AFL Grand Final The Grand Final awaits!

Remove this Banner Ad

o
reliant on the little red line telling them its a spelling mistake. In this case its not a spelling mistake, its the wrong word, straight through to the printer.
I thought "doubt-breaking" was a great turn of phrase for that GF win.

Not only did we banish any doubts from our own minds, we shoved it right up the doubters out there in non-Doggieland.

Don't like to post a negative, but does anyone else think this is weird?
Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I'd be holding onto my jumper if I won a GF in it. Or do they change at half time or something?
Here's the link by the way GF Guernsey Auction
  • You’re bidding on an official Western Bulldogs Grand Final guernsey, certified as having been worn by Marcus Bontempelli during the Toyota 2021 AFL Grand Final between Melbourne and Western Bulldogs on Saturday 25 September at Optus Stadium
1632468683476.png GF Geurnsey Auction

Distract yourself with the Storm game and only drink for Panthers tries

You’d be pretty sober if you tried that.

I’m going to crack another beer tonight every time Tommy turbo breaks the line. Not sure a dozen will be enough…..

But yes, I’ll distract myself with the Storm game but not sure how effective it’ll be. Kick off seems a long way away.

Not THE biggest issue tomorrow but if we win I hope the players from '16 do not do the wanky two finger thing in the photos. Just looking at Richmond's photo from last year and you've got some flipping three, some two, some not at all. Looks yuck.

You're winning it for your club and your teammates, don't make it about you.

Anyway, I know our boys wouldn't do that. :innocent:

The media coverage of this game has been genuinely pathetic. How can the Bulldogs as a club be expected to grow when the front and back page of the Herald Sun is Melbourne, first 20 pages are Melbourne, and we don’t really get a mention until page 85 and even then it’s just a focus on Josh Schache.

Tv is the same. All Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne. Seriously, us in 2016 and Richmond in 2017 didn’t get this level of one sided coverage.

Don't like to post a negative, but does anyone else think this is weird?
Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I'd be holding onto my jumper if I won a GF in it. Or do they change at half time or something?
Here's the link by the way GF Guernsey Auction
  • You’re bidding on an official Western Bulldogs Grand Final guernsey, certified as having been worn by Marcus Bontempelli during the Toyota 2021 AFL Grand Final between Melbourne and Western Bulldogs on Saturday 25 September at Optus Stadium
View attachment 1244873GF Geurnsey Auction

They'd surely wear 2 jumpers on the day for this reason?

You’d be pretty sober if you tried that.

I’m going to crack another beer tonight every time Tommy turbo breaks the line. Not sure a dozen will be enough…..

But yes, I’ll distract myself with the Storm game but not sure how effective it’ll be. Kick off seems a long way away.

It's a strategy to prevent passing out before the first bounce :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First row access today. Getting keen ladies and gents ! 🔴⚪🔵

Attachments

• A2CE073B-9E76-4631-98FE-CCC9860E6694.jpeg
    A2CE073B-9E76-4631-98FE-CCC9860E6694.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 372A8D1E-A1ED-4541-97E4-D5E069A928A3.jpeg
    372A8D1E-A1ED-4541-97E4-D5E069A928A3.jpeg
    661.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 6ECE1F10-8BBD-4698-AE82-AD73230057CB.jpeg
    6ECE1F10-8BBD-4698-AE82-AD73230057CB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
  • 2476C635-4DD2-4489-BADE-39E033536C20.jpeg
    2476C635-4DD2-4489-BADE-39E033536C20.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
  • 32DD09BA-4649-43FC-8E56-1DC213309CEA.jpeg
    32DD09BA-4649-43FC-8E56-1DC213309CEA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • 7D0FC5A1-FB4C-413B-86B1-5BE08F9BB085.jpeg
    7D0FC5A1-FB4C-413B-86B1-5BE08F9BB085.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
And this is how cocky Melbourne are:

"
If Melbourne and the Bulldogs bring their standard game, Melbourne will be too strong.

This is why Melbourne are ~80% chance to win in my eyes:
- Melbourne are the stronger contested team, having bettered the Bulldogs throughout the year and in the two contests between these teams during H&A.
- The round 19 game was a draw on “expected scores” meaning non-standard accuracy on the night was a major factor.
- Round 19, in the wet, was statistically Melbourne’s worst disposal efficiency game for the year, whereas Bulldgos went at their season norm which indicates a more significant opportunity for Melbourne to improve. Gawn, Petracca and Pickett all had their least efficient games for the year that night, which is highly unlikely to repeat.
- Round 19 saw the Bulldogs kick almost half their score (37 points) from forward stoppages, which is many factors higher than their average score from this method and therefore highly unlikely to repeat.
- Round 19 saw a statistically anamoulously high gap (41% margin) between each team’s normal aggregate “free kicks for” which is unlikely to repeat.
- Josh Bruce scored almost a quarter of the Bulldogs’ goals in the previous four hours of game time between these teams. His replacement is Josh Schache who won’t demand the same respect defensively.
- Stef Martin didn’t play in the two H&A games and is called out as a big difference maker, but I don’t think he can go with Gawn at all. Martin played 16 games across 2020 to 2021. Discounting one game where he got injured and subbed out, he could only better 77% time on ground twice so he doesn’t have the fitness to handle Gawn. Across that period if you make a Frankenstein’s monster of what would be Martin’s statistically best game (15 disposals, 30 hit outs, 4 tackles, 2 contested marks, 6 clearances, 1 goal) it’s probably still weaker than Gawn’s average game* across that period (19, 35, 3, 2.2, 4.5, 0.5). Add onto that Stef is a lovely guy, he doesn’t have it in him to be over the top physically brutal against Gawn as has been suggested.

* adjust 2020 for equivalent 20 minute quarters

The Bulldogs can win of course, but they will need to rely on the game being unusual and not following the norms established during 2021. It would require several of:
- masterful tactical moves by Beveridge that Goodwin can’t counter, the most obvious one being the Bulldogs change how they bring the ball into their forward line which counters Melbourne’s backline. If the Bulldogs kick long at N, while he will mark a few through the game, Melbourne’s backline will dominate as it’s too predictable.
- multiple “out of the box” performances from Bulldogs’ players, and not just the top line players as there will be plans to counter the obviously dangerous players.
- multiple “down” performances from Melbourne’s players, which if it happens would likely be related to Beveridge comprehensively out coaching Goodwin.
- persistent unusual accuracy or inaccuracy when kicking for goal.
- significant impact of in-game injuries"
DECADES AGO, but this is FACT. Prior to the 1958 GF, Melb had beaten Collingwood 11 games in a row, smashed us in the second semi, by eight goals, we then had to win the Prelim, we did. The Deees were so cocky they had a cake made, with " 4 in a row" on it, they were going for four flags on end. Magpies were the rank outsider, Melb were the hottest favourites ever, 100/1 odds against the Pies. Collingwood won, in footys biggest upset, ever. That Melb guy can waffle on bout all analysis he likes, GFs are weird, its on the day that counts. Dogs r rank outsiders, and thats always a great place to be. Dogs to cause an upset, i reckon, the underdog, pardon the pun, will get up.

The media coverage of this game has been genuinely pathetic. How can the Bulldogs as a club be expected to grow when the front and back page of the Herald Sun is Melbourne, first 20 pages are Melbourne, and we don’t really get a mention until page 85 and even then it’s just a focus on Josh Schache.

Tv is the same. All Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne. Seriously, us in 2016 and Richmond in 2017 didn’t get this level of one sided coverage.

Don't buy the Herald Sun. You're only helping them prolong their inevitable demise.

Given how much Ive posted about this subject recently. I cerated this meme. Seems germane.

5o3b9e.jpg

Look it up kids.

DECADES AGO, but this is FACT. Prior to the 1958 GF, Melb had beaten Collingwood 11 games in a row, smashed us in the second semi, by eight goals, we then had to win the Prelim, we did. The Deees were so cocky they had a cake made, with " 4 in a row" on it, they were going for four flags on end. Magpies were the rank outsider, Melb were the hottest favourites ever, 100/1 odds against the Pies. Collingwood won, in footys biggest upset, ever. That Melb guy can waffle on bout all analysis he likes, GFs are weird, its on the day that counts. Dogs r rank outsiders, and thats always a great place to be. Dogs to cause an upset, i reckon, the underdog, pardon the pun, will get up.

See that's it though, we're actually not rank outsiders, just according to the 'experts'. The odds (I hate relying on them) are 1.70 to 2.25 so basically even money and our midfields are even (we might even be ahead), so the hoohah that's built up around Melbourne has just solidified in people's minds that we're outsiders (fine by the way, we were against Port and Brisbane and Essendon).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back