Analysis The good, the bad and the ugly (Carlton)

Remove this Banner Ad

The best part was we learnt to win "ugly", winning a close game when the game was there to be won. It's just an important as a big margin win to a lowly-ranked side. Finals Footy will often lead to tight first halves. So we need to have the mindset of handling the close, tight ones.
Carlton is underrated this year. They look like a pretty good even side across the forward, mid and back.

Carlton aren't underrated this year, they are third last on the ladder, they have lost nearly twice as many games as they have won and have kicked less points for than any other team, only Freo and Brisbane have worse percentage.

So just in case he missed it NTRabbit did you see how the coaches rated the Crouch boys :)

One coach gave Matt 4, one coach gave him 0. One coach gave Brad 4, one coach gave him 0. It'd actually help your argument if they got votes from both coaches, even a pair of 2s. Wildly split votes like this game indicate a big difference in mindset or philosophy between the two head coaches, and so far quite a few people in this thread think Pyke was outcoached again on the day.

One coach gave Matt 4, one coach gave him 0. One coach gave Brad 4, one coach gave him 0. It'd actually help your argument if they got votes from both coaches, even a pair of 2s. Wildly split votes like this game indicate a big difference in mindset or philosophy between the two head coaches, and so far quite a few people in this thread think Pyke was outcoached again on the day.

Nice try NTRabbit but even if you don't rate 1 coach the other coach gave a Crouch 2nd highest BOG.

So which Crouch is good?

Also they BOTH doubled your boy Cripps.. comment?

Well given the same coach couldn't have given 4 votes to each, Bolton must have rated one of the Crouch boys second best.

Face it, this doesn't help your warped view that Brad was awful and Douglas ok.

Time for you to retreat on this one.

Well given the same coach couldn't have given 4 votes to each, Bolton must have rated one of the Crouch boys second best.

Face it, this doesn't help your warped view that Brad was awful and Douglas ok.

Time for you to retreat on this one.

Douglas was Ok or are you waiting for Hampton to come back and spud it up or get another stellar performance out of galluci like he did against brisbane when we flogged them.

Douglas was Ok or are you waiting for Hampton to come back and spud it up or get another stellar performance out of galluci like he did against brisbane when we flogged them.
Hampton or Galluci have nothing to do with Douglas's game so not sure why you brought them up.

40% disposal efficiency with 9 turnovers isn't ok, it's shocking.

just rewatched the first quarter. Consummate lesson from the Blues on how to arrest momentum. At the 20 min mark we were 4 zip and flying. The Blues got possession and farted around from side to side for 2-3 minutes. It was excruciating to watch, the crowd was hooting, and they didn't gain any ground. They finally turnrd it over but we'd lost our run and didn't score again that quarter. They got one back with two minutes to go, cutting the deficit to 18. Very manageable. Well done Brendon Bolton. Cant help thinking if we'd done that against the Kangas in Tassie that match could have turned out a whole lot different. Hope Pikey looks and learns.

I think it was more like 5 or 6 minutes they were doing it for. And yes, it was excruciating to watch, but so was the rest of the game after that, so yeah... To be able to do that, though, you actually need to get your hands on the ball in the first place, so I doubt it would have helped us much in that first quarter against the Kangaroos. That was just Kangas centre clearance -> goal -> return to centre -> repeat.

Carlton aren't underrated this year, they are third last on the ladder, they have lost nearly twice as many games as they have won and have kicked less points for than any other team, only Freo and Brisbane have worse percentage.
Better to quote a bottom 4 team as underrated then a top 4, wouldn't you think? You see the way they played and they could have troubled a lot of the sides last weekend. Just looking at their recent record and they even beat GWS just a few weeks ago! They certainly seems to be improving a lot more than a lot of people have given them credit for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still no Douglas?

No he missed out but Cripps did score a vote but he was pretty damn good and Gibbs was a freak. Considering how poor carltons forward line is, it certainly shows how their mid kept them in the game, now if we had a player like Gibbs it could propel us to greater things

Thats right out of the handfull of quality players that want to move clubs he actually wanted to come to the AFC, we dont get very many at all wanting to come here, and especially freaks that can school us as he showed on saturday

The same places that regularly had thompson in our best last year?

I don't know. Curse these four independent experts and their opinions which don't agree with ours.

The same places that regularly had thompson in our best last year?
Thompson was good, in fact very good, in the first half of last year. He fell off a cliff in the second half of the year.

And for the record, there is no way I would play Thommo again and I wouldn't have extended his contract.

But let's not rewrite history please.

Thompson was good, in fact very good, in the first half of last year. He fell off a cliff in the second half of the year.

And for the record, there is no way I would play Thommo again and I wouldn't have extended his contract.

But let's not rewrite history please.

Firdt half is generous. Iirc it was first 7 weeks.

But those papers all kept listing him in our best in the second half of the season despite him being terrible

JJ's best game of the year I recon. Whoever stole his Coco pops and got him angry should do it again, he's a totally different player when he's throwing his weight around.

JJ's best game of the year I recon. Whoever stole his Coco pops and got him angry should do it again, he's a totally different player when he's throwing his weight around.
He copped some negative press plus also apparently there were some harsh truths from Pyke after the Hawthorn game. Was interesting that Jenkins and Smith were our two most improved - they perhaps copped the brunt?

Our skills (so good earlier in the year) are next to woeful now
Yeah, I feel the same way --- I thought our footpassing in particular was brilliant in those first 6 rounds, resulting in many uncontested possessions and that fluid run-and-spread overlapping footy. Maybe opposition pressure since then has restricted that somewhat?
Mackay [was] actually very significant as well ...
Mackays first half was putrid
You usually make pretty good sense but this seems to be contradictory. Was he significant, or putrid? or did he play a half-half game?
I'd never paid much attention to Mackay until this Forum --- he was a bit like a shadow or ghost to me, just someone who was always there and bobbed up now and then to do something useful. Most teams have 5 or 6 such players, the worst 5 or 6. I'd really like to see him exhaust himself one game and have a real impact, a game-changing or even game-winning effort.

I didn't really see this, either ==>
even Mackay busted his ass even if he's not always successful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back