The Good Cop - Ron Iddles

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I assume there's a few watching this series. Interesting for me in that it's shown two killings that I didn't know anything about.

The most recent one on the murder of Bonnie Clarke, it was interesting to get Iddles' perspective and see that there's apparently a sort of pact between detectives not to be critical of a previous team in a cold case. I know they must simplify things for the sake of good TV, but it seems pretty appalling how slack they were on checking out the story of one of very few people who conceivably could have had the opportunity to commit the crime, without waking anyone in the house, particularly given it lay unsolved for well over 20 years. It seems incredibly lucky that Village (I think?) kept employee records on file that far back that they could establish that Malcolm Clarke actually didn't work on that evening.

Again, I'm sure there's a lot more to it, but from the episode, it seemed pretty straightforward and Iddles reinvestigation was only needed because the original team had developed the sort of tunnel vision that he constantly cautions against, otherwise they never would have discounted Malcolm Clarke as a suspect.

I assume there's a few watching this series. Interesting for me in that it's shown two killings that I didn't know anything about.

The most recent one on the murder of Bonnie Clarke, it was interesting to get Iddles' perspective and see that there's apparently a sort of pact between detectives not to be critical of a previous team in a cold case. I know they must simplify things for the sake of good TV, but it seems pretty appalling how slack they were on checking out the story of one of very few people who conceivably could have had the opportunity to commit the crime, without waking anyone in the house, particularly given it lay unsolved for well over 20 years. It seems incredibly lucky that Village (I think?) kept employee records on file that far back that they could establish that Malcolm Clarke actually didn't work on that evening.

Again, I'm sure there's a lot more to it, but from the episode, it seemed pretty straightforward and Iddles reinvestigation was only needed because the original team had developed the sort of tunnel vision that he constantly cautions against, otherwise they never would have discounted Malcolm Clarke as a suspect.
exactly right he gave an alibi and no one checked it out they were too intent on pinning it on the mum, very ordinary effort. bit like when milat shot at Paul onions in broad daylight on the highway cops didn't think it was a big deal until backpacker bodies started turning up

I thought the most recent episode was pretty poor to be honest. Completely uneven and though it had another theme 'Assume nothing, believe nothing, check everything." I'm not sure how that translates to the partial resolution of Jane Thurgood-Dove's murder.

I seriously thought it was going to be a two parter when they finally cleared the two main suspects with about five minutes to go. Why the Tuppence Moran digression? They should have mentioned when they were canvassing homes, whether or not they'd noted that Peter Kyprianou lived in the same street.

Don't mean to be harsh, but it felt like the lesson from this one is they should have put up a million 2-3 years earlier and they would have had their answer, those who were involved would have faced judgment before they died and not only would years of man hours been saved, Iddles would have barely had to leave his office to solve it.

I was surprised that the narrative was that it was fact that there'd been an ongoing affair between JTD and the police officer who was suspected. I was always under the impression that his advances had been rebuffed, although, of course that may have just been a tactic by the media to make her story even more sympathetic.

loving the series Ron is a legend but every episode so far there has been a major police muck up, not by him though. one things for sure: I'm getting a trench coat this winter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Ms Gobbo queried on Chartres-Abbott statement
By Tammy Mills
'Vampire gigolo' Shane Chartres-Abbott leaves the County Court in 2003.

'Vampire gigolo' Shane Chartres-Abbott leaves the County Court in 2003.CREDIT:ANDREW DE LA RUE
Ms Gobbo is being asked about a statement she made to police in 2009 to former detectives Ron Iddles and Steve Waddell about murder of Shane Chartres-Abbott, also known as the vampire gigolo.
This is of interest because the commission was last year shown a statement from Ms Gobbo that says Mark Perry - who was later acquitted of the murder - confessed to the murder to her.
Ms Gobbo says she never said that and the first time she realised it was added into the statement was when it was shown to the commission."

"Ms Gobbo queried on Chartres-Abbott statement
By Tammy Mills
'Vampire gigolo' Shane Chartres-Abbott leaves the County Court in 2003.'Vampire gigolo' Shane Chartres-Abbott leaves the County Court in 2003.

'Vampire gigolo' Shane Chartres-Abbott leaves the County Court in 2003.CREDIT:ANDREW DE LA RUE
Ms Gobbo is being asked about a statement she made to police in 2009 to former detectives Ron Iddles and Steve Waddell about murder of Shane Chartres-Abbott, also known as the vampire gigolo.
This is of interest because the commission was last year shown a statement from Ms Gobbo that says Mark Perry - who was later acquitted of the murder - confessed to the murder to her.
Ms Gobbo says she never said that and the first time she realised it was added into the statement was when it was shown to the commission."

Do we know who it is she's suggesting altered the statement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back