Opinion "The goals will take care of themselves"

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting. Just going to leave this here.

Scores with Stringer in the side, 2017: 100, 110, 73, 89, 122, 73, 80, 90, 42, 56, 107, 80, 45, 82, 57, 79.

Scores without Stringer in the side, 2017: 114, 81, 110, 127, 103, 90.

0ver 100 with xxxxxxx 4 out of 16 - 25%
Over without xxxxxxxx 4 out of 6 - 67%
Over without SchachAttack - 8 out of 22 - 36%

Ergo SchachAttack has greater impact than xxxxxxxx

Maybe if the injury gods are kind, and we can get Libba, Wally, Dunkley and McLean all on the park at the same time in the midfield, we can afford to play Dal forward ... particularly if we are playing two talls - his ground level attack and ferocious defensive pressure would compliment a twin-towers forward line nicely.

Back to fwdline discussions ....

Roughhead Boyd redpath schache Campbell

Five blokes - At the very most only three of these can play.

Position 1 - best forward
First things first u must lock in your best pure forward first. And people kidding themselves if results don’t show that’s redpath.

Kicks more goals - takes more marks - and I think we use the ball better going forward with the way he leads up at the kicker.

That may change by year end and someone improves but right now he is our best fwd option of that lot.

Statistically compelling. 6.8 mark average last year. Worst goal average in last three years still better than Boyd’s bestbgoal avg last three years. Boyd not got near his mark output either.

Position 2 - second best fwd
Cleary the last two years have shown that the modern game doesn’t need a dominate ruck to win a flag. If U have one great but we don’t so no point prioritising it.

Imo our next best pure fwd wil be the shak. I also think he is more mobile with a bigger tank than the other three options. His output in his first two years as good as Boyd has producing and that was playing in a poor side with fewer opportunities.

Position three - ruckman
Clearly I am not a fan on a fifty fifty ruck combo. Both boyd and roughhead are not dominate rucks nor dominate fwds - it’s makes little to no sense to lock in this combination and just wear the fact we will be playing a non dominate fwd for the entire match.

Play a better fwd for the match and ruck the non dominate ruck most of the game and U improve your output. Between redpath schache and trengrove you can give the ruckman a chop out.

So who is our best pure ruckman? This is why I listed Campbell. He has to be in the conversation as showed enough in a couple of games last year to show he at least gets his hand to it more than the other two.

Whoever plays there needs to ruck 70-80%.

If Boyd’s fwd craft comes on then he may jump into position 1 or 2 above but right now and imo we can’t play Boyd and roughhead. I can’t work out out best individual ruckman.

Beveridge is very much a pets coach and my gut says he goes with roughy but personally I would go Boyd or campbell

Rough and Boyd are clearly out best ruck combo with both in form. I'd happily play rough as a back-ruck, Boyd forward-ruck, red at full forward and Schack half-forward or pocket all rotating. Think all can get on the park it just gets tricky once you factor in English, Adams and Trengove! Good problem to have!!

In 2017, Stringer, Redpath and Cloke offered next to nothing as tall targets for the long kick to position. It was frustrating watching them clear out of the hot spot on inappropriate leads when the best option was a good old fashioned long kick to position. No wonder we over finessed all season.

Boyd/Roughead and Schache will straighten us up in 2018. Add a mobile third tall like Cordy or Adams to CHF/FF and we will become absolutely clinical in moving the ball long and fast into 50. Our smaller forwards will feast on the crumbs.

I am not worried at this stage about lack of goal kicking capacity in 2018.

I'd happily play rough as a back-ruck, Boyd forward-ruck, red at full forward and Schack half-forward or pocket all rotating.
Roughead is an extraordinarily atrocious defender in my opinion. I hope to never see him in the backline again.

What Richmond and the Dogs showed that if you execute the game plan and increase your time in forward half you can be successful.
In the last 2 GF's the losing sides had the better performed forwards during the H&A season.
Bevo is not going to sit in the coaches box in round 1 and say to himself "Who is going to kick our goals?"

Roughead is an extraordinarily atrocious defender in my opinion. I hope to never see him in the backline again.

Just as bad fwd.

I suspect Bont may be a key fwd this yr.

Doubts on Schache, Boyd and Red.

Not round 1, but if he isn’t asking that question from now on, we are rooted
That's my point. They will be planning all their structures and game plan now. Including scoring ,defence, midfield as part of their list management. I gather by letting Cloke and Crameri go that they believe this area is covered..

Yeah I get it. I don't think he was as bad down there as everyone made out. Would happily experiment with it again as he can't simply play ruck under bevo and we suddenly have more likely options up forward we should look at. Preseason will be interesting anyway. Hope they throw them all around for a good look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back