News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/luke-hodge-why-im-playing-on/

A good read for you guys I'd imagine. It'll take time adjusting to him in another jumper, but I've always had a soft spot for the lions after living up there half my life, so of all the clubs I'm glad he went to you. Looking forward to watching him run around again next year.

He said our jumper is weird.

Who the **** decided to bring this campaigner into our club. Disrespecting our jumper.

BURN HIM

Return of the Paddlepop confirmed.

I thought during this year that he could've played on if he lost some weight, so I think that's what he needs to do now. He was quite trim during the Premiership years, probably needs to get back to that.

Good luck.
Doing a pre-season in brisbane weather should help with that- or just make him want to retire again :p

Apart from obviously training Harris as our captain in waiting, two players I'd love to see Hodge take under his wing are Mayes and Cutler.

Mayes just needs that extra push and self-belief to go to the next level. He still plays a bit "polite" and within himself.

And Cutler just needs to find his way again in general before he is lost to footy. Needs to get back to basics and rebuild his game again from the ground up. Hodge is perfect to mentor both of them.

He's going to be such a great rallying force for the backline in general too. They need to develop a real sense of brotherhood and become a ferocious uncompromising unit.

Actually, I reckon he could be really good for McStay, who really impressed me last season in his transformation from mug lair to something approaching a very good defender.

He's still got a few rough edges that I reckon Hodge might be able to knock off pretty quickly.

Actually, I reckon he could be really good for McStay, who really impressed me last season in his transformation from mug lair to something approaching a very good defender.

He's still got a few rough edges that I reckon Hodge might be able to knock off pretty quickly.
Decision making his biggest flaw

Unbelievable from Clarkson - https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/lu...d/news-story/c6d8b840d4a496abf40e10c32a04a285

HAWTHORN coach Alastair Clarkson dug his heels in on what seemed like a simple trade sending Luke Hodge to Brisbane, delaying it until just before the trade deadline.
The move sending the dual Norm Smith medallist north was always going to be left until late in the week.

The Lions had other scenarios to consider, namely whether to match Tom Rockliff’s offer from Port Adelaide and how to orchestrate a trade for Charlie Cameron with the Crows.

But once Cameron was swapped for Pick 12, the Hodge trade would be a formality, wouldn’t it?

Yes, until Clarkson dug his heels in and decided to play hardball at the final hurdle.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the four-time premiership coach frustrated Brisbane officials and Hodge himself in the dying minutes of the trade period, almost to the point where the deal could have fallen through.

Once seen as a formality, the trade quickly became a source of intense discussion between the two clubs because of the coaching great’s late pivot.

It is understood Clarkson was seething with the possibility that Hodge, a two-time Norm Smith medallist, could potentially walk to Brisbane for Pick 75. He wanted more and he made his thoughts known in no uncertain terms.

Clarkson had pushed Sam Mitchell out for Picks 52, 70 and 88 and Jordan Lewis out for selections 48 and 66 and he was not about to part ways with Hodge for less than what he thought he was worth — regardless of the fact he had retired for all intents and purposes until two weeks ago.

The hold up meant the Hawks and Lions then had to haggle for more valuable selections in the 40s, which led to the trade not getting ratified until half an hour before the 2pm deadline.

For Brisbane and Hodge, it was a little too close for comfort and frustrated both parties.

It’s believed he was even prepared to walk to the pre-season draft if necessary.

In the end a deal was orchestrated that saw Hodge and Pick 44 go to Brisbane in exchange for Picks 43 and 75.

The 305-gamer inked a two-year deal, filmed a video message for Lions fans in his new jumper and will head overseas on a holiday on the weekend.

You literally retired the guy - you should be grateful for getting anything

There's a reason why the hawks are such a successful team. Clarkson and his team always act with the hawks best interests at heart and are uncompromising in that position. Deal got done in the end, all good, we're lucky to have Hodgey and got him cheap. His influence on team culture for years to come will be priceless.

There's a reason why the hawks are such a successful team. Clarkson and his team always act with the hawks best interests at heart and are uncompromising in that position. Deal got done in the end, all good, we're lucky to have Hodgey and got him cheap. His influence on team culture for years to come will be priceless.
Yes that pick 75 and one pick upgrade in the third round is worth frustrating his ex captain who he happened to call time on in the first place. Ridiculous by Clarkson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear Damian Barrett has downsyndrome or some sort of learning difficulty.

Just launched in an attack on Brisbane for making Hodge retire so he isnt a free agent so it wont affect our compensation....apparently we have rorted the system. Guy has an unncesssary vendetta against us

Do you know what Down Syndrome is?
It's not a condition one can suddenly get or develop.

It's one that someone was born with and detected in or out of the womb.

To use it flippantly shows a great disregard for not only those with DS but disability in general.

Having extracted the negativity from this, very happy for your side with Hodge's arrival.
His leadership is first class and, if he can display the same sort of courage as PF 2008, it'll prove a ripper trade.

I hope he doesn't dominate my side like he's done plenty of times but I hope he plays a blinder against the Hawks.

Do you know what Down Syndrome is?
It's not a condition one can suddenly get or develop.

It's one that someone was born with and detected in or out of the womb.

To use it flippantly shows a great disregard for not only those with DS but disability in general.

Having extracted the negativity from this, very happy for your side with Hodge's arrival.
His leadership is first class and, if he can display the same sort of courage as PF 2008, it'll prove a ripper trade.

I hope he doesn't dominate my side like he's done plenty of times but I hope he plays a blinder against the Hawks.
lol dude relax

I think he made a good point. Don't be a dick. I don't think making light of a condition, or using it as a disparaging description of someone is grown up or very acceptable.

Maybe sit dayne beams and captainrich down for a cuppa and chat. dayne would provide some clearly needed insight.

I think he made a good point. Don't be a dick. I don't think making light of a condition, or using it as a disparaging description of someone is grown up or very acceptable.

Agree

When I was a silly young kid (that was a loooong time ago) it was common to use the term "*******" as a perjorative term for someone who was disabled or worse still, for someone who wasn't disabled but for whatever reason, didn't fit in or just wasn't liked.

Thank the Lord, that this horrible term is no longer in use (as far as I know)

Care needs to be taken with words............they can do a lot of damage. It's not being PC, It's just being sensitive to others whom those words can deeply offend.

Sermon over.

EDIT: I note that the swear filter has blocked that term that I used and for that I am actually pleased.

Suffice to say it started with S and ended in C

Remove this Banner Ad

Back