News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno, we've already said we don't expect him to play 22 games. I'd also say we don't expect him to be the game-breaker he once was, but an above average player with a supremely strong on-field presence.

Just out of interest are players that aren't playing allowed to be on the bench or are the restricted to the box and stands?

I'm sure I've seen them on the bench.

I hope so. Even games he doesn't play he could potentially just as much value being there on the bench to give and relay instructions.
I doubt they will have him travel though, it would only be at home games. Which are probably the ones he will definately play anyway, and the Melbourne games.

I doubt they will have him travel though, it would only be at home games. Which are probably the ones he will definately play anyway, and the Melbourne games.

If he's not playing I doubt the travel would have the much impact. Interesting to see but I'm sure we're going in with open eyes and very flexible on how and when he'll be played in the interest of developing our young guns.

Have heard Hodge will sign for 2 years with the full intention of playing two. Thinks his body can handle it. I'm not too sure in that regard.

There seems to be an air of pessimism about Hodge's "body" not being up to it anymore.

Which no doubt is based on the general assumption that he "looked cooked" at the back end of last season.

But is this based on real empirical evidence or just a general notion that is out there?

Maybe he, like many other footballers was just carrying a niggle or two that was impacting his output on the footy field?

I have never really liked the Hodge persona but I would have to grudgingly concede that he a proud and professional footballer and if he reckons he can make a meaningful contribution on the field for another two years, I reckon I should take his word for it.

Moreover, if Fages has gone to a lot of trouble to bring him to the club, i am also willing to accept that due diligence has been conducted to ensure that we , the Brisbane Lions as a footy club see a tangible benefit in doing do and are not just topping up the Luke Hodge Superannuation Fund.

To a certain extent, we have been a cowboy outfit for the last 3 to 5 to 7 years.

Most of what I've seen and heard since Swann/ Fagan/ Noble have been on the scene has convinced me that they are doing their damned best to redress this perception. Consequently, I'm willing to accept that these gents aren't going to risk tarnishing their standing in the football community based on a huge gamble that might backfire on them badly.

Let's have a bit of faith peeps

Last edited:
Not convinced that talking a guy out of a retirement and then giving him a two year playing contract is a smart play. If he thought he was cooked enough to retire, why does he now feel like he can play on two more years?

Not convinced that talking a guy out of a retirement and then giving him a two year playing contract is a smart play. If he thought he was cooked enough to retire, why does he now feel like he can play on two more years?
Sick of clarko

Pretty sure I remember even durimg his retirement speech he said that he wanted to play on but he and the club felt it was the right time for him to move on. So he didnt take games away from the young boys.

Where did Hodge ever say or imply he was "cooked"?

Since their threepeat of 2013/14/15 the Hawks seem to have convinced themselves that they need to have a Purge of massive proportions.

Mitchell and Lewis were shamelessly shown the door.

Hodge ..........well he "retired" but was it entirely own his own terms or was he also given a "retire gracefully or else" utimatum?

Everything he has said indicates he thought he had more to give.

I don't understand the negativity.:huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a player I get no real buzz or the fact that he is taking a spot of a developing player but since Tom is out the door (it looks anyway) leadership is light on. Whom will step up when Beam's isn't on the field? It would appear to me that Noble and Fagan do not believe there is adequate leadership right at this point in time (potential yes). As we came last this may hold true. So I am ok with it but we won't know his impact for awhile possible even after he is long gone.

I feel as if Hodge has 1 good year left in him. If the idea of getting him is more so for his leadership ability on field, then i think the club is looking at 2 years with maybe 15 games each year. Basically just prolonging it out. I do believe that he is a very good on field teacher, and TBH, being able to have him out there very well could fast track our players and their ability to learn and execute the game plan that **** is wanting to put in place.

I don't think you get Hodge on a 2 year playing contract for his actual football output. Hodge himself has said he really enjoyed playing this year with the young guys and teaching him. Having 2 more years of this might help him figure out what he wants to do post footy as well. Perhaps a development role might be more his go rather than an assistant coaching type position.

Seem to recall some vent towards the club due to a lack of learning/coaching of the young kids. I have no idea how the payments offered might be structured 80% coaching + $x-amount per senior game played maybe? But I think Hodge has a lot to offer us. If I was one of the 100 games or less players I'd be looking forward to what might be learned of the coming years and if I was one of the few 100 plus players I'b be appreciating the sharing of the leadership challengers.

For me, it certainly seems to have more pros than cons.

GO LIONS!

I think we are ok for leadership, even with Rocky gone. I don't believe we are getting Hodge just for his 'leadership', more so for his on field coaching ability. But, a lot of our leaders are young, however Hodge again would be great for their development as leaders as well.

Have heard Hodge will sign for 2 years with the full intention of playing two. Thinks his body can handle it. I'm not too sure in that regard.

2 years at 12 or so games a season probably.

There seems to be an air of pessimism about Hodge's "body" not being up to it anymore.
Don't you think Hawthorn would be good judges of that?

What I struggle to understand is that if Hawthorn really thought he could go on for 2 more years, hell even one more year, why wouldn't they've kept him on, particularly if his leadership is as good as many would have you believe? Why wouldn't Hawthorn be squeezing every last ounce of his leadership if he still had all this footy left in him.

Hodge's on-field appointment makes no sense to me at all.

What I struggle to understand is that if Hawthorn really thought he could go on for 2 more years, hell even one more year, why wouldn't they've kept him on, particularly if his leadership is as good as many would have you believe? Why wouldn't Hawthorn be squeezing every last ounce of his leadership if he still had all this footy left in him.

Sam Mitchell?

Literally no sense at all? Not even "little" sense? Absolutely zero?

Hawthorn aren't infallible Gods. They have to make value judgements about their list like every other club.

They arguably blundered badly in discarding Mitchell and Lewis.

Mitchell was more than useful for WCE and Lewis ditto for the Dees...and Lewis looks like he has at least another good season in him

If Hodge wanted to play on in 2018, they may also have got that wrong by not letting him do so.

From the interviews and podcasts I have watched and listened to, I believe Hodge, Fagan and the media haven't quite been on the same page in regards to what Hodge's role/future looks like at the Lions. Unsurprising because the club and Hodge haven't really said to much, other than they are still working on what Hodge's future at the Lions looks like.

My personal view is that Hodge is nearly cooked, and that next season might probably be his last as a player. But he can still provide an invaluable role as a coach on the field and during training.

I have no problem with Hodge taking a list spot for next season. Even two if he's up to playing half the games per season.

I've always taken the long view on where our list is at. Right now we are still in the acquisition and development of young talent phase. Adding Hodge helps with the development of the kids.

I think we are ok for leadership, even with Rocky gone. I don't believe we are getting Hodge just for his 'leadership', more so for his on field coaching ability. But, a lot of our leaders are young, however Hodge again would be great for their development as leaders as well.

I tend to disagree about being ok for leaders. Some of our older players show some leadership qualities but none are the complete package. Some of the younger players may become great leaders but right now I feel that there is a void. Quality leadership patterns need to be installed right now. As blynd_freddie mentioned leadership/on field coaching (directing players etc) comes under the same banner. Is Hodge the answer - I don't know but the trend has to stop and this is worth a try.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back