Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He gets beaten by every boxer in the top 50 but he'll also make triple the money. Probably 10x more if a rumoured Fury bout comes true
You think he's gonna be a big money draw when Fury inevitably makes him look stupid? I don't see the PPV selling super well and then he's kinda stuck unless he becomes a movie star

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
You think he's gonna be a big money draw when Fury inevitably makes him look stupid? I don't see the PPV selling super well and then he's kinda stuck unless he becomes a movie star
I think he needs Wilder or Fury as his first fight, make a tonne of cash and then live off whatever is left after theyve almost certainly buried him.

If he cant retire off one of those guys and his UFC earnings id be concerned.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hes not remotely like Jake Paul in any way...

For clarity i mean an influencer type.

Would Brock v Lesnar get any buys as a boxing match?
No s**t he's not like Jake Paul there's no heavyweight YouTube stars that were former child actors. But in terms of money and views to relative skill level it's Lesnar or one of the Icelandic bodybuilders

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
He wont need to. He'll make $10m or more and it wont matter. I think he might go the Bellator/Showtime crossover route if he cant get Fury.

Chisora has put his hand up for the fight too. No shortage of options and losing to a big name isnt that detrimental. Worst case he loses then goes and fights in the middle east somewhere for some crazy site fee payment. He'll make more in 1-2 boxing fights than his whole UFC career such is the revenue split difference

To change tact do people actually think this is gonna work for Ngannou? He's gonna destroyed by any half decent boxer.
Nope, I reckon in the long run he has made the wrong move

He turned down $24m for 3 fights, the way people are talking you would think it is $2.4m

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

He turned down $24m for 3 fights, the way people are talking you would think it is $2.4m
Probably comes down to how much can he make from boxing and quickly.

Hes 36 (37 this year) so 3 fights might be his last 3 fights. UFC Heavyweight is so dangerous, anyone can beat anyone so theres as much chance of him losing (and losing badly) all those fights as there is of winning them all.

So $24m for 3 fights now (i didnt know that was the number i assumed it was lower) versus whatever he makes if he can land the Fury fight. Probably means he needs $20m from the Fury fight to call it a draw?

He wants to box. It's very simple. He doesn't want to be restricted by a ufc contract. Money isn't the issue.
That's bullshit, everyone knows that.

I don't doubt that he wants to box, but the reason for that will mostly be around what he perceives his potential earning power to be in boxing

And I don't have a problem with that, but lets not kid ourselves

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
He wants to box. It's very simple. He doesn't want to be restricted by a ufc contract. Money isn't the issue.
Money is definitely an issue. Id suggest money is THE issue. Ultimately if it was $100m for 3 fights in the UFC id be 100% sure hed still be in the UFC.

He might want the freedom to box and do other stuff but ultimately hes not doing any of it for free.

Probably comes down to how much can he make from boxing and quickly.

Hes 36 (37 this year) so 3 fights might be his last 3 fights. UFC Heavyweight is so dangerous, anyone can beat anyone so theres as much chance of him losing (and losing badly) all those fights as there is of winning them all.

So $24m for 3 fights now (i didnt know that was the number i assumed it was lower) versus whatever he makes if he can land the Fury fight. Probably means he needs $20m from the Fury fight to call it a draw?
Yeah probably agree with most of that. But lets be serious Fury is going to make him look like an absolute fool in the boxing ring, so much so I don't even know if there will be as big an interest in it that people seem to think there will be

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah probably agree with most of that. But lets be serious Fury is going to make him look like an absolute fool in the boxing ring, so much so I don't even know if there will be as big an interest in it that people seem to think there will be
Its spectacle fight s**t. Conor v Mayweather moved the dial so i think Frances might (not to that degree). Its part of why i struggle to care about boxing, its rare you get the best guys fighting the best guys.

If he gets $25m or more hes probably happy to be made to look a fool. If he can then do some lower level fights that bank on his name but still make a couple mil hes pushing $30-$40m for a couple years work.

It all hinges on a Fury fight and the more i think about that the less i think Fury would want to do it.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Conor could do million PPV buys on his own, Francis has been a 'relative' failure as a PPV star. I don't think it's gonna do anywhere near as well as people think. Fury's completely carrying it.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

I wonder if walking away is gonna end up being stupid, the UFC let's you say whatever you want on the mic, I wonder if it would have been more powerful if he kept winning fights and then asked for health insurance and his other things inside the cage on the mic and in the post fight press conference

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Conor could do million PPV buys on his own, Francis has been a 'relative' failure as a PPV star. I don't think it's gonna do anywhere near as well as people think. Fury's completely carrying it.
If you consider it in the "man fights bear" sideshow s**t, Frances is the bear. He has that sports science show thing has having the heaviest punch ever recorded (which is bullshit) and hes a big terrifying man from a different sport but overall yeh, Fury is bringing most of the eyes. Its actually why i cant see it happening, whats the upside for Fury here?

Back