AFL Grand Final The Grand Final awaits!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the crowd will be too one sided. Dees have the upper class reputation which will draw some to us. A lot of neutrals love how Bevo stands up for our players. Bont is very popular with many neutrals too. Think Dees will have some media focus over us (fair enough) but wouldn't surprise me if the crowd was closer to even. Although Dees supporters can probably afford the travel easier considering the ski resorts are locked down 😉

True but at $350+ for a seat, it's quite possible the neutral locals in the crowd might identify more with their upper class reputation :p.

Also doesn't help that we've piled some hard fought misery onto the Eagles in the recent years, while they probably look back fondly at those lovely Dees players rolling over against them in the 2018 PF.

Also their long suffering fans in Victoria deserve a day like we had in 2016, not a lockdown premiership where they can't go to the game, watch at a pub or even enjoy it with family and friends.

They wont realise it now, but i think their fans will actualy come to thank us if we deny them this time and they get that day at the G in the next couple of years (which they almost certainly should).
Except if it’s against us again…

If we win the flag there will be a few great stories as always. The players who have joined us from other clubs this year will feature - Treloar, Martin and Hannan.

No doubt a lot of the media attention will focus on Adam Treloar and rightly so after his shabby treatment and the much discussed trade from Collingwood.

However I reckon Stef Martin would be a great story too. 190 games at only 30% win rate before joining the Dogs. Four finals in his career for only one win - last year's QF against Richmond. Arrived as a banged up, nearly washed up footballer whose best years are behind him. Then plays 9 games for 8 wins including a PF and premiership medallion.

I'm not sure if he'd play on as a 35yo in 2022. Maybe if we lose he'll be tempted. A flag would be a great way to end your career!

TBH, Stef Martin frightens me. He's super ripped, super strong, and very experienced. I fear what he's going to do to poor Tim. :(
Hold on a second, it just occurred to me this wonderful human being no longer plays for Melbourne. In fact, he's playing for us!!!

That absolutely changes everything. EVERYTHING!!!!

The venue:

View attachment 1236447

I ride past Optus every day I ride in to work (which is when I took this photo), never in my wildest imagination did I think it would host a GF, never in my wildest wildest imagination did I think it would feature the bulldogs.

I think we have been having the same wildest imagination Dart.

If we win the flag there will be a few great stories as always. The players who have joined us from other clubs this year will feature - Treloar, Martin and Hannan.

No doubt a lot of the media attention will focus on Adam Treloar and rightly so after his shabby treatment and the much discussed trade from Collingwood.

However I reckon Stef Martin would be a great story too. 190 games at only 30% win rate before joining the Dogs. Four finals in his career for only one win - last year's QF against Richmond. Arrived as a banged up, nearly washed up footballer whose best years are behind him. Then plays 9 games for 8 wins including a PF and premiership medallion.

I'm not sure if he'd play on as a 35yo in 2022. Maybe if we lose he'll be tempted. A flag would be a great way to end your career!
Flag and retire on 199 games....declared. Has a nice feel to it.

Left field here ...... but if we won, I could imagine Libba saying you know what, I'm out too. Climbed the highest peaks..twice..in the most adverse of circumstances.....2 knee recos, young family, interested in other things......it would be very Libba.....and I doubt anyone would be critical. How could you be?

It seems strange to me that there hasn't been much discussion about how well we've played at Perth Stadium this year as part of the form guide.

West Coast played a half-injured team and looked the most physically not up to it team that I can remember in modern footy, but we still demolished them by 55 points, a win that really should have been about 80 points if we had our kicking boots on, kicking 13.20 for the day.

Fremantle was a very similar story - whilst scoring shots say we beat them only 13.15 to 9.11 (so even scoring), our shots were a lot easier on the day and we should have won by more without inaccurate goalkicking. A 28 point win that should have been 40.

Of course Melbourne played the stadium incredibly well last week - but without the associated home ground advantage of their opposition. I know West Coast also had no crowd, but Freo did, and both teams obviously know the conditions incredibly well, so to thump them both in the manner we did bodes well for how we play the game (and we will also get the away change rooms like we did in both games). Just hope that we bring the good form, but not the bad kicking, from those games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stadium looking good this morning, still morning here in Perth today - hoping for similar conditions next Saturday for a great game of footy.
28dc6b006e947bf54d9f1e16d46cfe12.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Stadium looking good this morning, still morning here in Perth today - hoping for similar conditions next Saturday for a great game of footy.
28dc6b006e947bf54d9f1e16d46cfe12.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
What's that wavy thing on the right? Is it the emotional rollercoaster?

Correct me if I’m wrong but the dogs had more I50s, contested possessions and clearances than Melbourne across the season without Dunks, Adz and Martin for a large chunk?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rough, back-of-napkin calculations, but damn we've been good this year, despite getting the rough end of the pineapple with injuries:

McLean - 22 weeks
Martin - 17 weeks
Gardner - 16 weeks
Vandermeer - 15 weeks
Richards - 13 weeks
Wood - 12 weeks
Dunkley - 11 weeks
Treloar - 10 weeks
Bruce - 6 weeks
English - 4 weeks
Keath - 3 weeks
Williams - 3 weeks
Naughton - 2 weeks
Weightman - prelim

Dees:

пустыня-desert.gif

Flag and retire on 199 games....declared. Has a nice feel to it.

Left field here ...... but if we won, I could imagine Libba saying you know what, I'm out too. Climbed the highest peaks..twice..in the most adverse of circumstances.....2 knee recos, young family, interested in other things......it would be very Libba.....and I doubt anyone would be critical. How could you be?
He seemed determined to get the extra year on his contract. He will see them out then perhaps contemplate retirement. Perhaps wants to play until his kid is old enough to understand and watch it?

Apparently Melbourne supporters outnumbered Geelong by quite a lot at the PF.
Apparently Port supporters had the wood on us in Adelaide as well.
Not worried at all about crowd noise having an impact.
We have shown such resolve and focus as a group so far that I think we secretly like playing against the crowd as well.

Based on my own anecdotal evidence (asking friends and family haha), it's going to be a fairly strong pro-Melbourne crowd, but given the number of neutrals that could change quickly during the game based on what's happening on the ground.
We've just had pro-Essendon, pro-Brisbane and pro-Port crowds, nothing new :) Keeping them quiet is the aim.

Are the boys still staying at the Tradewinds or have they moved closer to the ground?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back