Autopsy The good, the bad and the ugly Vs Swans R12 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit harsh on Gov... the back 6 has been disrupted. His intercepting role/skill depends on the rest doing their job... Cole Jetts Schoefied struggled without Bunga's direction.

It’s not harsh on him, he lined up on Buddy and was simply out of his depth. Dropped his bundle very early.
Shep, Gov, Jetta, Schofield and even Cole don’t need directions from Bunga, they are experienced footballers not in anyway in a development part of their footy career.
They had a bad day and couldn’t stand up when we needed them to, they had little help from our mids also, but no excuses for them are required. Was just a bad day and outside Shep nothing wrong with pointing it out.

It’s not harsh on him, he lined up on Buddy and was simply out of his depth. Dropped his bundle very early.
Shep, Gov, Jetta, Schofield and even Cole don’t need directions from Bunga, they are experienced footballers not in anyway in a development part of their footy career.
They had a bad day and couldn’t stand up when we needed them to, they had little help from our mids also, but no excuses for them are required. Was just a bad day and outside Shep nothing wrong with pointing it out.
This.

Was a mistake by the coaching staff putting him on buddy in the first place and a mistake as a player to award him zero respect.

After a loss like that you have to put everything on the table for analysis - we are one injury - schofield - off gov being forced to be that one on one defender - if hes given the job he has to make an attempt at it.

Good - Ryan's game was excellent, can hold his head high. Jetta was also pretty impressive.

Bad - The other small forwards were largely anonymous. No forward pressure at all, Swans basically walked it out of defence for the entire match. Smith in for Yeo was a baffling selection at the time and its even more baffling now. Gov did his best work up forward rather than down back.

Ugly - Vardy had an absolute mare, Willie will be having at least a week off if not more.

The ugly.
Losing Yeo and replacing him with basically nothing

Agreed. Smith was perplexing. Masten, believe it or not can play inside if instructed to do so. Better yet reward Ah Chee or M allen. Ah chee would have been closest (though inferior) replacement given size and aerial ability.

Cole and Duggan have been awful the past few weeks and today was no exception

Waterman looked great against the Dogs when it was a glorified training drill. Invisible again today

Bit harsh on Gov... the back 6 has been disrupted. His intercepting role/skill depends on the rest doing their job... Cole Jetts Schoefied struggled without Bunga's direction.

Yeah Hurn left a big hole. Gov had to change his role a bit but it didn't really work too well. We missed a massive opportunity to settle into the top 4 further.

Oh well- you win some, you lose some.
We've been here before, and you all know what happened?
Not sure it's worth over-analysing this match, it was odd before it even started- at selection, injuries etc.
Positives - we're 4th. Regroup. Refresh. Re-enter.
(def. need Barrass asap)

Agreed. Smith was perplexing. Masten, believe it or not can play inside if instructed to do so. Better yet reward Ah Chee or M allen. Ah chee would have been closest (though inferior) replacement given size and aerial ability.

Was THE perfect opportunity to give one of those two a crack at it. Not saying that would've made the difference but was just a really odd choice to bring in another outside runner who doesnt tackle. Completely messed up the mid balance which had gotten back close to something like last years finals form.

Seems our MC hasn't learnt to keep Gaff in that more outside role and stop trying to turn him into an inside guy.

On another note, think Hutch has burned up all his credits too now. Isn't offering much this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad - it feels a little like all our players have a designated role, and when we all play that role well, we win. But when they aren’t able to play that role, or the usual role players aren’t available, the players are completely neutralised.

Saw the first half, we looked competitive in the first quarter, tackling was good, getting a lot of inside 50s, but Swans getting way too much space. So many uncontested possessions allowed them to control and dictate play. Then I dozed off and awoke to a nightmare. Knew it'd be tough, but expected it to be closer and more competitive. Overall pretty disappointing, I hope we really take this seriously and go forward. Still set up for a belter of a second half of the season, I have faith we're capable. Same thing happened last year, and we should be in as good a position to challenge.

I dont even know how to analyse this game, there was a complete lack of pressure all over the park. Broken tackles everywhere, sydney just walking it out of defense.

The only thing we won I think was the i50s, by about 12 IIRC, which actually surprised me. Delivery into i50 sucked as there was no energy there - no one leading out wide add creating space - just bombs away to ugly pack situations. Fix it Jamie Graham.

Oh ****! Poor you! Our Sydney supporters must be so dishearted with our inability to win over there.

Did my undergrad in Sydney starting in 2010 and it was grim.

I managed to convert a Canadian mate of mine to Aussie rules. He still lives here and is a mad footy fan, which is great. Initially I got him on that West Coast high, but he wanted to follow a team that he could support in person, so switched in '11 to Sydney. It was deflating, I mean the Swans, what a betrayal.

My time in Sydney was bookended by an Eagles wooden spoon and a Swans premiership. Dark days indeed.

Happily, my very confident mate would later fly down to Melbourne for the 2014 GF. I enjoyed that one.

+
*Kennedy great early
*Ryan, Shuey tried hard.

-
*15 possessions to zero in the first 2 minutes. Set the tone.
*Really, really, really dumb from Rioli. With our injuries we can't afford to have a fit player sitting in the stands.
*Sydney had 46 Inside 50s for 18 goals. That is a horrible stat to concede. Are our defenders that reliant on Hurn for direction? They shouldn't be, there's still a lot of experience out there.
*What the hell happened from the tackling against Adelaide 2 weeks ago?
*For the love of all that's holy, Vardy must be dropped.
*If we can't beat a 3-8 Sydney, with 1 fit player on the bench after half time, then I don't this current group of players will ever win in Sydney. Mentally, they are shot ducks before the ball is bounced.
*The massive opportunity lost. The chance to go 2nd on the ladder, the chance to go 2 games clear in the top 4, the chance to end a horrific hoodoo.
*The continuing trend of blowout losses. 4 before the mid-season break doesn't spell Premiership contender to me.

Positives:
+ Flyin’
+ Get Hurn, Yeo, Naitanui & Barrass back after the bye. Also Ollen & Venables, whether it’s at AFL level or not it’ll be good to have a more competitive WAFL team/ competition for spots, just got Brayshaw & Franky back too.

Negatives:
- Garry Lyon. You won’t be surprised that the club wouldn’t look at Garry Lyon as a shining light on how McGovern should act.
- We were in it and then just.... stopped. Defence trash, midfield trash and the forwards pretty well gave up when they knew what kind of mood the other two lines were in. Can’t blame them really.
- Smith over Ah Chee was a BS call. Ditto Vardy & Hickey.
- Bottom 4 side with three on the bench and the lads still couldn’t be f**ked.

I dont even know how to analyse this game, there was a complete lack of pressure all over the park. Broken tackles everywhere, sydney just walking it out of defense.
Just dont want sore body to affect the holiday ahead.
Solution is simple: No win, no holiday. Or, no effort, no holiday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back