Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Well after years (decades, even) of talk we’ve experienced it at night.

Assuming the GF is played (a) on a Saturday and (b) at the MCG... when do you want it to start (local Melb time)?

2:30pm The “traditional timeslot”

3:30pm Still an afternoon match, but perhaps a “fairer” afternoon time in a national sense, being that it’s not too early in WA.

4:30pm Similar to twilight PFs we’ve become somewhat used to, with the game finishing at night

7:30pm The night match

Choose the time that’s closest to when you’d like it to start.

Western Australia is currently three hours behind Victoria as daylight saving has started, but in a “normal” footy season, they’re two hours behind for a late-September Grand Final.

The game would have started at 6:30 in Victoria if you hadn't done that silly practice of putting your clocks forward.
6:30 is the best time.

The game would have started at 6:30 in Victoria if you hadn't done that silly practice of putting your clocks forward.
6:30 is the best time.
Agree last night finished too late

Give me Saturday night

During the season, night time football is the best no matter what.

But under the unique circumstances of the Grand Final, it's a tight call between afternoon and night

Atmosphere is better at night
entertainment is done better at night (the lights/lackthereof can make the production better)

But yeah, it can be a drag waiting so long with nothing else to distract you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you understand how terrible that is for WA residents?

Who the fu** is watching TV at midday on a Saturday?

A lunchtime GF BBQ is terrible?

Give me Saturday night

During the season, night time football is the best no matter what.

But under the unique circumstances of the Grand Final, it's a tight call between afternoon and night

Atmosphere is better at night
entertainment is done better at night (the lights/lackthereof can make the production better)

But yeah, it can be a drag waiting so long with nothing else to distract you.
That's like saying stargazing is better at night, no one gives a s**t for that aspect of the event. You could save that money and spend it elsewhere and no one would care.

If it ain't broke. North Melbourne breakfast, get together with friends, a barby, lots of the amber, watch the game getting slowly sloshed, game over, more dinner more booze into the evening, legless by midnight.

Any option other than the 2.30 start, North Melbourne breakfast, barby, lots and lots and lots of amber watching old replays, legless when the game starts, kids to bed 3 quarter time. crashed when the game is over and not sure who won and needing to watch the replay the following day because you were too drunk to enjoy it at the time.

Nighttime entertainment for who? The corporates who end up at the AFL grand final? If you by some miracle get tickets you get to see some fireworks, get smoked out, get a good band or meatloaf and get home 1am. If like most of us you watch it on TV the fireworks are no big deal on a screen, and night or day means nothing on a screen.

Greed is the only reason to put on a night or late afternoon grand final. They can and will put all of the other finals in the evening let us have our grand final at 2.30pm when we can enjoy it. You sell all the tickets to corporates so none of us can go leave us this one game at its traditional time.

Do you understand how terrible that is for WA residents?

Who the fu** is watching TV at midday on a Saturday?
I mean its not ideal, but it really doesn't bother people that much here. Pubs are still full as anything for it, people still have loads GF parties and BBQ's.
It just means that usually we're cracking our first drinks around 9-10am and we're in bed pretty early.

I mean its not ideal, but it really doesn't bother people that much here. Pubs are still full as anything for it, people still have loads GF parties and BBQ's.
It just means that usually we're cracking our first drinks around 9-10am and we're in bed pretty early.

You feel confident to talk on behalf of the entire state?

If I lived in Perth I would be pretty pissed having to start Grand final prep at 9am on Saturday morning...

You feel confident to talk on behalf of the entire state?

If I lived in Perth I would be pretty pissed having to start Grand final prep at 9am on Saturday morning...

well you certainly seem to :rolleyes:

well you certainly seem to :rolleyes:

Because there are stats that back that up.

How many people do you think are watching TV are 12pm on Saturday, compared to Saturday night at 7pm?

Why do you think theres like 10 times more people watching at 7pm?

Do you think people generally enjoy waking up at 8am on Saturday morning?

Last edited:
Back