Opinion "The goals will take care of themselves"

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Redpath will have a breakout of sorts in 2018. No preseason and fluctuating form derailed him. BS 3 game suspension was the cherry on top of the turd that was 2017.

Will be our leading goalkicker. 40+

I think we move the ball better with red in the side. Boyd or Cloke be the get out kick I think down the lines. Red stays fit and on the park he kicks 35+ to win our goal kicking.

Great post btw dan.

I think we can get 30+ from dale and I'll throw a optimist one in there - 25+ from lipinski.

I personally think Bont and Boyd look better up and around the ball.

Not sure Bont is a lead up marking kpf type when he plays fwd and his set shots are rubbish!!

And at this stage anything Boyd does is a bonus for me. I can't ever see him kicking 35 in a season.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Could Bontempelli be the next Brad Johnson? Better suited as a midfielder but has to play forward out of necessity?

Johnny_Dogg4

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It doesn't matter. Manic forward pressure creates turnovers, pressing up hard keeps it in there, and with our new and improved transitioning skills, it'll be whoever runs hard both ways to get free. It's all about team goals.

Our forwards are slow and immobile, and struggle to put immense pressure on defenders

Also non of our forwards can kick goals from half chances

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My starting forward line right now would consist of

Dale, Adams, McLean
Picken, Redpath, JJ

I think we can get plenty here of goals with that setup. An added bonus would be a return to form of Dickson and Crameri but that's more a hope rather than an expectation.

Crozier to fill JJs role on the backline.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My starting forward line right now would consist of

Dale, Adams, McLean
Picken, Redpath, JJ

I think we can get plenty here of goals with that setup. An added bonus would be a return to form of Dickson and Crameri but that's more a hope rather than an expectation.

Crozier to fill JJs role on the backline.
Jesus that’s scary. Not for opposition though, that’s really depressing for us. Wow.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Yeah lets face it we would want our midfield to return to 2016 levels to be any good next year.
Which is terrifying when you consider that guys like Bont and Hunter are consistently listed as saviours (I'm taking the liberty a bit here but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at) for our forward line.

Is cloning viable yet?

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Which is terrifying when you consider that guys like Bont and Hunter are consistently listed as saviours (I'm taking the liberty a bit here but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at) for our forward line.

Is cloning viable yet?

Let me start a 6 year medical degree and il find out for you ;).

Kind of in the "pray that JJ can turn himself into an elite small forward camp" now. Hence why i was bemused we didnt show greater/more public interest in Saad.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just thinking about it, I can’t see us being a top 8 side next year. West Coast will slide out, but can you put us in front of Hawthorn or Melbourne? Right now I can’t see it.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just thinking about it, I can’t see us being a top 8 side next year. West Coast will slide out, but can you put us in front of Hawthorn or Melbourne? Right now I can’t see it.

Hmm i still can. Improved output from our midfield and with the additions of Trengove and Crozier we are in a good place.

However can we compete with the top 4 teams with a very average forward line. My answer is no. Semi finals probably best we can do at a guess.

spider1004

Debutant
Jul 31, 2009
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fitness of Redpath / Cloke / Boyd and Dickson is key determinant for the extra goal a game that we need. If we can keep these guys on the park they will generate the additional scoring capacity that we undoubtedly need. Up the other end I would expect the addition of Trengove and Crozier plus the return of Adams to be the catalyst for a much tighter defensive group for 2018. We need a 300 point turn around in our for and against to be certain of finals next year [a goal a game up forward and hopefully a bit better than this in defence]

Kony Abbott

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good thread.

I'm a big fan of playing Cordy forward, attack on the footy is relentless and can compete in the air or at ground level. I'd set the forward line around him and Boyd, Boyd obviously as the primary marking target and to bring the ball to ground. All the other forwards would be high pressure players. The only real silver lining to stringer leaving is that we can have a forwardline where everyone chases hard and tackles.
Picken and smith chase and tackle hard, dale looks like a natural HFF/Wing type player who has some natural forward nous. A fully fit Crameri would seriously help.

I'd hope we would be able to bring in a bit pacey crumbing forward through the draft but I can see the bones of a good forward line coming together. I doubt it'll be especially potent in 2018 as players are developing/adapting but it won't be as dire as it seems.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
It’s a worry.

Bailey Dale kicked 16 goals in the last 10 games this year so he is potentially someone who becomes a 25-30 goal kicker next year. Bont should kick that amount next year if he gets back to his pre-2017 goalkicking accuracy.

I like Adams far more down back but I think we’ll give him an extended run forward at the start of next season and see if he can turn into a goal kicker for us. He showed some signs that he could this season, I’m far from convinced but it’s worth a shot. If it doesn’t work we can shift him back knowing he is a great defender.

Need Tom Boyd to play a full season next season, and spend the majority of his time on ground as a forward. He’ll need to be our leading goal kicker next season. I think that Boyd is pretty good, even when not marking it, at halving the contest at least and giving our smalls a chance to crumb it or lock it in the forward line. Not sure if the stats back it up but it feels like we allowed more intercepted marks against us this year.

Ricky_Lake

Team Captain
Mar 19, 2008
western suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not a fan of Cordy forward, Unless his kicking has improved, looks so uncoordinated and cannot kick over a jam tin. Love his pressure and hard work but his kicking is terrible

Dogsbestfriend

Team Captain
Mar 2, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would like to see Cordy playing forward next year. I agree his kicking is terrible but he did kick a us few important goals in last years finals.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
upload_2017-10-16_17-7-27.png

8 goals and 1 behind, bad kick yeah?

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
Bailey Dale plays a full season where he spends a fair chunk of time forward, 35+ is a conservative estimate. He's a Harry Kane level finisher in front of goal.

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
Remember without Stringer, there is now the oppositions best defender sliding over to play on someone else. so don't assume next in line will automatically improve their amount of goals.

Despite his recent poor form, Stringer is/was still the best forward we've had in the past decade. Towards the end of this season, Dale was the only player in the team who displayed any reliability as a goal-kicker. We will struggle up forward next year unless a few other players are reincarnated, rehabilitated or at least rejuvenated.

Back