The Good, The Bad, The Atkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that I just should have to justify myself but I will anyway. Here's the post I was directing my comment at.

"""hey shorty, post: 54730675, member: 18061"]Overreaction is Mikes speciality.""

If you are going to take pot shots make sure you have thick skin and you're wearing your big boy pants.
Pot shot ?? It's an observation most here would agree with.

By the way: Jenkins lost me with one moment last night and I don't think he'll ever get me back after it.

His failure to put any effort into defending the Fog when the Essendon players decided to rough him up was an embarrassment, and an absolute disgrace. He should be dropped for that alone.

A man his size who leaves a rookie player to get mauled has no place on the football field.

That and calling for the ball in traffic from Gibbs when Gibbs had a set shot inside 50. F Off you selfish prick. I couldn't believe he called for tha and then in turn created the mix up with Hampton. You called it Jerka (and you should not have) so man up and take a strong mark regardless of who else is there. Own it

I got some audio recordings of the 3/4 time huddle. Interesting stuff.
Went something like this:

• Pyke: Ok boys, we're doing well, just one more big effort, lots of agression, keep pushing it forward and we're home.
  • Sloane: HoooAAAH! Agression!
  • Atkins & Mackay: *holding back tears* *strangled choking sounds*.
  • Dougie: Sweet! I'm gonna smash a mutha *er!
  • Atkins & Mackay: No, don't do that! They'll get angry at us! *Actual sobbing noises*.
  • Jenkins: I've kicked two, done my part! *makes golf swinging action* *finger guns* *self high five*
  • Sloane: HEY DON, what about Fog and Greenwood - they ok?
  • *Greenwood and Fog have collapsed, are in a coma*.
  • Pyke: s**t. Ok, remember the inner stillness and mindfulness training we've been doing? Gets you focused. Let's take it to the next level boys! OUTER STILLNESS. Just stand there. Don't move. Reeds in the wind.
  • Sloane: Ur, what?
  • Pyke: What? Oh yeah, not you Eddie. You need to do more. Fly at EVERYTHING.
  • *Eddie jumps over sleeping Greenwood and Fog*. *Combat Rolls down to full forward*.
  • Pyke: Huh. Look at that. Everyone dismissed.

Good hit out. Disappointing loss.

Showed how much we rely on Tex and Lynch to connect from back to forward halves.

Great to see those players we aren't sure of get a run in a proper game early in the season instead of leaving it until it's too late:
  • Fogarty - will be a gun. Skill, physical, attitude.
  • Doedee - will be a gun. That was great debut ... will only improve.
  • Murphy - showed signs, tough game for him to have a big influence.
  • CEY - not for me, just doesn't do enough things well.
  • Hampton - nope. I'm joining Vader (after ribbing him about it for a while now) and saying his brain fades are too big. Would rather someone with fewer form swings within the game - someone with more predictable outcomes.

Of the others that are constantly under the pump on here:
  • Jenkins - kicked a couple, but god help me he is not a footballer a-hole. I'd swap in Dear / Himmelberg immediately. Jenkins will let us down agin. We all know it.
  • Hartigan - not great. Seemed to be a bit lost in a new setup.
  • Mackay - was fine, not much impact ... his kicking has gone to crap.
  • Atkins - that was as bad as it gets. Nothing went right, needs a rocket.

Gibbs was great. Sloane was great. Laird was great. Talia was great. Matt Crouch was great. I didn't think Betts was as bad as some on here - he was used up the ground a lot. Missing those few goals was a killer though. I also don't think Jacobs had his best outing.

Finally - those umpiring decisions that went against us - at the worst times. 19-12 against doesn't really explain how bad it was. I also thought Essendon were playing for frees a lot - throwing back the head - Especially Hurley, some of his efforts were Lindsay Thomas like !!

Anyway - losing the first game in Melbourne against a probable top 8 team with a second string squad is not the end of the world. From where we were at 3 quarter time, we should have been able to finish it off. But we didn't. Looking forward to getting some players back into the 22 and taking on the Tigers next week at home.

That and calling for the ball in traffic from Gibbs when Gibbs had a set shot inside 50. F Off you selfish prick. I couldn't believe he called for tha and then in turn created the mix up with Hampton. You called it Jerka (and you should not have) so man up and take a strong mark regardless of who else is there. Own it
That was all Hampton. The guy has the decision making of a toddler.

Not sure any of it was Jenkins fault although I get people want to pot him, Gibbs didn't have to kick it to him.

That was all Hampton. The guy has the decision making of a toddler.

Not sure any of it was Jenkins fault although I get people want to pot him, Gibbs didn't have to kick it to him.

Realistically all 3 had some fault, Gibbs simply shouldn’t have kicked to them, there was no benefit in terms of positioning for the set shot and all risk in terms of opportunities to fk it up. Too many of our players try this though, yeah sure it makes you look all team orientated, but realistically the best thing for the team is for you to go back and kick the f’ing goal.

Fogarty had the right idea, despite the fact he was kicking from the centre square, he took the responsibility, man’d up and kicked the goal.

Don’t fluff around with it in your forward 50.

Re Hampton and Jenkins, Hampton shouldn’t have called for it, but Jenkins was the senior key forward on the night, why the fk was he pulling out of the way for anyone? You’re a key forward buddy, barge through and take the mark, it’s your job!

That photo above shows how badly Jenkins confidence is shot, hes hearing footsteps constantly, waiting for the contact and hoping he doesn’t hurt. The footballs the last of his worries. He had a few good moments, but compare his impact to the presence of Essendons key forwards and he’s just not close. His game was still that of an outside HFF’er.

Last edited:
Just saw that we only had 50 tackles for the whole game. That's a shocking effort. Not sure how a senior player like Douglas goes all match without laying a tackle.

I get the whole ‘ it’s a long season ‘ argument over the loss but ,whilst not panic stations , to finish top 4 and give us the best chance for a flag we can probably only have 6 losses all season. The fact we are one down already after one round against a team that is ok but not a real contender is bloody disappointing.

Pot shot ?? It's an observation most here would agree with.
When you say "most" you lose all your credibility and it shows your weakness. It's like the weak kid in the school yard who can't stand on his two feet but instead will be like "let's get him guys........guys".

You just failed again.

When you say "most" you lose all your credibility and it shows your weakness. It's like the weak kid in the school yard who can't stand on his two feet but instead will be like "let's get him guys........guys".

You just failed again.
Lol ok, I should know better than to engage with the Village Idiot

I love how this board scream for playing the kids and/or player rotation, then as soon as it happens and the structures go to s**t, the newbees look fumbly or unfit and our usual gameplan doesnt gel, we want them all dropped.
Play kids when numbers are thin so of course we lose and they don't stay in.

Challenge is to bring a kid or two in when everyone is available and we're playing well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play kids when numbers are thin so of course we lose and they don't stay in.

Challenge is to bring a kid or two in when everyone is available and we're playing well.

Just love that the analysis is that we lost because of those kids, rather than our multitude of underperforming senior players.

Just love that the analysis is that we lost because of those kids, rather than our multitude of underperforming senior players.
Not sure anyone is saying Fogarty or Murphy cost us the game. They were gassed but tried to impact the game, they just couldn't, Fogarty in particular. Up the other end Doedee was a guy who actually kept us in it.

Dani, chill --- nil desperandum --- it's a long season for every club/supporter.
We're not doomed by a R1 loss --- put Tex and Lynch alone back in last night's game = we win.
Pyke is level-headed and my guess (read: hope) is he has a plan which will ensure we're playing our best footy in the last 6 games. :)

See, this is what I need to hear. I am not level-headed, I am not optimistic in general and don’t pretend to know anything about AFL on more than a pure emotional level.

I need to read more level headed opinions!!

See, this is what I need to hear. I am not level-headed, I am not optimistic in general and don’t pretend to know anything about AFL on more than a pure emotional level.

I need to read more level headed opinions!!
Wouldn't come here for those !!!

How many times were all or virtually all flying both forward and defence leaving them to mop up . Don't they know how few contested marks there are in modern footy.
Allright for mids to get lots of touches but where was run and where was the efficient use by top ball getters -- Gibbs. Laird, Crouch and Sloane.
How dumb footballers are Hampton and CEY . Hope never see CEY in our team . Why Why was he selected.
I know said previous but why are they letting Eddie still go for those high flyers he started doing end of last year not only allowing free man on ground but taking away his strength on ground and where gets all the goals.
Until McGovern adds more to his game by leading and using pace and strong hands and not just high flies from behind he will remain spasmodic exciting but not player could be or we need.
Impressed with Doedee especially and Fogarty and like to see Murphy get another game.
Boy did we miss Lynch.

None of the kids should be dropped given Hampton and Douglas will be out. Thankfully the decision has been made for the normally jumpy selection committee.

I get the whole ‘ it’s a long season ‘ argument over the loss but ,whilst not panic stations , to finish top 4 and give us the best chance for a flag we can probably only have 6 losses all season. The fact we are one down already after one round against a team that is ok but not a real contender is bloody disappointing.

Of course it's disappointing. Any loss is. It's not bloody season over though.

How many times were all or virtually all flying both forward and defence leaving them to mop up . Don't they know how few contested marks there are in modern footy.
Allright for mids to get lots of touches but where was run and where was the efficient use by top ball getters -- Gibbs. Laird, Crouch and Sloane.
How dumb footballers are Hampton and CEY . Hope never see CEY in our team . Why Why was he selected.
I know said previous but why are they letting Eddie still go for those high flyers he started doing end of last year not only allowing free man on ground but taking away his strength on ground and where gets all the goals.
Until McGovern adds more to his game by leading and using pace and strong hands and not just high flies from behind he will remain spasmodic exciting but not player could be or we need.
Impressed with Doedee especially and Fogarty and like to see Murphy get another game.
Boy did we miss Lynch.

All this

Eddie flying for speccies is a sign we are in trouble. When Eddie’s flyin’ we’re dyin’

And only 50 tackles says it all

And people on this forum then complain we dont blood young players. Cant win

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Actually, I suspect that the people blaming the kids are the people who don't want us to move on third tier and below senior players and prioritise young talent.

Of course it's disappointing. Any loss is. It's not bloody season over though.
Agree - tricky draw though. Likely to return to Etihad 0-2 for a critical game v Saints. Pies at home then Swans away.

1-4 and we're cooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back