Strategy The Giant's Playing Style

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
So, we have built a talented list, and we have have a young and promising coaching group. The club is is on the verge of regular on-field success. So, what is our playing style? What will emerge as a signature game-day strategy?

We have the toughness to play 'unsociable' footy. We have the elite runners to pursue 'rolling zone' footy ala Hawks, or 'running wave' footy ala Geelong. We have forwards like Cameron and Tomlinson who would have thrived in 'Pagan's Paddock'. Will Leon cook up a revolution or an evolution in style?

So far, I haven't been able to really pick it. This season should reveal much more. The boys should be ready to begin consistently applying an elite level game-day strategy.

I am very interested to hear what others are seeing, and what is predicted over the next couple of years...

The training sessions I have seen with "game play" elements suggest that a focus will be fast ball movement through the corridor.
Are they moving through the corridor via handball and overlapping runs, or are they going more direct by foot? There was a fair bit of the former last year.

Are they moving through the corridor via handball and overlapping runs, or are they going more direct by foot? There was a fair bit of the former last year.
Former again, big emphasis on disposals under pressure and fast handballs out of packs into run, carry and kick to square

A couple of times last year they reminded me a lot of Geelong circa 2007. Control it in the back half, wait for an opening and then pull the trigger and go Bang up the middle in a free flowing style. Wave after wave. Now obviously we're a long way from Geelong 2007 but there were definite glimpses there and as a style of play its a pretty successful model.

I recall how when we first lost to the Giants it was a low point in the clubs' career and cost Matthew Primus his job and started to get Garry Lyon to call us "irrelevant". At the start of this year we may have pencilled this game in but it is looking to be much more of a danger game than plenty of the Vic games we have.

I recall how when we first lost to the Giants it was a low point in the clubs' career and cost Matthew Primus his job and started to get Garry Lyon to call us "irrelevant". At the start of this year we may have pencilled this game in but it is looking to be much more of a danger game than plenty of the Vic games we have.

If we're playing you in Adelaide... I'd probably rate you as a better bet. That said, we are improving all the time.

As predicted boys. The game plan is very clear now. The next couple of years, the Giants are just going to rag doll so many sides.
As exciting as beating Hawthorn was, I think the 2 Canberra games laid down the blue print. The 2nd half comeback against Melbourne was awesome, but could have been a one-off. But then the way they controlled Gold Coast showed them at their best, and as Leon Cameron might say, capable of winning on any given day.

Quick inside ball movement can actually make a team seem faster.
Leon likes quick inside ball movement.
Also likes kicking to the pocket unless a player present on the lead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did they get a win?
And what jumpers do they wear?

Nah, the other side kicked 6:2 - and they wore hand-me-down charcoal Slater & Gordon Academy jumpers while we wait for our new orange and charcoal jumpers to arrive on Tuesday.

So, more scoring shots, but an 8 point loss :(

But hey, there's always next week.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back