Religion The God Question - part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Athens gave us our political Democracy, our philosophical & literary heritage.....Rome gave us organisation, Empire & Law.

Christianity gave us the N/T, Jesus & the

Christianity is really just an amalgam of the O/T & Greece, with a reactionary component to the conditions in the Roman Empire thrown in for good measure.

There's just as much pathology in the Christian tradition as any other, as the current paedophile crisis exposes well enough.
No,many other cultures that predate Christ had the same logic!

God's not dead and here's the proof

Cynicism & nihilism personified....Probably should have come with a language warning also.

Couldn't set the bar any lower really.

That's not the same as crediting Christianity for coming up with it.

The O/T is about an eye for an eye & a tooth for a tooth.....The Christian message changed that to 'turning the other cheek' in the N/T.....That's a rather radical departure to a more humanizing effect.

Christianity gave us the dark ages. It was not until The Enlightenment that things started to improve in Western Civilisation.

The fall of the Roman Empire inaugurated the beginning of the so-called 'Dark-Ages', Though Gibbons has made it popular to blame Christianity for that fall.

Yeah. I'm still not crediting Christianity for inventing it.

I wouldn't think that anyone aware of the history of ideas would claim that.....It's still a central component of Christ's message though. And one which serves to differentiate the N/T from the Old.

The Core Christian message is a rather simple one about humanity & what it means to be human, when you remove it of all the institutional & denominational clutter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Truth is truth
Sorry what?

But coming from the mouth of the Son of God ( Jesus) you introduce the aspect of authority. It is written etc etc
What are you on about?

The Golden Rule didn't start with Christianity so Christianity doesn't get credited for contributing it as "the foundation of western civilisation".

Clearly the Golden Rule is not unique to Christianity so it makes no sense to point to the Golden Rule as one of Christianity's crowning glories.

Sorry what?

What are you on about?

The Golden Rule didn't start with Christianity so Christianity doesn't get credited for contributing it as "the foundation of western civilisation".

Clearly the Golden Rule is not unique to Christianity so it makes no sense to point to the Golden Rule as one of Christianity's crowning glories.

Fair enough.. “the do unto others “ statement wasn’t a big deal when Jesus said it and it’s not a big deal now. It’s a bit of no s**t Sherlock statement ..But in context with the rest of his ministry it has more umph.

“A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another”

“Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.”

Would you say the active promotion of love of our fellow man is one of Christianity’s crowning glories?

Ps I know Christianity didn’t invent love.

Truth is truth

But coming from the mouth of the Son of God ( Jesus) you introduce the aspect of authority. It is written etc etc
Ah yes, now we’re getting down to the nitty gritty stuff,I like where this is going?
Do go on?

The Ten Commandments are s**t bar 1.
But hey,even a broken clock gets something right twice a day!

Cynicism & nihilism personified....Probably should have come with a language warning also.

Couldn't set the bar any lower really.

Yep, I probably should have put a language warning on it.

In terms of setting the bar, the fact that the movie got made at all is as low as it gets. It deserves all the cynicism and nihilism it has generated.

Would you say the active promotion of love of our fellow man is one of Christianity’s crowning glories?

For sure which is why I have no problem with Christians (or any religious people) for that matter when they use the good bits of their religion to do good things. Problem of course, is the rest of the stuff in the Bible which has been used to persecute people for centuries. Unfortunately far too many people (from all religions) get caught up in the dogma and treat all ideas/thoughts in the Bible or the Koran or the Torah as equal. So for every crowning glory, there's a grovelling shame.

For those of you that are religious, I'd be more angry at the fundamentalists that put your religions in a bad light rather than atheist nihilists (love that btw) such as myself.

I would say that it is one of the valuable instructions from Christianity. But I wouldn't point to it as evidence that "Christianity is the foundation of western civilisation". Because it doesn't make that case.

Surely there are perfectly secular reasons to love your fellow man? You don't have to be religious to buy into that. Christianity isn't necessary for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back