CoastBhoy

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa
The Gold Coast could soon be awarded a league licenceFont Size:print Greg Denham, Australian football | January 27, 2009
Article from: The Australian
THE Gold Coast remains well on target for an AFL entry in 2011 and could be awarded the league's 17th licence as early as next month.

Bid chairman John Witheriff, who appears certain to stay on as the new club's first president, yesterday said he was not surprised when the league last month deferred its decision to formally endorse his consortium during a severe downturn in global financial markets.

"My thinking was always that a decision would be made by about February," Witheriff said. "The AFL are still crunching the numbers, but there is every indication that we'll get a positive outcome. We're confident about it ... and we've been careful about our (sponsorship) partners."

Witheriff, whose GC17 bid consortium has always been the league's preferred choice, said he was confident that yet-to-be announced club sponsors had not been detrimentally affected by the current economic climate.

He said major and second-tier sponsors were locked in but could not be announced until after a licence was approved.

The consortium, which comprises Witheriff, Graeme Downie, Alan Mackenzie, Bob Gordon and Dale Dickson, believes it has achieved all the entry criteria placed on it by the league last year.

Those criteria included a minimum prospective membership figure of 20,000 (which has escalated to more than 44,000), a major sponsor, 11 support sponsors and 100 business partners as financial contributors.

Witheriff also stressed any stalling of the licence by the AFL commission had no impact on the club's on-field development and progress.

Under senior coach Guy McKenna, who has a two-year contract, the Gold Coast will start in the under-18 TAC Cup competition in April. It has already signed eight teenagers and has a current squad of 40 players.

The AFL has underwritten the cost of the 2009 season, which includes an initial start-up estimate of $2.5million. Witheriff is also buoyed by the Queensland Government's decision not to hold the AFL to an existing contract which required the new club to play all home games at the Gabba in Brisbane until 2015.

The Gold Coast will not appoint its first chief executive until after it is granted a licence.

You would think on the GC17 Site they would update the site and try to keep the Gold Coast AFL public interested. All the other AFL sites keep spitting out stories no matter how trivial it keeps the supporters going until the start of the season. If they dont make more of an effort they wont have the support they want. The Titans stories in the paper and on TV keep rolling in. very little on GC!7.

When is the date in Feb that the licence will be finally decided by the AFL commission?

Hey Mr Crow, Feb 16 is when the AFL meet to decide our fate.
Either way i am really looking forward to the start of the TAC Cup.
Does anyone know if they have finalised our playing strip.
I can't wait to see what we will look like.
Count me in as a member and a die hard supporter. Carn the Coasters!!

Just want to add that now memberships are available it should be
a positive step forward and hopefully the AFL will grant the licence.

I'm led to believe it all comes down to the stadium deal with the state gov , but it might now be given the go ahead as part of a building stimulus package.

I'm led to believe it all comes down to the stadium deal with the state gov , but it might now be given the go ahead as part of a building stimulus package.

You're very optimistic. In reality, the Government and the AFL appear to have left the GC17 mob out to dry. Of course, when they announce that there is going to be no team, it will be couched in terms such as "tempoary delay to ensure success".

Make no mistake. Your team is dead.

You're very optimistic. In reality, the Government and the AFL appear to have left the GC17 mob out to dry. Of course, when they announce that there is going to be no team, it will be couched in terms such as "tempoary delay to ensure success".

Mate no matter what happens with the Government and the AFL via the stadium deal the Gold Coast team will be going ahead. The AFL via the draft concessions has gauranteed the Gold Coast team will be highly competetive and will definitely be giving the Lions a run for their money in a short time.

The sooner the AFL award the licence, the better. The rubbish that is being spruiked by North Melbourne supporters is just sickening. The longer the AFL delay the announcement, the longer North Melbourne supporters & some ill-informed members of the Victorian media can air mistruths about the club & the Gold Coast generally & be unchallenged in the process.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I smell a troll !!!

Spot on! I even like the name of the author, who is, sadly, no relation.

http://nofuninpublic.wordpress.com/2009/02/22/gc17-watch-waiting-for-godot/

GC17 watch: Waiting for Godot

February 22, 2009
wbBRISBANEgoldcoast_gallery__470x304.jpg
"Okay. Here's the plan. We count those seats as people who turn up to watch us tonight."

There is a lot of news about relating to the abject failure of sporting codes in certain markets this morning. While the eternal wait for an AFL licence for the Gold Coast team continues
THE GOLD Coast Football Club has still not been granted an AFL licence, which has become the subject of some concern for the stakeholders of what the AFL insists will become its 17th team in 2011. Even more concerning is the strange fact the club itself does not know why.
…Carrara Stadium was practically empty last night with only 6,013 people turning up to see the Brisbane Lions play. They must really love their Aussie Rules on the Gold Coast.

If the AFL keep drawing this decision out I can see the Gold Coast AFL fans dropping off.
The codes of sport already in place and about to take place ala Titans, Blaze and the new soccer team the AFL may miss the boat. Fans are not going to wait forever and their intensity seems to be waining as we saw the other night at the Brissy, saints game.

Make up your mind AFL give the AFL supporters of the Gold Coast something to feel passionate about.

Also GCFC annouce the Footy jumper this will add a little interest as well. You need to do your part as well.

You have a point Cruddy, but apart from the logistics and certain business details things appear to be going to plan. We have our token matches for 2009 sewn up, including the TAC Cup which I'm seriously looking forward to. The squad is growing, and we're still aiming for 2011. But it is approaching under 2 years now. It's time to sign on the ****ing dotted line.

Sorry mate I have been in a coma since December 2007, that stadium deal was only a few weeks away wasn't it?

It has been an eventful 14 months. I have some bad news and some good news for you.

Apparently, that stadium deal was dependent on North 'relocating'. Because North knocked that 'offer' back, it now seems that the QLD government is playing hard-ball in regards to the stadium.

However, I have some good news, too.

*Gilligan McLachlan hasn't been poached by other league administrations yet (obviously turning down big offers, is our boy Gilligan) and so is still heading up the expansion push. Inside sources tell me that if it weren't for trusty Gill, the AFL would still have not even met with the QLD government, let alone negotiated with them. However, the ever-creative 'Mc L' concocted a cunning plan and ambushed her during her weekly shop at Richies, and so managed to score one for the AFL, which leads me to the second bit of good news...

*The QLD gov has agreed to release the AFL from their commitment of all home games at the Gabba. All the AFL had to do was agree to host the Gold Coat's three biggest matches at the Gabba every year -- which is no problem, reckons Gill, since they have such minimal support on the GC anyway.

So there you have it. That is what has happened in the last 14 months. Don't worry -- those of us who signed up to gc17.com.au (including myself, my pet cat and my cactus plant (I call him 'Jacktus')) are still very confident that the AFL can deliver a stadium deal in the 'coming weeks'.

So there you have it. That is what has happened in the last 14 months. Don't worry -- those of us who signed up to gc17.com.au (including myself, my pet cat and my cactus plant (I call him 'Jacktus')) are still very confident that the AFL can deliver a stadium deal in the 'coming weeks'.

That explains how they got to 40000 "fans"...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back