The Goodbye Gil Thread - Who next? Legacy? Criticisms?

Remove this Banner Ad

The amount of racism in our sport has never been so bigger towards our indigenous players utter disgrace because it's never dealt harshly enough and rectified all under his watch.

What do you want them to do about travel?
Start by having a look at it, e.g:
Time/distance/frequency/overnights (Often reflected with an additional payment)
Home ground arrangements
Away ground arrangements
AFL arranged venues/FIXturing

Ideally the AFL would let its fans know what is considered & any conclusions.

Sadly no, it has been far worse, even in the AFL era.

I think we need tougher laws from the state and federal governments over the issue.

In England, most plonkers who are found guilty and proven of racially abusing any Premier League spends time in Gaol (with varying sentences from 6 months to 3 years)

We need something like that here ASAP.

I think he did well managing a very difficult time through Covid lockdowns and has overseen the maximising of the TV rights deal to ensure AFL is the biggest game in the country.

I think his main negative that will in time may define his watch, is the explosion in gambling that AFL has aided and abetted over the years.

Start by having a look at it, e.g:
Time/distance/frequency/overnights (Often reflected with an additional payment)
Home ground arrangements
Away ground arrangements
AFL arranged venues/FIXturing

Ideally the AFL would let its fans know what is considered & any conclusions.

And do what about it?

No offence Kwally but whenever the cry is some version of #VICBIAS! the post are always long on complaints and short on solutions.

Last edited:
Umpiring is a mess
Goal reviews are a mess
Tribunal / MRO is a mess
Reliance on gambling revenue and the excessive advertising
Players still clearly on drugs
About to bring in a 19th team when GWS and GC in particular are struggling
The list of fails goes on

The only positives under Gils watch has been getting the game through COVID, and AFLW, and even AFLW hasn't been without controversy. e.g Mouncey / transgender participation, pride round, etc.

And do what about it?

No offence Kwally but whenever the cry is some version of #VICBIAS! the post are always long on complaints and short on solutions.

#VICBIAS:Generally a cop out call.

The home & away fixturing is a hangover that does not serve the national comp well, particularly when the FIXture is the modern version .
Memberships are THE critical income measure these days & should not be overlooked in any review.

I dont have a solution, there are so many competing interests not least of all, maintaining the status quo. As a Cats fan you'd be well aware of commentary around your home.

#VICBIAS:Generally a cop out call.

The home & away fixturing is a hangover that does not serve the national comp well, particularly when the FIXture is the modern version .
Memberships are THE critical income measure these days & should not be overlooked in any review.

I dont have a solution, there are so many competing interests not least of all, maintaining the status quo. As a Cats fan you'd be well aware of commentary around your home.

Yep, that's what I expected. Complaints, no solutions. Some vague allusions to what might be done but nothing of substance. Change my mind if you like.

So the big tick of his legacy no doubt has to be AFLW.

I'm guessing the shitloads of cash from TV is good too - but I don't follow that side of it closely.
And cobbling together a season during COVID, without clubs going under, etc was underrated. Asking players to take a big pay cut would not have been easy.

When he started, he was all about the fans. Remember when he made pies cheaper? I'm not sure he followed through on that one well (the big picture, not just the pies). The big bucks don't seem to be flowing through to grassroots either.

His skills at sweeping trouble under the carpet were good, quite worthy of an AFL president.

Who next? I've said before to have someone with no existing connections to come in and clean up the boys club would be the best thing. But it won't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Legacy? AFLW and I have a feeling he will announce the Tasmanian team before he leaves
Criticisms? Not a fan of some of the rule changes bought in over the last decade or so, trying to make the game ''quicker'' and free flowing, doesn't often translate well. Feels like a bit of ''under the rug'' with the Hawthorne racism probe.

Whoever takes over next (I'm predicting it to be KWW) is going to inherit a fair amount of s**t-storm, concussion is going to play a huge part in shaping the game over the next decade, racism still an issue, expanding the game whilst propping up struggling teams, Tasmania + 20th team, re-invigorating the game at grass-roots level, all things that are going to be a challenge over the next decade.

Absolutely shithouse.

Further consolidated the AFL's reliance on Victorian Government money which leads to absolute corruption and bias.
The 2 Expansion teams are left to wither on the vine and are simply used as recruiting grounds for Vic clubs to further strengthen them unfairly.
Amazingly North Melbourne still exist.
AFLW is a cynical sideshow that exists to scam even more government money, whilst receiving disproportionate coverage/airtime/money all to the major disadvantage of far more deserving female sports.
The game itself has become terrible to watch.

In short, Gil sucks. He took over from Vlad and has run with it. The direction they set has been horrible and I doubt anybody can now re set it.

Umpiring is a mess
Goal reviews are a mess
Tribunal / MRO is a mess
Reliance on gambling revenue and the excessive advertising
Players still clearly on drugs
About to bring in a 19th team when GWS and GC in particular are struggling
The list of fails goes on

The only positives under Gils watch has been getting the game through COVID, and AFLW, and even AFLW hasn't been without controversy. e.g Mouncey / transgender participation, pride round, etc.
So you are saying that AFLW shouldn't have pride round, for the sake of avoiding controversy?

maximising TV rights? lol. Its candy from a baby stuff.
you have to be horribly horribly inept at your job to stuff up the AFL CEO job.
Sells itself.
Yeah true....

Then again... I look how the A-league is run and I think I could do a better job promoting that league

Yeah true....

Then again... I look how the A-league is run and I think I could do a better job promoting that league
the AFL are so lucky the A-league is a shambles. They kick so many own goals its not funny. The A league (based on world game figures) should be the dominant code in the country yet are so badly run the AFL and NRL dont need to do a hell of a lot to maintain their dominance. Any decent CEO could run the AFL and Gil hasnt done anything remarkable in his time in the job thats worth mentioning.

Absolutely shithouse.

Further consolidated the AFL's reliance on Victorian Government money which leads to absolute corruption and bias.
The 2 Expansion teams are left to wither on the vine and are simply used as recruiting grounds for Vic clubs to further strengthen them unfairly.
Amazingly North Melbourne still exist.
AFLW is a cynical sideshow that exists to scam even more government money, whilst receiving disproportionate coverage/airtime/money all to the major disadvantage of far more deserving female sports.
The game itself has become terrible to watch.

In short, Gil sucks. He took over from Vlad and has run with it. The direction they set has been horrible and I doubt anybody can now re set it.

Yay! You said the line Papa G!

Thank God Gil stayed on this year to help with the Hawthorn racism scandal. Would hate to think what would of occurred if he wasn't hear to smooth things over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back