Game Day The Good, the Frustrating, and the Downright Awful vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally got a chance to watch the replay last night, and as most have said, the umpiring, for the most part, was pretty reasonable.

However, there was an incident in the second quarter, that had me fuming, but maybe marking rules changed and I missed it?

Kick came into our forward line and McGovern (the man IN FRONT) got full purchase on the ball with both hands, at the same time that Howe flew from behind and got full purchase on the ball, with both players coming to ground holding onto the ball. The umpire pays the mark to Howe. Someone (McGovern?) says "what about the man in front" - the ump says "nah, he (Howe) got hands on it first" WTF?

Has the rule changed? Does the fly from behind trump the man in front?

Nothing was said by the commentators, and from what I've read on here, no one has mentioned it (although I haven't read the gameday thread).

Did I imagine it or see it differently to others? was it just my supporter bias?

Yeah, it was definitely a mark to McGovern. Bad call from the ump. That said, his argument is fair - if it's what happened. If Howe got his hands to it first and then McGovern got his hands on it afterwards, Howe's mark. But that's not what happened. Should have been a mark to McGovern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back