Review The good and the wallpaper - Rd 23, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? I saw enough to know why he wasn't used more often. Good to see him get a taster, and he now knows the level he needs to achieve. However, the disappearing act he pulled in the second half shows just how far short of the mark he is right now. Definite potential for the future, but he's nowhere near it at present.
Yeah I was at the game and his first half was quite decent, second half he just clearly didn't have the fitness. I watched him fairly closely and there were a few times he got out on some brilliant leads but got ignored only for our players to kick it longer and deeper to a contest which was a bit annoying. Saw enough to think there's potential but you are right he has a lot more work to do.

I'm a latecomer to this thread. Spent half the day driving; was overnight in Nyngan NSW where they had THREE channels SEVEN, all of which showed the Sydney/Hawks game. *slaps forehead*
Belted woeful Carlton without Tex, Talia, Sloane, Smithers.
I've watched the game highlights on the AFC site. Some of the ball movement through the guts reminded me of better 2017-type play.
From AFC site:
"BEST
Adelaide: Laird, M.Crouch, Jenkins, Atkins, Ellis-Yolman, Gibbs ".

Ellis-Yolmen? Really? o_O Did he chase better?
Jenkins 7.2 --- did he work hard all game and throw his weight around a bit? Or were Carlton just soft?
Atkins --- 3 goals, was he influential?
McGovern --- can't remember hearing his name called in any of the highlights. Anyone know the story with him please?
Laird --- AA again this year I'd say and probable Club Champion too. Good on him.

Edit: how was Jacobs?

"Adelaide coach Don Pyke believes there has been enough positives in the Crows' year to make 2019 an exciting prospect."
Hmmmm. Sounds like spin to me. Fitness and pre-season will be vital issues.
I'll get excited about 2019 if he puts his foot down re: choosing his own assistants and gets rid of Hass. If he does the same things with the same people in the same ways he'll get the same (mediocre) results.
Come on, Don! You've still got credits from 2017. Stamp your character/authority on the team.

Bring on the Draft!

Last edited:

After Gooch's 4 bounce run last night, I thought 2 things. One, Cameron was never quite composed enough to do that. Two, imagine if we still had Cameron, I would say he woulda learnt a lot off Gooch, but then, even just in his own right, imagine having him and Gooch up forward. Imagine having Gooch, Betts and Cameron as your last 3 forwards. Just kick it to open ground in the forward line and let them run on to it! The defending team would hate having that prospect.
Chances are of Charlie was in the team Gooch wouldn't be.

Was at the game last night ....now i'm a big fan of Himmelberg, but he was completely out of his depth
1. He ran around most of the night, out of position & lost ......his body language reflected his feeling of not belonging .....but for a period of 20 min after his goal, he seemed so much more assured ....then it disappeared again

2. He's as thin as a stick .....and a) couldn't force his way to a good marking position.....b) he was so easily brushed aside when he had position.... i felt for the lad

Still a fan .....but plan for 2020 not next year

Was at the game last night ....now i'm a big fan of Himmelberg, but he was completely out of his depth
1. He ran around most of the night, out of position & lost ......his body language reflected his feeling of not belonging .....but for a period of 20 min after his goal, he seemed so much more assured ....then it disappeared again

2. He's as thin as a stick .....and a) couldn't force his way to a good marking position.....b) he was so easily brushed aside when he had position.... i felt for the lad

Thought much the same. Saw enough to be exited by him, but it won't be next year.

:thumbsu: Also has a LOT to do on his fitness .....struggled with his leading patterns (?) and repeat leads
Hopefully a big preseason will start to fix that and he can start smashing sanfl games.

Just watched the replay...

Still totally dumbfounded that Douglas and Mackay were given a gig for that game. Both provided sweet FA too.. Douglas is so bloody slow and gets caught holding the ball so easily..

Both of them shouldn’t be in the starting 22 next year and thus both of them shouldn’t have been played last night. Probably in the end was a good thing, would’ve won by more without the two of them!.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the replay...

Still totally dumbfounded that Douglas and Mackay were given a gig for that game. Both provided sweet FA too.. Douglas is so bloody slow and gets caught holding the ball so easily..

Both of them shouldn’t be in the starting 22 next year and thus both of them shouldn’t have been played last night. Probably in the end was a good thing, would’ve won by more without the two of them!.

If they didn't play, we'd be melting that Port and Essendon have picks before us.

He was never going to light it up but enough glimpses. His agility was the highlight for me. Strangely in most marking contests he was being held so once he can learn to combat that a little better he will be a gun

Jacobs got given a ruck lesson by Lobbe of all people
Thanks for the info, but sad/disappointing to hear.
I can't see how a break then a full pre-season is going to get Sauce back to his best. We don't appear to have anyone coming along to replace him, either, or even share the load.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back