News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Before the trade period I was pretty keen on 3 things:

Leadership - Hodge coming in ticks this box.

Small forward/speed - Charlie will tick this box if he makes it here.

Experienced midfielder - now we currently haven't heard anything on this one. I understand we will probably take an inside mid at pick 1 but especially with Rocky leaving I hope we have something else lined up even just to help with a bit more experience. Miles maybe??

Fagan said our facilities actually compare favourably to Hawthorn's current ones.
...really?

I guess we did get new all new weights a season ago when the gym flooded, so at least all that equipment is from the same manufacturer... and... decade...

Before the trade period I was pretty keen on 3 things:

Leadership - Hodge coming in ticks this box.

Small forward/speed - Charlie will tick this box if he makes it here.

Experienced midfielder - now we currently haven't heard anything on this one. I understand we will probably take an inside mid at pick 1 but especially with Rocky leaving I hope we have something else lined up even just to help with a bit more experience. Miles maybe??
Premiership player in Dalhaus would have been a good get. In the right age bracket too.
Try and get him next year as a free agent.

Pick 88 or GTFO.

Piss off. Pick 88 is for Brownlow winners only. What has this "Hodge" bloke done to be worth such a premium pick?

Anyone got any info about the "deal" we are giving Hodge?

I mean in term of $$ over the two years.

Dont think it would be fantasic, but might be decent for Hodge. Kinda an easy place to dump some salary cap short term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Julian De Stoop of Fox Sports just reported that Hodge will be on $500k per year.
Sounds fair to me if true for the role he will be playing on and off field for us. You would think D.Beams, and Zorko would be on considerably more than 500K, Rich and Martin would also be over that mark as well.

I want Hodge just as much as anyone else but that is disgusting... how can we offer Rocky similar cash to Hodge? THat's a very expensive 'coach' who will be lucky to get 10-15 games next year.

This is true but it's also the length of the contract, it seems like we were only willing to give 3 years to Rockliff. Port offered 4 x 700k (2.8mil) and we reportedly offered 3 x 600k (1.8mil). To match the money we'd have to pay more than 900k a year for the 3 years (assuming we're only willing to give up 3 years).

What was with Flog Barrett's sliding doors on BL today??

If
Luke Hodge hadn't 'retired' ...
then
he'd be a free agent. Meaning the Lions wouldn't get lucrative compo for their exiting free agent Rockliff. Yet another loophole to be rorted in this highly questionable free agency compo system.

WTF? what loophole?

Even if he was a free agent, our options would be
- trade for him for our 6th/7th/8th round pick
- wait until he gets delisted and pick him up as a delisted FA.
- Pick him up in the PSD

Obviously was very light on with Lions info.

I want Hodge just as much as anyone else but that is disgusting... how can we offer Rocky similar cash to Hodge? THat's a very expensive 'coach' who will be lucky to get 10-15 games next year.

But its only expensive for the next two years. I tend to think that not signing rocky was related to the fact that we didn't want to commit that sort of money to a what will be 30-31 year old mid who has played 18, 16, 17 and 20 games through a raft of injuries in the last 4 years at a time when we will have a lot of young rising talent looking for new contracts. I certainly think if it was a matter of dollars int he first 2 years we could have afforded him and may have done so, but if you project further forward then there are other considerations.

As mentioned too, Rocky doesn't accelerate the growth of our backline in a hybrid coaching role. I look at hodge's contract as two parts. One part playing and one part coaching. If we're paying him $350K to play and 150K to coach then its not the end of the world. The bonus is we get to count it under our salary cap, which we'd currently have room over the next two years as opposed to the footy dept spending soft cap.

On that basis as an overall picture its not that bad really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back