Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Great News.gif

Welcome to the Good News Thread!

The SRP Board is an inherently contentious space due to the nature of what is discussed. However, I think there's a little too much focus on animosity, arguments and disagreement when I think the reality is that most of us would agree on most things. Some may find that hard to believe, but consider: we all live in the same society (on a micro or a macro level), are subject to the same rules and laws which the vast majority adhere to, have similar (if not identical) moral frameworks and a shared love of footy. The areas we disagree on are usually the 'how' and not always the 'what' when it comes to problems and issues. Most will say "Yep, there's a problem there," but find ourselves at loggerheads about how to define or solve the problem. This is pretty normal.

But also normal is the significant number of things almost everyone can get behind, see as positive for society or appreciate. So, this thread is a space for people to share things they find that are Good News, and a place to generally engage with other posters (particularly the ones you disagree with) in a non-adversarial atmosphere i.e. to meet someone halfway and perhaps see the best in them.

SO, please share the good news you come across! It can be anything from small to large; a fluff piece you'd normally see for 30 seconds on the news, a report or study that shows some good news about the state of society, breakthrough news about a new cure for a terrible disease - whatever! This is stuff that happens all the time and we largely ignore it, but they are good for the soul and for some perspective.

Of course, some ground rules are needed. This thread is not a chance to sink the boots into the 'other side' after some bad news for them, or a place to post highly contentious material that you think is good but is clearly not supported by the overwhelming majority. Genuinely good stuff only! And we can all tell what that stuff is when we see it. After all, we are all human (despite perhaps me calling some of you mutants somewhere along the way). If you are unsure whether you are human, you can take the test below:

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Tried looking through news.com for some feel-good stories but it's 90% bullshit about celebrities, sport and bad parents, and 10% Trump. Might have to cast the net wider. Bloody news sites. No wonder there seems to be an inflated view of "Everything is terrible and the world sucks" among people.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Okay, now I have gotten that out of my system................most good news comes from science, of course.

Published 2 days ago:

New vaccine strategy boosts T-cell therapy

Super-charging a treatment for leukemia also makes it effective on solid tumors.

Anne Trafton | MIT News Office
July 11, 2019

A promising new way to treat some types of cancer is to program the patient’s own T cells to destroy the cancerous cells. This approach, termed CAR-T cell therapy, is now used to combat some types of leukemia, but so far it has not worked well against solid tumors such as lung or breast tumors.
MIT researchers have now devised a way to super-charge this therapy so that it could be used as a weapon against nearly any type of cancer. The research team developed a vaccine that dramatically boosts the antitumor T cell population and allows the cells to vigorously invade solid tumors.
In a study of mice, the researchers found that they could completely eliminate solid tumors in 60 percent of the animals that were given T-cell therapy along with the booster vaccination. Engineered T cells on their own had almost no effect.

Read more: https://news.mit.edu/2019/car-t-cell-therapy-cancer-0711

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
There's a joke in there about cancer cure vs getting autism but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I have more good news.....................that's..........

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Tried looking through news.com for some feel-good stories but it's 90% bulls**t about celebrities, sport and bad parents, and 10% Trump. Might have to cast the net wider. Bloody news sites. No wonder there seems to be an inflated view of "Everything is terrible and the world sucks" among people.
Never go on News.com.au - that was your first mistake. If you want some real good news go to ABC - nothing to do with bias etc but they actually report news not what a celebrity ate.

Such as https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-13/competitive-rabbit-hopping/11302844

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Never go on News.com.au - that was your first mistake. If you want some real good news go to ABC - nothing to do with bias etc but they actually report news not what a celebrity ate.
Thought news.com might deal in fluff pieces but I couldn't stomach scrolling any further beyond what was on the main page to find out.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Thought news.com might deal in fluff pieces but I couldn't stomach scrolling any further beyond what was on the main page to find out.
Well the ABC has a section for you:

This one is good:

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Driving a van as an electrical apprentice, the radio mentions the breakthrough just made by Aussie scientists regarding the cervical cancer vaccine.

I say to my colleague in the passenger seat "man, there's people out their curing cancer, and here we are driving around installing powerpoints".

He responded: "those scientists couldn't do their jobs without power points m8".

So the good news is we all contribute to greatness in a way, from pimply barista to genius researcher. You cucks are all beautiful to me!

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Driving a van as an electrical apprentice, the radio mentions the breakthrough just made by Aussie scientists regarding the cervical cancer vaccine.

I say to my colleague in the passenger seat "man, there's people out their curing cancer, and here we are driving around installing powerpoints".

He responded: "those scientists couldn't do their jobs without power points m8".

So the good news is we all contribute to greatness in a way, from pimply barista to genius researcher. You cucks are all beautiful to me!
Even social media managers?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Ahem....................to install power points perfected by scientists, in a van perfected by scientists.

You guys bring the screwdriver.

The superheroes of this planet don't wear capes, they wear white lab coats (and possibly a cape at times).

Back