrogant in a discussion so I don’t know why this has you so up in arms).

Letting any fighter box is stupid, no one would disagree but they’ve done it, they set the precedent. So how on Earth is Frances the idiot for asking?

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ngannou has a dream to box. He has always had it. He couldn't do that in the ufc. Also, I'm pretty sure Ngannou would have signed a shorter contract- 3 fights? That way he could have defended the belt, etc, and still been able to box after that contract (whilst still young enough - 36 atm). The ufc probably wanted 6 - 8 fight contract.

It's a shame ufc couldn't give the smaller contract.. Ngannou was a massive part of the HW line-up. Anyway it's been done, they've parted ways. No point getting knickers in a knot about it.

GL to Ngannou. Looking forward to some big shows hopefully.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
To change tact do people actually think this is gonna work for Ngannou? He's gonna destroyed by any half decent boxer.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I suspect he gives himself every chance.

I suspect he gets absolutely destroyed by anyone even half good. He’s got a punchers chance as anyone with some power does but yeh.
Deontay Wilder already exists and he's shown he has punching power into the late rounds. Ngannou hasn't at all

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To change tact do people actually think this is gonna work for Ngannou? He's gonna destroyed by any half decent boxer.
It will work for him cause he's doing what he wants to. Win, lose or draw. It's not about money.. it's about
will ferrell GIF

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
… ngannou doesn’t have punching power? Is that your take here?
Not that our Canadian friend needs help being an argumentative kent but I believe he's saying that Wilder has shown he can punch hard late into bouts whereas Ngannou has yet to show that particular ability.

My take as someone who watched UFC a bit but soured on it due the org being very shitty to their workers:

Wanting your fighters to be essentially rights-free sub contractors while denying them sponsorship and also wanting non-compete contracts is ******* shitty.

They should pick a lane, employees they control but look after OR subbies who can do what the * they want outside of their UFC fights.

I've been out of the loop a while so correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not that our Canadian friend needs help being an argumentative kent but I believe he's saying that Wilder has shown he can punch hard late into bouts whereas Ngannou has yet to show that particular ability.

My take as someone who watched UFC a bit but soured on it due the org being very shitty to their workers:

Wanting your fighters to be essentially rights-free sub contractors while denying them sponsorship and also wanting non-compete contracts is ******* shitty.

They should pick a lane, employees they control but look after OR subbies who can do what the * they want outside of their UFC fights.

I've been out of the loop a while so correct me if my understanding is wrong.
If that’s his point the I would point out I didn’t say he has punching power late, I just said he has punching power and this a punchers chance. If ngannou doesn’t KO any boxer in the first round (maybe two) he’s gonna have a bad night but suggesting he has 0% chance is foolish imo.

Anyone that hits that hard has a chance but yeh, he’s a ******* long shot against any decent boxer.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
If that’s his point the I would point out I didn’t say he has punching power late, I just said he has punching power and this a punchers chance. If ngannou doesn’t KO any boxer in the first round (maybe two) he’s gonna have a bad night but suggesting he has 0% chance is foolish imo.

Anyone that hits that hard has a chance but yeh, he’s a ******* long shot against any decent boxer.
Would be interesting to see how he'd go if he went for a multi-year build up. Think he's dead against someone like Fury. What do I know though? I thought JDS could have made it in a dead heavyweight boxing scene at the time but then he came out and punched like a moron who'd never boxed in the UFC and got beat up on his feet by that Mexican slapper who's name has has temporarily escaped me.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would be interesting to see how he'd go if he went for a multi-year build up. Think he's dead against someone like Fury. What do I know though? I thought JDS could have made it in a dead heavyweight boxing scene at the time but then he came out and punched like a moron who'd never boxed in the UFC and got beat up on his feet by that Mexican slapper who's name has has temporarily escaped me.
Probably why he’d want a fury straight up. Every fight he doesn’t win costs him dollars and he probably doesn’t win too many.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

C'mon mate what I'm saying is there's already a better version of Ngannou who boxes called Deontay Wilder

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I’d ask again, are you saying Ngannou has 0% chance?

Like, my point essentially agreed with you and you still wanted to argue with it?
I'm not arguing with you mate Jesus lol. Im saying Francis has gone from being the apex predator to a sport that IMO has heavyweights that are way better than him. Ngannou has a punchers chance against fury as Tai had against Gane

Back