Autopsy The good, the bad and the ugly Vs Swans R12 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Willie rubbed out.
Vardy suspended.

MRP is a bit of a joke and once again being used as a weapon of equalisation. They probably deserve to go but when you see what has been let off or not even looked at so far this year you just shake your head.
The way he is going, Vardy suspended is not going to hurt us.

I don't know where 2018 Vard's is but I want him back badly!!

Willie rubbed out.
Vardy suspended.

MRP is a bit of a joke
and once again being used as a weapon of equalisation. They probably deserve to go but when you see what has been let off or not even looked at so far this year you just shake your head.

Understatement of the year. Thought both your blokes deserved a week but where are all the other suspensions that should have been meted out to high profile players from other Clubs.

Commiserations on the loss.

Just on the ground size, the SCG since 2016 is about 6m shorter than the MCG and 2m narrower than it, and it's very similar in size and shape to the Gabba, Carrara and Manuka. It's 5m shorter than Docklands and 7m wider. In an area basis, assuming these length/width measurements are all perfect elipses, the SCG has more surface area than a lot of grounds.

Compared to Perth Stadium itself, the SCG is 10m shorter and 6m wider.

I'm not sure these grounds, aside from Kardinia Park and (apparently) Launceston, are really different enough in size to make a huge difference to gameplans - we're talking about a fraction of a kick in length, half that at each end. Maybe there's enough different in width to impact things like kick-out set-ups?

Source from 2018 here

Ground - length - width

UTAS Stadium - 175m - 145m
TIO Stadium - 175m - 135m
GMHBA Stadium - 170m - 116m
TIO Traeger Park - 168m - 132m
Adelaide Oval - 167m - 123m
Cazaly’s Stadium - 165m - 135m
Optus Stadium - 165m - 130m
Spotless Stadium - 164m - 128m
UNSW Canberra Oval - 162.5m - 138m
MCG - 161m - 138m
Jiangwan Stadium - 160m - 136m
Etihad Stadium - 160m - 129m
Mars Stadium - 160m - 129m
Blundstone Arena - 160m - 124m
Metricon Stadium - 158m - 134m
Gabba - 156m - 138m
SCG - 155m - 136m

Just on the ground size, the SCG since 2016 is about 6m shorter than the MCG and 2m narrower than it, and it's very similar in size and shape to the Gabba, Carrara and Manuka. It's 5m shorter than Docklands and 7m wider. In an area basis, assuming these length/width measurements are all perfect elipses, the SCG has more surface area than a lot of grounds.

I'm not sure these grounds, aside from Kardinia Park and (apparently) Launceston, are really different enough in size to make a huge difference to gameplans - we're talking about a fraction of a kick in length, half that at each end. Maybe there's enough different in width to impact things like kick-out set-ups?

Source from 2018 here

Ground - length - width

MCG - 161m - 138m
Gabba - 156m - 138m
SCG - 155m - 136m

yeah, good call, must be mental then?

Source from 2018 here

Ground - length - width

MCG - 161m - 138m
Gabba - 156m - 138m
SCG - 155m - 136m

I think the LxW dimensions don't really describe our ovals particularly well. The depth of the pockets has a big bearing on how you move the ball and structure your defence.

It's not excuse for the towelling up Sydney gave us. They outworked us massively and their flood and rebound strategy has proven effective against us at Subi, Optus, ANZ and SCG. Swans are just a bit of a crook match up for us where we need to be on our A game.

yeah, good call, must be mental then?

I think gameplan is a big factor - Lyon in commentary was completely wrong in harping on McGovern like he did something wrong for literally playing the McGovern role that won you a flag last year. He had 10 intercept possessions against 46 inside 50s and 26 scores which means he possibly intercepted something like half of the entries that weren't scores, which is surely him doing his job. But Sydney had a very tall forward line (Reid, Franklin, McCartin and Blakey as well as Sinclair) which took like 16 marks in fwd 50, which has to be a result of one of three things - an ineffective or disorganised zone, mismatched defenders, or lack of impediment to the supplying midfield. It may have been a mixture of all three.

This was also the first game in which 2019 Sydney managed to move upfield quickly without costing themselves a lot of damaging turnovers, so it may also have been unlucky timing - you guys being the unfortunate team who copped something unexpected the first time it appeared, which is always difficult to respond to having prepared for something else. I would expect the Hawks with a fortnight to study what Sydney did, to be able to counter it quite effectively. You guys have form stopping quick rebounding teams by having good defensive-side positioning (see: the grand final last year) but perhaps weren't anticipating needing to do it against the Swans. And obviously missing Hurn and Yeo hampered being able to do it, or even to adjust quickly onfield.

Last edited:
The most disappointing thing apart from the loss in this game was the match committee. You don’t lose a big bodied mid and replace them with an outside runner when you’re playing on a small oval against a team that is great in the contest. We lost the game in the middle which exacerbated our lackadaisical efforts in the backline.
When Yeo went out, it should have been Ah Chee or at least Mallen in to add more grunt around the contest. Hewitt had a field day with his size and strength against our small mids. Also, FFS Sheed learn to tackle you downhill skier. :mad:

The MC didn’t anticipate that both Shuey and Gaff would be tagged even though Hewitt tags and Clarke had been doing s good job tagging in the last month ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The days of teams getting to midfield areas and bombing usually in Guv's direction are over.. for now.Teams are looking for the 15-20m pass [ or in Sydney's case 10m ] Those days will come back but not until our midfield comes back.When the pressure is applied teams dont have as much time to look,assess and deliver.The Bullies tried it and it worked for a while but then we put the clamps on.Stopping short passing is hard work coz there's more running involved.When it comes to pressure we have got "best in class" and we have showed that' but it takes its toll.Port first tried this frenetic type of footy and died in the arse.The Bullies tried it and died in the arse.Richmond tried it and died in the arse.I think the big difference with WC is that we have a lot of star power so instead of relying on a lot of superfit running ferretts we can bomb to a NN or a Ryan.Rioli can walk around you,Guv can mark on your head.Big defeats are hard to take but i think most of us know that in finals we will bring our "A" game but the way the game is trending we cant bring it every week or we"ll burn out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After going to the SCG for the first time it’s easy to see why we struggle there. The ground is ridiculously short. I noted a couple of time the guys were kicking off the half back flank and the ball would enter the forward line. Usually that would be a setup kick for an I50 entry or a stoppage. Same going back the other day. Just seems like a link in the chain is constantly missing and the forwards and backs just aren’t expecting it which means the mids are chasing tail all game.

Awful ground for footy.

After going to the SCG for the first time it’s easy to see why we struggle there. The ground is ridiculously short. I noted a couple of time the guys were kicking off the half back flank and the ball would enter the forward line. Usually that would be a setup kick for an I50 entry or a stoppage. Same going back the other day. Just seems like a link in the chain is constantly missing and the forwards and backs just aren’t expecting it which means the mids are chasing tail all game.

Awful ground for footy.
Nah sorry mate as we've been schooled on it's all about the surface area, of which the SCG compares favourably with other grounds.

Doesn't matter that 6m can be the difference between one kick out of the center leading to a shot on goal instead of 2. Doesn't matter that the extra space on the wings changes how you can move the ball forward. It's all about the total surface area.

I mean if we're going to get into the intricacies of ellipses I would've thought it obvious that when the scoring happens along only one of the major axes of it that it totally matters how those axes size up, but... nope, it's the surface area.

Awful ground for footy.
That's why they say that you don't need a CHF @ the SCG so perhaps we could have left Jack at home🙄? And yet other teams (particularly this year) have had wins there. So don't know why it is that we find it so difficult??

Who gives a turn how we play swans or cats in their utterly crap grounds. Game pans are heavily impacted by dimensions and we do well in perth, AO, Marvel and MCG so who gives a $#$% about the results on these grounds. Great choice MC for resting Yeo.
You do realise that if West Coast travel to VIC in week 1 to play Geelong, it will likely be at GMHBA stadium?
Radio station 3AW (31 May 2019) confirmed the strong possibility that Geelong will host the following sides at GMHBA stadium:

GWS
West Coast
Port Adelaide
Fremantle

Not Adelaide as they draw bigger crowds in VIC than WC.

You do realise that if West Coast travel to VIC in week 1 to play Geelong, it will likely be at GMHBA stadium?
Radio station 3AW (31 May 2019) confirmed the strong possibility that Geelong will host the following sides at GMHBA stadium:

GWS
West Coast
Port Adelaide
Fremantle

Well if it's GWS, i understand. However, it is almost close to zero chance AFL will allow Geelong play first week of finals against Eagles anywhere other than MCG. So you're half right.

GWS
West Coast
Port Adelaide
Fremantle

Whilst nothing the VFL do would surprise me this year, there's a pretty solid argument that the reigning premier v any Victorian club would draw a big enough finals crowd to have the game at the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back